BreakFree Gun cleaner as chain cleaner?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

BreakFree Gun cleaner as chain cleaner?

Can you use gun cleaner, lubricant, protectant all in one your bike chain? Does anybody have any experience using this with a wax or stand alone?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I too thought about using gun cleaner, but want to find out from the more advance riders. It is safe on metal and does an amazing job cleaning lead off of a gun, one would think it could clean a bike. Anyone using it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Works amazing

mtbr member
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that as a solvent, I'm sure it would work just fine. However, the type of lubrication it's going to provide probably won't be as great on a bike chain that's going to be exposed to dirt, dust, pollen, mud, water, etc. The parts of a gun that you use that stuff on aren't exposed to these things unless you're a really sloppy gun-owner. Then I feel bad for your guns. Besides, I would think that gun cleaner, solvent, lubricant is probably more expensive ounce-for-ounce than some simple green or mineral spirits and Tri-flow.

Overall, I doubt it would hurt the chain much, but it probably wouldn't work as well as you're hoping. I sure wouldn't bust out my Hoppe's on my bike chain. If you decide to try it, though, let us know how it worked.
    2008 Specialized Safire Comp

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I use it on my Glock, AR'S , shotguns and shoot 3 gun and other coms regularly. Break free is awesome **** and can work in a lot of cases. I also used it when over seas on my weapons.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I have used it a few times on my chain when my usual chain lube wasn't nearby, it works fine, but I don't think I would use it in a dusty environment. I use it for it's intended purpose as well.

Members who have read this thread: 0