Brake Upgrade need advice!- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sgtcurry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    126

    Brake Upgrade need advice!

    Well I am looking to upgrade the disc brakes on my bike and looked around for the price I can get the Avid Juicy 3 or the BB7's for about the same price $110~ for both the front and back online and I wanted to know which one would be a better buy.

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mitzikatzi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,808
    I would say get the Juicy 3's but many will say the BB7.

    LOTS of threads on the Pro's and Con's of both.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sgtcurry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    126
    Hmm, well I have a Motobecane 700HT and I wonder if either would fit at all. But since they are the same price and if they fit then I am up in the air atm. I hear the Juciy 3's have leaking problems and its a little bit harder to maintain but the stopping power is quite good while the BB7's are easy to set up and maintain yet isnt quite as consistent in the stopping power as hydraulics.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mitzikatzi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,808
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtcurry
    Hmm, well I have a Motobecane 700HT and I wonder if either would fit at all. But since they are the same price and if they fit then I am up in the air atm. I hear the Juciy 3's have leaking problems and its a little bit harder to maintain but the stopping power is quite good while the BB7's are easy to set up and maintain yet isnt quite as consistent in the stopping power as hydraulics.
    I have had only 1 problem with my Juicy 3 brakes. I had a sticky piston when I first got the bike. A dab of rubber grease on the piston and no further problems. I think bang for buck great brakes.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    468
    Personally I would forget either of the Avids and get a set of Shimano Deore hydros for a couple of reasons:
    - Shimano use mineral oil, Avid use brake fluid, Mineral oil is MUCH easier to handle, find and bleed [Brake fluid will take paint off anything] in fact you can actually use plain old sewing machine oil in them and they work fine
    - Shimano are very very simple to bleed and maintain - seriously DIY, Avid need a specific bleed kit not to mention horrible brake fluid
    - Shimano pads are very readily available
    - Compared to Avid BB7s which are the best of the cable brakes by far, Shimano hydros are install and forget, change the pads [takes 5 mins] when they wear and thats it, rock solid reliability for years, No adjustment ever, BB7s need manual pad adjustment as they wear as well as brake cable adjustment and replacement, manual pad adjustment is not good if you happen to need it on a steep decent!
    - And yes Avid Juicy 3's leak, my mates 6 month old Specialised FSR XC has cruddy looking resevoir caps from leaky fluid already,
    - For an extra $3 compared to Juicy 3's at a major online bike store you can get Shimano M575's - a much much better brake

  6. #6
    Cantankerous Old Fart
    Reputation: XCSKIBUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgre_6163
    Personally I would forget either of the Avids and get a set of Shimano Deore hydros for a couple of reasons:
    - Shimano use mineral oil, Avid use brake fluid, Mineral oil is MUCH easier to handle, find and bleed
    Hard to find? your local AutoZone carries DOT 3-4 & 5 brake fluid.

    http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ier=33408_0_0_

    http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...uestid=1835552

    As far as the difficulty handling, what's the difference? A little care will keep fluid off paint & a quick wipe will remove any before there is any damage.


    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgre_6163
    Shimano are very very simple to bleed and maintain - seriously DIY, Avid need a specific bleed kit not to mention horrible brake fluid
    A servicable bleed kit can be made W/items available @ any well stocked autoparts or Hdwe store @ a fraction of the cost of a manufacturers kit..


    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgre_6163
    Shimano pads are very readily available
    Really? Are you saying that Avid pads aren't?

    I found 5 pages of Avid brake pads on e-bay.

    http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R4...All-Categories


    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgre_6163
    Compared to Avid BB7s which are the best of the cable brakes by far, manual pad adjustment is not good if you happen to need it on a steep decent!
    Another reason to do your wrenching @ home instead of on the trail.

    But, if one does need to service brakes on the trail, mech. discs are a lot easier to work on.

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgre_6163
    And yes Avid Juicy 3's leak, my mates 6 month old Specialised FSR XC has cruddy looking resevoir caps from leaky fluid already,

    Your last point is valid, but the others are not.


    Avid BB7s are top of the line in mech. disc brakes. The hydraulic brakes mentioned here are not top of the line but closer to "entry level"..

    If I was limited to a certain price point as the OP seems to be, I would opt for the best quality I could afford & in this case that seems to be the BB7s.
    Last edited by XCSKIBUM; 05-02-2011 at 01:44 PM.
    Those that say "hardtails rule" never rode the miles I ride on the trails I ride.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mitzikatzi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,808
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgre_6163
    ...snip....
    - For an extra $3 compared to Juicy 3's at a major online bike store you can get Shimano M575's - a much much better brake
    Avids come complete with discs and mounts. Shimano are often sold without discs and sometimes without mounts.

    I think "brake fluid" Dot 4 is easier to find than mineral oil for shimano brakes. You can't just use any old oil in your shimano brakes.
    Brake fluid can be found in many little towns anywhere you ride.

    You can get Juicy 3 for about $70 to $80 at some online shops. I am yet to see M575 with discs for that price.
    Last edited by mitzikatzi; 05-02-2011 at 05:46 AM.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GotoDengo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    893
    Quote Originally Posted by XCSKIBUM

    But, if one does need to service brakes on the trail, mech. discs are a lot easier to work on.

    Even then, hydros are still pretty easy to tweak. Unless the housing is punctured, pretty much just loosening the calipers, pull the brake, re-tighten. You're off. As long as you have a multitool I would even argue hdryos are just as easy/easier to futz with trailside.

  9. #9
    Master of Disaster
    Reputation: Clones123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    979
    For me it comes down to the levers. If you like the Juicy 3 levers (feel, reach, travel, etc) then fine. If not, you can set up the BB7's with any lever you like and precisely tune the reach and lever travel (engagement point).
    I'm gonna miss me when I'm gone.
    IMBA member #234701

  10. #10
    Cantankerous Old Fart
    Reputation: XCSKIBUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by GotoDengo
    Even then, hydros are still pretty easy to tweak. Unless the housing is punctured, pretty much just loosening the calipers, pull the brake, re-tighten. You're off. As long as you have a multitool I would even argue hdryos are just as easy/easier to futz with trailside.

    Maybe so, but from what I have been told by my LBS owner, the BB7s are as good or better than the entry level juice brakes so why go juice if you are not going to spend the extra $$$ to get an imprioved brake?
    Those that say "hardtails rule" never rode the miles I ride on the trails I ride.

  11. #11
    I4NI
    Reputation: S_Trek's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,222
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtcurry
    Hmm, well I have a Motobecane 700HT and I wonder if either would fit at all. But since they are the same price and if they fit then I am up in the air atm. I hear the Juciy 3's have leaking problems and its a little bit harder to maintain but the stopping power is quite good while the BB7's are easy to set up and maintain yet isnt quite as consistent in the stopping power as hydraulics.
    Own both, but Elixer 5. I would say the BB's are consistent but it's just not a one finger system. Both systems will stop you. Lock up the rear tire or send you OTB's
    Last edited by S_Trek; 05-02-2011 at 09:51 AM.
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mack_turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    8,664
    there is no denying the power of hydros, but I prefer the ease of adjustment on my BB7s. I like analog things that are easy to work on.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: random7100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    45
    I can understand some peoples opinion that simpler is better, but hydro MTB brakes are pretty user friendly ive found, easy to bleed and once set up properly are good for ages.

    Have you thought of good used options? Im in UK so not sure what the market is like over there, but i picked up a Hayes 9 Carbon rear and a Hope Mini front for total equiv to about 90 dollars. the Hayes i just bolted on the complete system as bought and is superb, the Hope just needed a bleed and is spot on.

    You can get good value for money used and id recommend both the above too
    UK MTBer

  14. #14
    Cantankerous Old Fart
    Reputation: XCSKIBUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by random7100
    I can understand some peoples opinion that simpler is better, but hydro MTB brakes are pretty user friendly ive found, easy to bleed and once set up properly are good for ages.

    Have you thought of good used options? Im in UK so not sure what the market is like over there, but i picked up a Hayes 9 Carbon rear and a Hope Mini front for total equiv to about 90 dollars. the Hayes i just bolted on the complete system as bought and is superb, the Hope just needed a bleed and is spot on.

    You can get good value for money used and id recommend both the above too

    Maybe I'm not getting my point across.

    If you want to go hyd, spend the extra money & get a good system, there's no question that a quality hyd brake will be superior to any mech brake.

    If you are going to limit expense to the price of the BB7s get the BB7s as any hdr. brake you will get for that price will not be 1st rate while the BB7s ARE a 1st rate mech. brake. (I've been told)
    Those that say "hardtails rule" never rode the miles I ride on the trails I ride.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: random7100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    45
    I was just saying dont be put off by thinking anythings more complicated. And re cost / value, thats why i threw it in there about looking used too. anyhow, hope the OP gets something theyre happy with, which is the main thing. +1
    UK MTBer

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.