Budget biker questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Budget biker questions

I'm a budget biker (budget everything lol). Anyways, I have a Gary fisher wahoo with Judy TT forks. It's an older model without disc brakes. I have an old mechanical caliper for the front I can add, and may be able to get my hands on some better components for the brakes. adding disc to the front will be no problem, but I am not sure if i can add disk to the back. there are 3 holes where it looks like I can mount a rear caliper. Does anyone know if my frame is built for disc? Also I noticed that when it comes to rear brakes there are a lot of different calipers, unlike the front which are pretty universal, so which ones will work if any on my bike?

Can't feel my legs
    If the frame does indeed have db mounts, most set ups should work, may need an adapter. Don't forget you will need disk compatable hubs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanx Jpark

mtbr member
    So your Judy has caliper mounts also or are you planning on a new fork?
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Lets see a picture and go from there.

TRANCER
    Quote Originally Posted by emtnate
    Lets see a picture and go from there.
    +1
    Ride

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    unless that old mech caliper is avid- just stick with the v brakes. V brakes work wonderfully when adjusted correctly- and are still lighter than any disc offering. What type of riding are you doing? Unless its wet alot, or you are riding downhill (on a wahoo..) put your money somewhere other than brakes. Also- your hubs need to be disc compatible.

The biggest bang for your buck upgrade on bikes (almost always) is in your wheels and tires. This is assuming you are happy with your seat and controls- if you arient then the first thing to work on is seat, stem, grips, handlebars.

on another note- people seem to love those older judy forks- you did good there. I've bought 2 myself- 1 for a girlfriend bike, 1 for my mom's first mtn bike. I was shocked with how good they felt.

Members who have read this thread: 0