Brand X Dropper post lever mounting- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2019

Brand X Dropper post lever mounting

Just ordered a Brand X Ascend and I now see that it will come with a 'shifter style' lever made to go on the left hand side. I ride a bike with a 2x drive train. Do I absolutely have to order a paddle style or is there a way to make the stock lever work? I was thinking I could put the dropper lever between the brake and the shifter since I rarely change the front rings anyway.

Also... any tips on installing this? It is designed for internal routing.

ADMINS: Please feel free to repost this to a more relevant subforum. Wasn't sure where to put this...

mtbr member
    does your frame have a hole in the seat tube for the cable? If not, you're going to have to cut one. there's a risk with that (voided warranty as well, if the bike is still covered) but a lot of people have done it with no problems.

you'll just have to experiment with placing the lever somewhere. there are different levers that will work better, and I'll bet someone around here has one gather dust in a drawer because they didn't want to use it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Ha... I was actually just reading a thread on drilling for the seat tube. I'm at work right now so I'm not sure I do or not. It's a 2019 Giant Talon. The components are internally routed but no idea on the seat tube. I'm a metal worker and would have no problems drilling if I have to.

Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    does your frame have a hole in the seat tube for the cable? If not, you're going to have to cut one. there's a risk with that (voided warranty as well, if the bike is still covered) but a lot of people have done it with no problems.

you'll just have to experiment with placing the lever somewhere. there are different levers that will work better, and I'll bet someone around here has one gather dust in a drawer because they didn't want to use it.

mtbr member
    Shifter style dropper levers can be mount upside down on top of the right side of the bar. You push it with your right thumb.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Shifter style dropper levers can be mount upside down on top of the right side of the bar. You push it with your right thumb.
    Great!! Was hoping something like that would work...

jcd's best friend
    You can also look for vertical levers too!
    Salsa Timberjack | Salsa Cutthroat

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    You can also look for vertical levers too!
    Yup... there is a paddle kit for the Brand X but I figured it's worth seeing what I can do with the stock lever first. I'm trying to reign in on 'upgradeitis' spending. But I just found myself searching for new wheels/rims too. bad boy.

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by mossanimal View Post
    Yup... there is a paddle kit for the Brand X but I figured it's worth seeing what I can do with the stock lever first. I'm trying to reign in on 'upgradeitis' spending. But I just found myself searching for new wheels/rims too. bad boy.
    Oh believe me, I know what you mean. My upgrade-itis was so bad that I ended up learning how to build my own bikes from a bare frame. I just picked up my Timberjack and it's been so hard for me to not upgrade everything. I've had my bike less than a month and I already dumped a ton of extra money into it. I might order a set of brakes and then be done with my upgrades to my TJ but we shall see.
    Salsa Timberjack | Salsa Cutthroat

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by mossanimal View Post
    Ha... I was actually just reading a thread on drilling for the seat tube. I'm at work right now so I'm not sure I do or not. It's a 2019 Giant Talon. The components are internally routed but no idea on the seat tube. I'm a metal worker and would have no problems drilling if I have to.
    No need to drill for the Talon. You can internally route the shifter housing internally and above the BB. It's a bit tricky but I did it on mine.

You can get a 2x dropper lever if you want to stick to 2x drivetrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    Oh believe me, I know what you mean. My upgrade-itis was so bad that I ended up learning how to build my own bikes from a bare frame. I just picked up my Timberjack and it's been so hard for me to not upgrade everything. I've had my bike less than a month and I already dumped a ton of extra money into it. I might order a set of brakes and then be done with my upgrades to my TJ but we shall see.
    lol, I know that feeling. I bought a Talon 1 thinking that's all I'll need. Damn, MTB hobby sparked my inner child and my need to tinker (I'm a gear junkie) and in a month, there wasn't much stock factory part on that Talon. Fortunately I saved all the stock parts and will be giving that bike to my GF and my upgraded parts will go towards a new Nukeproof Scout frameset next year.