broke my presta valve.- Mtbr.com
    mtb n00b

broke my presta valve.

where can i buy one? I unscrewed it off, the turn thingy (pardon my newbness) was stuck, so I took a pair of pliers to loosen it, and snap!

any suggestions? also do new tubes come with new presta valves? thanks.

mtbr member
    You can't replace the valve on a tubed set of wheels. Just get a new tube from the LBS and you'll be set.
    :wq

mtbr member
    If your having issues with Presta you might want to switch to Schrader. Schrader Valves are considered more rugged than Presta. I only use Presta on my Road bike, just because of that fact.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

A wheelist
    Problems with Presta are almost always due to user error. I'd suggest learning how to use them properly rather than giving up on their benefits.

AZ
    banned
    dont give up on Presta , once you figure it out its all good .

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by amoroso
    also do new tubes come with new presta valves?
    Yes, new tubes come with new valves. The valve mechanism is bonded to the tube and cannot be easily replaced. (If you had an old tube with a good valve, you might be able to cut it and some of the rubber from the old tube out. You could then cut away the defective valve and glue in the good one. I have doubts though about the efficacy of this procedure.)

Your best bet is to get several new tubes. You'll need them eventually.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    If you buy tubes with sealant inside (factory filled), they come with a Presta valve, having replaceable core.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    If your having issues with Presta you might want to switch to Schrader. Schrader Valves are considered more rugged than Presta. I only use Presta on my Road bike, just because of that fact.
    Hopefully his rim is drilled for a schrader or you just wasted his time and money.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc
    Hopefully his rim is drilled for a schrader or you just wasted his time and money.
    6 dollars OMG Most rims are drilled for both, doesnt mean his is but if he gets the wrong one I dont see how my recommendation would make that my fault. Plus chances are his LBS will be installing it, just judging from the original post.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned
    6 dollars OMG Most rims are drilled for both, doesnt mean his is but if he gets the wrong one I dont see how my recommendation would make that my fault. Plus chances are his LBS will be installing it, just judging from the original post.

Most rims are not drilled for both , and once again you are dispersing incomplete or totally inaccurate information . To make the matter worse you insist on defending an indefensable position , in the process making yourself appear to be unwilling to concede the point no matter what . On that note I will bow out .

Old man on a bike
    None of my rims came drilled for both, just presta You can order schrader drilling with some rims, but not all (and doubt "most" these days). When buying tubes you do need to watch which ones you're buying, schrader or presta. The only advantages I can think of with schrader is if you're filling your tubes at the local gas station or for some reason have a schrader only pump at home (or if you're hamfisted and can't figure out how to use the presta valve).

It's not super hard to drill your own rims to schrader from presta, but much easier just to learn to use the presta valve properly. After unscrewing the core piece I wonder why it would be "stuck" and needing a tool to loosen it, although it usually helps to depress it briefly before attaching a pump to break the pressure seal.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

...idios...
    Most rims are drilled for both, doesnt mean his is but if he gets the wrong one I dont see how my recommendation would make that my fault.
    Many rims are drilled only for Presta. The point is: you don't know, didn't check, but still went on to make a recommendation. Unless somebody else counters your recommendation, it's possible that it's going to be taken as truth and acted upon. So what if $6 is nothing to you? Maybe it's a big deal to the poor sod you're "helping". And what if it's 20 miles from the trail-head when they discover that the valve doesn't fit?

Do you ever think about refraining from posting until you've actually learned something concrete? Everything you post seems to be either a link to one of your sponsor's products or some half-understood, C&P'd rip-off from another thread. Does it ever occur to you that you might not be giving good advice? Believe me, it occurs to lots of other people...

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

ILIKEBIKES
    Aug 2009
    The core is removable on a schraeder valve also- if you have the tool... That's how we used to seat a tire on an rim at Discount Tire: remove the core and blast the air in to seat the bead. Then replace the core and inflate to the proper PSI...

I know- too much useless info...
    "The free press doesn't serve the government, it serves the governed."

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I would just buy a new tube with a presta valve. The part you broke does not need to be that tight. Use your fingers to screw it just tight enough you can't push down on it and break the seal.

If you are using a tubeless set up, you can get a new valve. Just ask your LBS and they'll hook you up.

I've found the opposite to be true. Most schrader valves are thick rubber. A few times in my life, I have had them get cut up from the rim, especially when running lower pressures. Threaded presta valves with a lock nut seem to be the most durable.
    Last edited by emtnate; 11-10-2009 at 11:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    Many rims are drilled only for Presta. The point is: you don't know, didn't check, but still went on to make a recommendation. Unless somebody else counters your recommendation, it's possible that it's going to be taken as truth and acted upon. So what if $6 is nothing to you? Maybe it's a big deal to the poor sod you're "helping". And what if it's 20 miles from the trail-head when they discover that the valve doesn't fit?

Do you ever think about refraining from posting until you've actually learned something concrete? Everything you post seems to be either a link to one of your sponsor's products or some half-understood, C&P'd rip-off from another thread. Does it ever occur to you that you might not be giving good advice? Believe me, it occurs to lots of other people...
    At least I gave advice and didn't come in here with the soul purpose of trying to make someone look bad, when all I did was say
    See what I highlighted there? Makes my advice completely valid. I did not state they would fit, I did not say he should switch, I stated he might want to switch. No you can jump all over me about giving half the info but does any one every give 100% of all there knowledge into the answer? People always back someone up by saying something like "dont forget that some rims wont accept schrader valves" . There is no need to have a drag out fight with me because you have some kind of person grudge, and only post when it seems to suit your need to try and make someone look bad.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

...idios...
    At least I gave advice and didn't come in here with the soul purpose of trying to make someone look bad, when all I did was say...
    That's not the post I was responding to, so please don't try to misrepresent me.

I don't have a grudge against you; I just perceive you to be a generally negative influence in the forums.

Diogenes

Can't feel my legs
    If you would said something more like this:

People always back someone up by saying something like "dont forget that some rims wont accept schrader valves" . There is no need to have a drag out fight with me because you have some kind of person grudge, and only post when it seems to suit your need to try and make someone look bad.

Before you said this:

It likely would have ended there. Even a simple statement such as "all rims can be easiely drilled to accept schrader valves" would have left nothing to respond to.

Take a moment to think, before you post, and not just respond in anger.

AZ
    banned
    How long before this thread gets locked?

No good in rock gardens..
    I find that making sure you keep the valve caps on helps them last longer - many's the time a loose rock has flown in and bent or broken the end off an uncapped presta valve.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    my rim is not drilled for both

Old man on a bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideknob
    I find that making sure you keep the valve caps on helps them last longer - many's the time a loose rock has flown in and bent or broken the end off an uncapped presta valve.
    After it's screwed back in? Many times?
    suum quique

Probably drunk right now

It continues...

At least I gave advice and didn't come in here with the soul purpose of trying to make someone look bad, when all I did was say ....

You continue to miss the point to the advice that others are trying to offer you. Rather than take the comments as advice and learn from them, you lash out and consider them a personal attack.

You are not providing good advice to beginning riders. The problem that I have with your advice in general is that it's not based on actual experience, is sometimes correct but is often incomplete or simply wrong. And when someone calls you on being incomplete or wrong, you take it personally, lash out and contact Gregg (it seems) to complain about people picking on you.

Probably drunk right now

The correct answer...

Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    How long before this thread gets locked?

It depends on when someone asks Gregg to do so....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    You continue to miss the point to the advice that others are trying to offer you. Rather than take the comments as advice and learn from them, you lash out and consider them a personal attack.

You are not providing good advice to beginning riders. The problem that I have with your advice in general is that it's not based on actual experience, is sometimes correct but is often incomplete or simply wrong. And when someone calls you on being incomplete or wrong, you take it personally, lash out and contact Gregg (it seems) to complain about people picking on you.
    Everything was cool in here till you drag it all back up again, good for you for continuing a the downward spiral that had stopped
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned
    Everything was cool in here till you drag it all back up again, good for you for continuing a the downward spiral that had stopped

Respectfully , you started the downward spiral . Beginners giving advise about beginner matters usualy winds up with someone getting called out on some misinformation givin in haste . Inaccuracy is pointed out , point is made , correct information is givin , something is learned , apologies are made . It seems that you are unwilling or incapable of conceding any point that you are called out on , therefore making it impossible to move forward and possibly learning from the experience . I would hope that you could see that learning from these experiences is the important thing , not winning or losing . Please try to learn from the other more experienced that are here trying to disemenate correct and factual information .

mtbr member

See. That's just what Ken is talking about.

Ignoring your problems won't make them go away.
    Originally Posted by Vtolds/Dremer03---- "assume any bikes left unlocked and unattended are free to take"

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Try to indicate WHERE your advice and recommendations came from. If you read it some where, say you read it somewhere. Try not to give advice not based on personal experience if you don't have personal experience with something. Nothing wrong with saying, "I read that" or, "I heard that". That way you won't have to take responsibility if something goes wrong. Right? ...
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    All I did was suggest that he might want to switch the Schrader, and every one is acting like it is the end of the world of something. I'm sorry I was unable to see the entire picture, it simply did not occur to to me that his rim may be Presta only. Which it apparently is, but I dont see the owner pointing fingers at me, for my information I provided.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned
    All I did was suggest that he might want to switch the Schrader, and every one is acting like it is the end of the world of something. I'm sorry I was unable to see the entire picture, it simply did not occur to to me that his rim may be Presta only. Which it apparently is, but I dont see the owner pointing fingers at me, for my information I provided.

The "owner" prob. bailed out of this shiite storm as soon as he saw it . Please try to see that your incomplete or misinformation does no one any good what so ever . At the very least eat a little crow and admit it when you are wrong and graciously bow out . Instead you want to attempt to defend your position which invites continued assault . Pick your fights , you would like to at the very least have an opportunity to win one once in awhile .

mtbr member
    The "owner" prob. bailed out of this shiite storm as soon as he saw it . Please try to see that your incomplete or misinformation does no one any good what so ever . At the very least eat a little crow and admit it when you are wrong and graciously bow out . Instead you want to attempt to defend your position which invites continued assault . Pick your fights , you would like to at the very least have an opportunity to win one once in awhile .
    I managed to not post in here for almost 24 hours until Ken in Kc decided to post. I would have never posted again in here if no one would have decided to start talking about my previous post. So of course I return and defend my position. The sooner people stop talking about it the sooner it wont be a issue. If I did any harm to the person who started this topic, then I am sorry, but people dont need to keep talking about it which just continues a cycle of back and forth comments.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

That's damn yankee to you
    Aug 2008

Unhijaking thread......

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    Problems with Presta are almost always due to user error. I'd suggest learning how to use them properly rather than giving up on their benefits.
    Benefits like what? I think they are a pain in the butt and recently had the rims on my Trance bored out by my LBS to switch to Shraeder valves. The prestas were just a little too fragile.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    You know....... whatever bike they are riding, assure them its the biggest bike of any guy you have ever ridden with.

AZ
    banned
    I managed to not post in her for almost 24 hours until Ken in Kc decided to post. I would have never posted again in here if no one would have decided to start talking about my previous post. So of course I return and defend my position. The sooner people stop talking about it the sooner it wont be a issue. If I did any harm to the person who started this topic, then I am sorry, but people dont need to keep talking about it which just continues a cycle of back and forth comments.

If you had posted this yesterday it would have ended at that . People keep posting about it because you make it a point of contention . Not one person here is correct 100% of the time , but most are willing to admit it when shown that they are wrong . I learned a long time ago that if ten people tell you that you are wrong , then you are probably wrong . Dont let pride get in the way of learning something , there alot of people here with alot of knowledge . If you continue to be so contenstious you will continue to be a target for those that do know what they are talking about . I truley hope that you take this in a constructive manner , because that is how it is meant .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedGood
    Benefits like what? I think they are a pain in the butt and recently had the rims on my Trance bored out by my LBS to switch to Shraeder valves. The prestas were just a little too fragile.....
    To add on to what your saying I have had specific tube on my Road bike with Presta valves give me a constant issue of getting stuck inside the head on my pump. It could be my pump I guess but it doesnt do it on the other tube so I figure it is a issue with the valve. I beleive i have read before on here ( I have no specific topic to point at) that people have had to take apart there pump heads ruining them in the process just to get the valve out.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    To add on to what your saying I have had specific tube on my Road bike with Presta valves give me a constant issue of getting stuck inside the head on my pump. It could be my pump I guess but it doesnt do it on the other tube so I figure it is a issue with the valve. I beleive i have read before on here ( I have no specific topic to point at) that people have had to take apart there pump heads ruining them in the process just to get the valve out.
    Check your private messages.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    the two benefits that I appreciate the most are:
    you don't have to keep a cap on them and they still won't gunk up because once you screw the top down they are sealed
    you can bleed off pressure very easily by hand

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Benefits of presta, to me:

I like the rigid stems with the nuts to lock them. You can deflate a tube quicker by pressing down on the nut and not have to worry about pressing in on the pin. When changing a flat on a presta you can unscrew the nut and blow a little air in the tube with your mouth and save your C02.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I managed to not post in here for almost 24 hours until Ken in Kc decided to post. I would have never posted again in here if no one would have decided to start talking about my previous post. So of course I return and defend my position. The sooner people stop talking about it the sooner it wont be a issue. If I did any harm to the person who started this topic, then I am sorry, but people dont need to keep talking about it which just continues a cycle of back and forth comments.
    Well, that's the crux of the biscuit, to quote the late great FZ, right there. Why are you returning to defend a position you've been shown repeatedly is wrong? As I've been reading people asking why you can't just admit being wrong, I remembered one time in particular on this board I shot my mouth off without knowing what the OP was actually asking about. When told I was wrong, I said "my bad, sorry." I sought it out to post a link to it (to show you it can be done on teh interwebs), and when I saw who told me I was wrong, well, some here will certainly appreciate the irony:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...23&postcount=4

David B.

A wheelist
    In the 10 years or so I've been around here, daily, this sad thread has come up almost monthly. All that's been said here has been said over and over and over many times. Ok, I'll play with just one benefit fer ya - it's possible to put a whiff of air in a Presta by mouth prior to stuffing the tube into the tire. This rounds out the tube and goes a long way towards fitting the tube correctly, especially regarding the tube getting pinched under the tire bead. This all saves much time especially in a race situation. For that reason alone I'll use Presta.

But I come from a Cycling background and Cycling uses Presta. All my bikes - mtb, road, cyclocross and track use Presta.

You mention "prestas were just a little too fragile". My point in my original post that issues with Presta are almost always due to User Error is borne by the fact that in 47 years of using Presta in my cycling career I have never had ONE issue due to them being too fragile. I know how to use them and treat them. Many don't.
    So it boils down to this Mr Good, like the boxers vs briefs debate (yes we've had that too) use whatever you like and I won't care. It's just that when people come along and advise Newbs not to use them for whatever reason, some of us have no choice but to leave a trace otherwise.

Photog Cyclist.
    Presta rules schrader drools. But Mike T is right it was user error, but hey we all have suffered through user error at one time or another. For bike tire presta is just a better system, plus if you ever get a road or cross bike you only have to use one pump head, the Silca #30.

As to all the other whining ignore it and they will go away.
    We ride and never worry about the fall
    I guess that's just the cowboy in us all
    (Tim Mcgraw)

mtbr member

Respect...

Quote Originally Posted by amoroso
    where can i buy one? I unscrewed it off, the turn thingy (pardon my newbness) was stuck, so I took a pair of pliers to loosen it, and snap!

any suggestions? also do new tubes come with new presta valves? thanks.

That is some fine trolling. Very clever...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    So it boils down to this Mr Good, like the boxers vs briefs debate (yes we've had that too) use whatever you like and I won't care.
    I prefer boxer briefs.

mtbr member
    I prefer boxer briefs.
    +1, best of both worlds I think.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Just wondering, at the moment my front rim is shraeder and my rear is presta. I only carry a presta spare tube with me. Will this suffice for the ride home in case my front tube (rim drilled for shreader) blows? I know the shreader has a larger valve hole, just making sure I'm not missing something else incase of compatibility. Thanks in advance.

cliff notes: Can I use a presta tube in a shraeder drilled rim? Either temporarily or indefinately?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikflip27
    Just wondering, at the moment my front rim is shraeder and my rear is presta. I only carry a presta spare tube with me. Will this suffice for the ride home in case my front tube (rim drilled for shreader) blows? I know the shreader has a larger valve hole, just making sure I'm not missing something else incase of compatibility. Thanks in advance.

cliff notes: Can I use a presta tube in a shraeder drilled rim? Either temporarily or indefinately?
    Yes you should be fine. I believe most or even all presta tubes come with a little jam nut. If it has that you can just leave it in there. I dont know if there would be any ill affects of using the Presta tube permanently without tha nut.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned

Yes , it will get you home . There are bushings for this very purpose , should be able to get them at your LBS .

Probably drunk right now

You simply don't get it....

So it's my fault that you were forced to respond to this thread after almost 1 whole day of restraint? You're assigning me a lot more power over you than you should.

You shouldn't feel compelled to "defend" yourself from advice. And here's how to get people to "stop talking about it" so it won't be an issue:

1. Don't give advice on subjects on which you don't have actual experience.
    2. When someone disagrees with you, engage in an online discussion and don't take the discussion personally.
    2. When you're wrong, type these words: "I was wrong".

The sooner you become more self aware, the easier things will go for you.

mtbr member
    Once I thought I was out...they pulled me back in
    -Godfather
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mbtr member
    I think i've cut and pasted this 10 times by now.

Quote Originally Posted by scottzg
    I'm a huuuuge fan of presta valves- here's why.

*no spring loaded mechanism for the seal to get jammed. If that nut is tightened down, you have a seal.

*threaded valve body with nut makes it easier to get the pump on to the valve w/o the valve turtling into the tire

* no places for dirt to get inside when you don't have a valve cap on, waiting to get blown into the seal next time you pump up. I don't use valve caps on presta valves.

*no spring loaded valve mechanism means you can deflate/partially inflate the tube to put on the tire w/o having to attach the pump.

* half as many seals in the valve

*metal valve body is less likely to be sheared by the rim. Not a big deal, i know, but i initially started running presta back when i was really fat and using single wall rims.

*lighter- whatever.

*use the same pump on my road and mtb.

only advantage of shrader is that you can pump up your tires at the gas station. That's great if you don't own a bike pump, i suppose.
    and vtolds, they're all right. I would just stop posting in this thread and hope it sinks to the bottom of the list.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

A wheelist
    I prefer boxer briefs.
    Naww brief boxers are way mo' better. Especially with my Presta valve inside.

Old man on a bike
    Tighty whiteys? No way. Maybe a stylish euro type brief, but I prefer boxers for the most part.

How about flats vs clipless? BB7s vs hydraulics? May as well bring up all the classics.

As to the fragility of the presta, it is true that if you can mess up the valve if you don't keep the pump head straight, but all you need to do is manage to keep the pump head straight while pumping, and when you put it on and take it off. Pretty easy to do. For all the benefits (thanks for that list, Scottzg, I was thinking of that one), I can live with using my pump a tiny bit more carefully (and if your pump has a hose, it's less of an issue).
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

I have run presta valves in a rim drilled for schraeder with no ill effects. I tighten the nut down to the rim to hold everything in place, works great when you're pumping up the tube.

Some use a little rubber grommet in the rim to center the valve. I don't and have had no problems.

meow meow
    i have never seen a rim drilled for presta and schraeder together.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    They are not drilled for both , one or the other . Presta will fit in a shrader drilling as it is smaller in diameter .

mtbr member
    I must have, if you have seen a Wheel drilled for Schrader than you have seen one for both. You can use Presta tubes with wheels with the larger schrader whole. As explained there is a jam nut on most Presta valves that allows you to use it in the bigger whole with no ill affects.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Old man on a bike
    I must have, if you have seen a Wheel drilled for Schrader than you have seen one for both. You can use Presta tubes with wheels with the larger schrader whole. As explained there is a jam nut on most Presta valves that allows you to use it in the bigger whole with no ill affects.
    No, the locking nut really doesn't do that, there are specific bushings if you really want to use your presta tubes in a schrader drilled rim like these http://www.lickbike.com/productpage....=%271652-00%27 or these http://store.icyclesusa.com/shared/S...rce=googlebase.
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

So you can't fit a 6mm valve through an 8mm hole? You must have been the kid trying to fit the square peg through a round hole...

edit: too slow.

Bikinfool - I've never heard that nut referred to as a jam nut except from vtolds. , but as I posted above, I have used presta tubes with and without those rubber grommets and have not noticed a different. I tighten the nut down to the rim and haven't had a flat because of the larger hole.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    No, the locking nut really doesn't do that, there are specific bushings if you really want to use your presta tubes in a schrader drilled rim like these http://www.lickbike.com/productpage....=%271652-00%27 or these http://store.icyclesusa.com/shared/S...rce=googlebase.
    Good to know.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Are you talking about the nut that you tighten up to the outside of the rim when using a presta tube with a presta rim? What do you do with that in order to use it on a schrader rim? I'm curious here.

Also, BTW, rims have one HOLE for valves in the WHOLE rim.

David B.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife

An often overlooked component that prevents tube damage or failure .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidbeinct
    Are you talking about the nut that you tighten up to the outside of the rim when using a presta tube with a presta rim? What do you do with that in order to use it on a schrader rim? I'm curious here.

David B.
    From what has just been told to me you still use the nut, which is what I thought but it should be paired up with a rubber grommet to fill the whole and protect the Tube. I wasn't even aware of that little rubber grommet until just a few minutes ago.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

David B.

The proper thing to do, is use one of the rubber grommets linked already. They will size the hole down for a presta valve. You can still use the nut for added insurance, but it isn't necessary, there's enough friction with the rubber ring.

I don't bother with it, no problems here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    From what has just been told to me you still use the nut, which is what I thought but it should be paired up with a rubber grommet to fill the whole and protect the Tube. I wasn't even aware of that little rubber grommet until just a few minutes ago.
    Okay, I think I have it now. If I don't have the grommet, I can just use the little nut, if I want to use a presta valve in a rim drilled for schrader. Does the little nut just stay on the stem and go inside the rim or do I need to take it off and put it on the outside of the rim? With a schrader drilled rim this is.

David B.

mtbr member
    Okay, I think I have it now. If I don't have the grommet, I can just use the little nut, if I want to use a presta valve in a rim drilled for schrader. Does the little nut just stay on the stem and go inside the rim or do I need to take it off and put it on the outside of the rim? With a schrader drilled rim this is.

David B.

Thats what I thought, but I guess you use the nut and the rubber grommet so the tube does not get cut I guess. Either way you put the nut on the outside of the rim.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The nut goes on the outside of the rim, it does not matter if you are using a presta or schrader sized hole or if you have the grommet or not. It keeps the valve in place on the rim. This is very helpful when the tube is flat and you are pumping it up so the valve will not get pushed down inside.

The grommet just protects the valve and the tube from getting pinched inside the larger hole.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Wink

ok we have covered benifts of both kinda and how to use a presta in a scrader rim and that he just needs a new tube i know u guys thik this was useless but i learned some new stuff i say this thread is complete and i prefer boxer briefs

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by N.M rocks foo
    ok we have covered benifts of both kinda and how to use a presta in a scrader rim and that he just needs a new tube i know u guys thik this was useless but i learned some new stuff i say this thread is complete and i prefer boxer briefs

Yeah , one big happy dysfunctional family .

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    What happened to tubeless? I prefer boxer briefs too, but I haven't worn out my reguar briefs yet, so I only have a couple of pair. I will begeting some more as soon as my other ones wear out. Thanks for the reminder.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i can get lightweight presta tubes that dont pinch. i cant get lightweight schrader tubes anywhere local.

presta wins. plus everyone whos cool runs presta

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I noticed a set of those lightweight presta tubes last time at my LBS, they were a little 1.5x as pricey, but I picked up the box and it almost felt empty. Can you notice the difference on your bike and are they prone to flatting easier? Thanks.

Old man on a bike
    I noticed a set of those lightweight presta tubes last time at my LBS, they were a little 1.5x as pricey, but I picked up the box and it almost felt empty. Can you notice the difference on your bike and are they prone to flatting easier? Thanks.
    It's rotating weight, so less is a good thing. Thinner tubes might be more prone to flatting, but depends on the tires somewhat, your riding style, pressure, etc.
    suum quique

CSM
    Jun 2009
    Many tubless rims only allow for presta.

meow meow
    [QUOTE=emtnate]So you can't fit a 6mm valve through an 8mm hole? You must have been the kid trying to fit the square peg through a round hole...

and what do you do with the locking nut? now you have 2mm of slop for a rather fragile part. unless you are using a shim this is a bad idea. besides the nut is only about 8.5mm in diameter. i sure wouldnt trust a nut that was only .5mm bigger than the hole i was try to close. please learn what you are talking about before you try and call me out.

mbtr member
    and what do you do with the locking nut? now you have 2mm of slop for a rather fragile part. unless you are using a shim this is a bad idea. besides the nut is only about 8.5mm in diameter. i sure wouldnt trust a nut that was only .5mm bigger than the hole i was try to close. please learn what you are talking about before you try and call me out.
    The last line cracks me up.

I've got 2 shrader wheelsets running presta, and have for years. One of them is my commuter and it runs 85psi. My mtb has shrader drilled rims running a presta stans tubeless kit, works fine. Totally not an issue.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    So did Vtolds change his name so people wouldn't think it was the same person and he could pretend to be a second person pushing mail-order bikes on every new person with a budget? Or just to try to shake the illwill associated with the "vtolds" name?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StarXed
    So did Vtolds change his name so people wouldn't think it was the same person and he could pretend to be a second person pushing mail-order bikes on every new person with a budget? Or just to try to shake the illwill associated with the "vtolds" name?
    I can answer that. None of the Above. My Name was changed so it would match the name I go by on my site.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    I can answer that. None of the Above. My Name was changed so it would match the name I go by on my site.
    huh...i thought it was because of this comment:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...30&postcount=8

in this thread:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...light=stealing

then you got called on it....

your posts are entertaining to say the least....mostly misinformed...but funny...
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    Wow, you guys dont learn at all. I guess I should learn to expect less from adults.

Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    huh...i thought it was because of this comment:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...30&postcount=8

in this thread:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...light=stealing

then you got called on it....

your posts are entertaining to say the least....mostly misinformed...but funny...
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Wow, you guys dont learn at all. I guess I should learn to expect less from adults.
    well that's the funny thing....you have nothing to teach....so, from you...i have nothing to learn..

AZ
    banned
    well that's the funny thing....you have nothing to teach....so, from you...i have nothing to learn..

Sig worthy right there .

mtbr member

wouldn't think someone who has been on here for the last 5 years would have anything to learn from someone who has been on here for less than a year. For some I have been helpful, for some I have not. But at least I know the whole time I have been on here I have acted like a grown man, and not a little grade school boy. Considering the majority of the people on here are 15 to 20 years older than me I would say that is pretty sad on those peoples parts.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Can't feel my legs
    wouldn't think someone who has been on here for the last 5 years would have anything to learn from someone who has been on here for less than a year. For some I have been helpful, for some I have not. But at least I know the whole time I have been on here I have acted like a grown man, and not a little grade school boy. Considering the majority of the people on here are 15 to 20 years older than me I would say that is pretty sad on those peoples parts.

not it....you're right on advice about 1/2 the time...the other 1/2 you are so out of whack it's silly....but when called on it you turn into a...well....just look in the mirror....

...idios...
    But at least I know the whole time I have been on here I have acted like a grown man, and not a little grade school boy.
    What kind of back-to-front world do you live in? Seriously, have a word with yourself...

Diogenes

AZ
    banned
    Holy Baby Jebus , I just dont know where to start .

mtbr member

mtbr member
    not it....you're right on advice about 1/2 the time...the other 1/2 you are so out of whack it's silly....but when called on it you turn into a...well....just look in the mirror....
    See heres the thing, I have this ability to just let stuff go that doesnt matter. It seems to be something that someone like your self seems to not have. I bet if you went threw my 1500 posts you might find that I have helped more than 50% of the topics I have been in. A lot of the time I post, and people thank me and thats it. No one notices the good stuff but there is about handful of members seem to always be right there when I post something that is not what they consider 100% accurate. One might suspect that those handful of people are almost looking, or perhaps even searching for topics I have posted in to try and find a flaw in what I have said. In fact this topic laid dormant for several days until some person drags everything back up. It never fails to amaze me how you, AZ.MTNS, Ken in KC, SteveUK and a bunch other guys always manage to chime in just continuing a topic down a path of destruction which will just end in it being locked. I am never the person who brings topics of topic, it always seems to be someone who has a personal axe to grind.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned
    See heres the thing, I have this ability to just let stuff go that doesnt matter. It seems to be something that someone like your self seems to not have. I bet if you went threw my 1500 posts you might find that I have helped more than 50% of the topics I have been in. A lot of the time I post, and people thank me and thats it. No one notices the good stuff but there is about handful of members seem to always be right there when I post something that is not what they consider 100% accurate. One might suspect that those handful of people are almost looking, or perhaps even searching for topics I have posted in to try and find a flaw in what I have said. In fact this topic laid dormant for several days until some person drags everything back up. It never fails to amaze me how you, AZ.MTNS, Ken in KC, SteveUK and a bunch other guys always manage to chime in just continuing a topic down a path of destruction which will just end in it being locked. I am never the person who brings topics of topic, it always seems to be someone who has a personal axe to grind.

A little paranoia perhaps ?

mtbr member
    A little paranoia perhaps ?
    Its true, look at all the topics I post in. Make a list of all the people who have negative things to say about me or my posts. 90% of the time it is you and the others listed. I must say though for the last bit you have cooled your jets, but I have a feeling you didn't have much say in the matter.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Members who have read this thread: 0