budget reliable commuting bike, disc brakes front and back, single speed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

budget reliable commuting bike, disc brakes front and back, single speed

I'm looking for a budget single speed bike that has disc brakes front and back. I would like as little maintenance as possible. I assume I won't significantly benefit from full suspension since I expect to ride it mostly on roads (although those roads may have potholes). The priority is on reliability and low maintenance.

I am about 6 feet tall so I assume the bike frame should be 58cm.

I was looking at the Dawes Bullseye and the Gravity G29, but those come in a max of 21 inches, whereas I need 23 inches.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    In mtb sizing height and actual inseam determine frame size.
    Unless you have a sub 31" inseam for your height I would be suggesting a 19" frame.
    Go to a shop and ride some bike sizes for more info.

since 4/10/2009
    wtf, eb? You don't know what you're talking about. You just need to stop giving advice.

Road size numbers are not directly attributable to mtb size numbers. Road bikes usually come in sizes with smaller increments between sizes. MTB has larger increments between sizes.

TORSO LENGTH and ARM LENGTH (how far you reach) are what determine bike size. All that inseam does is determine seat height. Bikes are LESS adjustable in the cockpit length and MOST adjustable to accommodate different inseam lengths. So when choosing a bike, you want to choose one that feels comfortable to reach the handlebars first. Every other fit/comfort issue comes after that.

Since your question is specific to commuting, I suggest you visit the commuting forum. Folks there tend to ride different sorts of bikes that work better for commuting, and have similar priorities to you. Suspension of any kind is generally less desirable for commuting. Some folks use it because it's what they have, but when someone is searching specifically for a bike to use commuting, suspension of any kind is generally a negative. Lots of rigid forks. Steel and carbon being the most common fork materials people choose.

Please don't showroom your local shop (come in, ask questions, take employees' time, then go buy online - your lbs is not a showroom for online dealers, unless your lbs has an online storefront). If you look at local shops, choose a bike at a local shop. If you intend to buy online from the beginning, use an online fit calculator. There are multiple ones. Wrench Science and Competitive Cyclist have one.

RAKC
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    In mtb sizing height and actual inseam determine frame size.

Unless you have a sub 31" inseam for your height I would be suggesting a 19" frame.

Go to a shop and ride some bike sizes for more info.

Ok inseam/stand over thing is why I ride a bike one size small. ITS TOTAL CRAP. As said, ett/reach matters most for fit.

As for OP, your height 21" should be as big as you need, I'm taller (6'1.5") and ride 19" mtb currently which fits well for 90mm stem, 20-21" is better fit for me though for reach (ett determining which size)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Reading my post I can see Why F*kface misinterpreted it. He's got a big mouth and not much else in the way of logical thinking.
    Based on your 6' height you can't possibly need that big of a frame unless you have a very long torso.
    I skipped that part to say with that extra long torso you would end up with a very short inseam, something you can easily measure.
    So your idea of needing a 23" bike is very unlikely unless you are proportioned in an unusual way.
    Of course reach is the most important fit requirement.

Go into a shop and start by looking at 19" frame bikes give or take a half inch. That is what riders with regular proportions at your 6' height are most likely to fit on.
    You will learn what your size is. Compare it to the BD bikes or try for a deal at the shop.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Reading my post I can see Why F*kface misinterpreted it. He's got a big mouth and not much else in the way of logical thinking.
    eb, relax, put on some Allman Brothers, and get some vitamin B complex...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    -15F here. I'll listen to Do What You Like.