Brake line length?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Brake line length?

How do you determine what length you need? For example I am looking at a set of Hydros that come pre-bled with 1300mm rear and 750mm front hoses. How do i know if these will fit?

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    Use an old housing, or a piece of solid core copper wire (house wire), as a mockup, then measure that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Problem is this is for a build that I am getting parts together for. So I cant mock it up yet.

mtbr member
    1300 / 750 is really short. I bought a set that was 1500 / 750 and the 750 was barely long enough for a rigid fork. Also I'd say 1300 will be cutting it close for the rear unless it's a small bike.

Your typical mtn bike you probably need like 1500 / 900 at least.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolbiker
    1300 / 750 is really short. I bought a set that was 1500 / 750 and the 750 was barely long enough for a rigid fork. Also I'd say 1300 will be cutting it close for the rear unless it's a small bike.

Yeah - what he said

Bike builder
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolbiker

Agreed.

Would even go further and say that 900 is too short for a 5-6" fork.

The best option is to buy 4metres of uncut hose, some decent cable cutters, and do it yourself
    Free bike maintenance videos every two weeks!
    BuildYourBicycle.com video podcast

mtbr member
    I just measured mine on my FS rig and it was 1475mm for the rear, and 825mm for the front. The frame is a size medium 575 with the cable routed down the down tube and across the chain stay. The front has a 150mm fork However I cut my lines so there is pretty much no excess. Also I measured my line on my DH bike with a 8" fork, and it was 865mm.

mtbr member
    Bump an old thread.

I am trimming the lines on my Hayes tonight, and I am trying to figure out how much to cut.

The front should be a non-issue since there is no "pull on the line, so I was going to make it just long enough to lay along the fork nicley.

The rear is a different story. Should I crank the bars 90 degrees right, and hav enough cable for that, or is there a better method. This would only be an issue in the event of an unexpected dismount. Should I make the line shorter so if this were to happen, the line will be the thing that stops the bars from rotating too far?

Suggestions/pics would be appreciated.

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by jonw9
    Should I crank the bars 90 degrees right, and hav enough cable for that,
    this is how ive always sized cables. might be a better way but this works fine.

mtbr member
    Pre-bled brake sets are great, but eventually your going to need to learn how to bleed them, as brake fluid does wear out.

SSOD
    Yeah, 90 degree test is what I was taught and always gone with. Better to be a little long than rip out while on the trail after an ugly crash.

mtbr member
    a few weeks ago i fitted a set of avid elixer5 that came pre bleed and had to cut of a massive 540mm off the rear and 250mm off the front...had to triple check my lengths just to be safe but tuned out fine....so i guess you never really know what length you'll get with pre-bleed hoses but longer is way better than shorter..
    " The Revolution Will Not Be Motorised "

Members who have read this thread: 20