Brakes Squeaking :(- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Brakes Squeaking :(

FIrst I just want to say hello to everyone! First day on the forums and I have already seen alot of great information. I am just getting into mtbking and just bought a new Giant Talon 2 (the beginner model from what i understand). It has the mechanical disc brakes. The bike is about 2 weeks old and i have only put about 100 miles on the bike (most have actually just been road miles). But the brakes have a horrible squeak when pressure is applied... I tried soap and water, then i also tried some 1200 grit emory cloth to remove any glaze on the disc, but nothing is working. Any suggestion, i plan on taking back to my LBS on monday but i had a trail ride planned for tommorrow and was hoping to maybe get it fixed so i could go on with the ride. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Are you sure it is not just from the pads wearing in? I know with my BB5's, they made an aweful racket for a while and then quited down.

Huckin' trails
    As from the bike spec on Giant site... you have hydro's on here...

100 miles should had already break in the pads, but I think you should try to remove the pads and clean them with alcohol, then do the same with disc...

Run them and make sure the pads are in full contact with the disc breaking area and that they don't go a little under it or over it... try to adjust them to make sure the rotor do not bend when full breaking power is apply to it... there should me about 1/3 of the spacing between the inner pad (closer to the wheel) and the rotor and 2/3 between outer pad (outside the frame) and the rotor...

Otherwise, bring it to the LBS if you have enough time left. (still under warranty/maintenance service for free ?)

Good luck,

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Good luck..... I've been fighting this battle for a while now. I can get my brakes to be quiet for about 3 miles into a ride and then they sound like $hit again. I have just given up and use them to sound a warning to hikers and other mountain bikers that they are about to be passed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles
    That depends. Can you go fvck yourself?

mtbr member
    @ nick, they didnt start doing it until recently so i think maybe already past the break in.. maybe lol but i will def try and wait it out (at least until monday when the LBS opens up)
    @ David, thanks I was actually pulling the bike in to remove pads but decided to check back on here first. Thanks for the info, it is truly appreciated
    @mtb, lol that sounds like a good idea (the warning system) haha

Huckin' trails
    I don't like my 8" to be noisy... It makes the chicks run away...

Cool and silent is the key

David

Sent from my iPhone while bikin'
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I had the same issue and changing to a Shimano resin pad changed everything.

2 days ago 17 miles with no brake noise at all.

Before I changed pads I would clean the rotor with auto brake cleaner and that helped alot.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Just took it all apart, cleaned everything put back together, and im honestly not sure its worse lol. Just gonna grin and take it for this ride, off to the LBS tomorrow to get it if fixed seems to be the best option thanks for the advice those folks!

Huckin' trails
    Welcome

That's what we're here for !

Now get your bike fixed and go offline !

David