budget bike build ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

budget bike build ?

I have an older model Gary Fisher Wahoo, with Judy TT forks. I like the bike but it has a few issues. Today while hunting for a cleat (I use ONZA) yeah they are hard to find, anyways, while going from shop to shop, I discovered a non profit shop that has all sorts of goodies. Their parts are all used, and mostly older parts, but I found all sorts of things that I liked. My question is what should I be looking for in the bins when I go? For instance, in the buckets of shifters what would be some good shifters to keep an eye out for, or cranksets, wheels..........
    Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanx

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    nobody? Maybe I asked the wrong way. I will ask one part at a time. What are some good shifters? I saw a lot of Sram Grip shifters, the guy I ride with says they are a bad buy, since you may accidentally shift.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    What do you need? Is it a 7, 8, or 9 speed cassette? What kind of derailleur do you have?

It is hard to answer your questions without more information. I would not want to recommend shifters that are not compatible with your derailleur.

Did you figure out what you want to do with your brakes?

As for grip shift vs triggers, that's a personal decision. Both have their pros and cons, neither is better than the other.

AZ
    banned
    You might accidently fall off your bike but does that keep you from riding it? Grip Shift isnt for everyone , but alot of people wont use anything else . If you are looking for it you want to look for X9 or XO . Run the best shifters you possibly can .

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    It has a Shimano Acera 8 speed, the crank is a SR Sintour, and the Shifters are Shimano V Brake shifter Brake combo. It still has pad brakes, but I plan on converting to disc.

AZ
    banned
    Take your time , look around the site , be patient , you will find what your looking for . It takes time to find good deals , in the mean time ride your bike and look around .

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I guess what i need to do is make a list of all the components i find there and then ask which are best. Nobody else there wants MTB parts, all the want are the BMX and road bike gear. There's a brand new set of 29 inch tubeless wheels and tires there, but I am riding a 26

Members who have read this thread: 0