broke off rear derailluer...=(- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

broke off rear derailluer...=(

2003 specialized rockhopper comp. Been riding for 3 weeks, trails every other day. I can't really explain where I think it happened but I believe I cracked the rear derailluer hanger, so while riding today when I was pedaling there was a constant click noise I could feel in the pedals. On happened when I pedal. Well 5.5mi in, we stop I flip the bike over, start moving the derailluer around thought maybe something had gotten stuck in it. Well I barely looked at the thing and it just snapped off the hanger, so there goes our ride and a 5 mile hike back. Anyways I need some suggestions on a rear derailluer need the cable too as this one guy frayed on the hike back. Im working on a tight budget so suggestions for derailluers and chains, please reasonable I can't afford carbon fiber xtr components lol. Also I can't find a master link on my chain to remove it so I assume there is a special tool and or method to it. Any help there would be appreciated I'm gonna do some reading video watching on the subject now. Thanks in advance

DynoDon
    You can usually find a hanger for under $30.00, and its always a good idea to carry a spare as you just found out, to get your chain off, you can grind off two of the pins with any type of a grinder you can get your hands on, then pry off the side plate with a screwdriver or pliers, that will save you the expense of a chain breaker. Then all you need is a master link from your LBS, its a good idea to carry a spare one of those too.
    Those hangers are ment to break, its better to break a hanger then to break something more expensive. Good Luck

AZ
    banned
    Match up your hanger here: http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7...eurhanger.com/

Check some of the online retailers for deals on chains, you should probably get yourself a multi tool w/ chain breaker for trailside repairs.

mtbr member
    You may not need a new derailler if it didn't get bent but you will need a new hanger. If you need to break the chain the best bet is a chain tool. It is nice to have one anyway. If you are really cheep you can drive the chain pins out with a hammer, punch and block of wood but this is not recommened.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Well I'm market for new one, for the reason, its bent also.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I'm a fan of having a multi tool with a chain breaker incorporated. In any case, you should have one with you when you ride, and a removable link, so that a broken chain doesn't have to ruin your ride. Unless you want to carry an angle grinder or a hammer with you.

I have a Deore Shadow rear derailleur. I really like it. Cheap, has survived a few hits, and does the job. Any Shimano 9-speed (or fewer) rear derailleur will be compatible with the rest of your drivetrain, assuming it's Shimano.

Cable should be about a $3 part. For chains, I usually buy a SRAM PC-951. If you have 8 speeds, the equivalent would be the 851. Etc. It comes with a power link, which is nice, but I did have to get my spare separately. I believe in cheapish chains and throwing them out often, rather than having to trash more expensive cassettes more frequently because I didn't want to spend money on a new chain.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    So you need to buy 2 new hangers, right? Get a Sram chain with the tool less masterlink. I rode about 8 years before I broke my first hanger. I bent it and straightened it out a few times before it actually broke. Sounds like your derailleur hanger could have been bent and straightened a couple of times before you bought the bike. I assuming you bought the bike used?

You don't need to spend a lot on a new derailleur. A 200.00 derailleur will break just as easy a a 25.00 unit. Something like Alivio or Deore will work excellent.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Ok, got a new hanger, a new chain, new cable a chain tool and some new brake shoes. Further inspection of my derailluer it doesn't appear to be bent. The hanger was positioned in the hanger wich was making it sit wrong and appear bent.
    The employee at the bike mentioned something about the hanger needing a special tool to be aligned properly. I don't know if he was blowing smoke up my butt to get and get me to pay them to do it or what. But I'm gonna do it myself I want to learn. I'm an auto mechanic so mechanical knowledge and tools are at my disposal =) but any help tips or what not appreciated

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenFoot
    Ok, got a new hanger, a new chain, new cable a chain tool and some new brake shoes. Further inspection of my derailluer it doesn't appear to be bent. The hanger was positioned in the hanger wich was making it sit wrong and appear bent.
    The employee at the bike mentioned something about the hanger needing a special tool to be aligned properly. I don't know if he was blowing smoke up my butt to get and get me to pay them to do it or what. But I'm gonna do it myself I want to learn. I'm an auto mechanic so mechanical knowledge and tools are at my disposal =) but any help tips or what not appreciated

There actually is a tool to align the Derailluer hanger, the tech wasen't blowing smoke. If the hanger is not aligned correctly shifting performance can suffer. It should be a minimal charge to align one.

not really an mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    There actually is a tool to align the Derailluer hanger, the tech wasen't blowing smoke. If the hanger is not aligned correctly shifting performance can suffer. It should be a minimal charge to align one.
    Not to mention it's a really specialized tool, I can't imagine anything else being quite like one.

Keep The Rubber Side Down
    Someone beat me to the punch, but if you ever have this happen again, use your chain breaker tool and turn the bike into a single speed. it will save you from walking very long distances.

Good Luck!
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Yeah I just got a chain breaker tool today. just started riding 3 weeks ago so still getting everything I need on the budget I've got.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenFoot
    Yeah I just got a chain breaker tool today. just started riding 3 weeks ago so still getting everything I need on the budget I've got.
    Since you're already a mechanic, it will be very easy to make a derailleur tool. If you go to the Park tool website and read the procedure for straightening the hanger you'll see it's nothing more than a pry bar with a measuring device built in.

All you need is a piece of stiff aluminum c channel. an old derailleur bolt and a few spacers and a tape measure. I built one about 10 years ago out of scrap I had lying around and maybe used it 30 or 40 times and it still works like a charm. Whatever you make it out of, it must not flex at all. Something like 1/4" thick flat mild steel bar will bend a little and throw your measurement off.

If you like, I can post a pic of mine.

My spelling is atroshus
    I snapped the deraileur hanger and broke both jockey wheel when a stick got jammed in my cassette via the deraileur. Thank heavens it broke the hanger instead of my frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    A little stick can do a lot of damage. I got one caught in my derailleur and it pulled the derailleur into the spokes. Breaking the hanger, derailleur and wheel. I was going downhill at a pretty good clip but managed to stay upright. Had to push the bike about a mile. All because of a harmless little stick. LOL

Big Gulps, Alright!
    If the bike is truly 8 years old and has been ridden frequently, the new chain may require a new cassette as well. You'll know if the drivetrain starts skipping and popping when you pedal.
    Axle Standards Explained

Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

Members who have read this thread: 0