Bought a 2004 trek 6700- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Bought a 2004 trek 6700

All I bought a 2004 Trek 6700 for $250. The bike is in good condition. It's not mint as it's got a few scuffs and needs a good cleaning. The bike probably has nver been tuned up, but all the gears work and brakes are good as well. I will probably bring it in for a tune up just to be safe. Do you think that I got a good deal? Any other additional comments and what not? Can someone confirm I do not think these forks have a lock out. They are the original Pilot Sl's

AZ
    banned
    Decent deal , enjoy it .

mtbr member
    I cant confirm specifically but there is no mention of a lock out on that fork. Is there a switch on the top of the right stanchion? If there is then it has lock out, if there isn't then there isn't.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Does this bike have disc brakes?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    No disc brakes; normal brake pads in front and back. Gave it a quick cleaning and a basic tune up and I am very happy with the overall purchase. The only thing negative with the bike are the Rockshox Pilot Sl's that seem to give a little too much up hill or when I want to pump the handle bars and put my weight on the front to get some speed. I will try to get them to the max psi which I think is 20 psi. Overall its good quality, but a lockout on the shocks would be nice. I may switch to rigid forks or a shock system with a lock out in the future, but for now its really nice and I feel I got a really good deal. The bike seems to be worthy of a lifetime quality bike. I also may switch out the tires to a more asphalt friendly tire. I have already started getting a little upgrade fever.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Well, I bought a 2005 Trek 6500 w/o disc brakes in good condition for $220 in Los Angeles about a month ago. The seller was originally asking $250 and he threw in lightly used Specialized shoes w/ SPD cleats and a Cateye wired computer. I probably could have gotten everything for $200 if I were patient, but I wanted the bike right away to use that weekend.

Hopefully that helps.
    Last edited by maveric; 11-07-2009 at 12:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I was in a similar situation. I got specialized shoes, gloves, cheap car rack, road safety vest and helmet, so I guess I got an average deal. Overall I am happy with the purchase.

responsible zombie owner
    I have a Trek 6500 (04 or 05, not sure) with Pilot Cs, and you can adjust the preload on the fork which may help stiffen it up. My beef with the Pilot I have is that it's too stiff, if anything, although it seems to be softening up with age and use. Other than that minor gripe I've been very happy with the bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    How do you adjust the preload?

Can't feel my legs
    Quote Originally Posted by xaeniac
    How do you adjust the preload?
    Add/remove air..?

ILIKEBIKES
    Aug 2009
    Xaeniac, I traded an olympic weight set that I no longer used for a 2007 Trek 6000. I am also pretty happy with the deal I got.Would've liked a higher level bike but hey, the weight set was only worth like 150.00...
    "The free press doesn't serve the government, it serves the governed."

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hey, you guys, a new 6700 is $1000. I'd say you got good deals. Get an inexpensive Tora fork and tune up those V brakes and they should be killer bikes. Definitely worth lots more than you paid.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Where can I get an inexpensive Tora fork, because the one on it does not have a lock out and up hill and can be a killer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    http://www.jensonusa.com/search/?s=tora

I have the SL, people like the 302 too. Has a lockout, rebound control and preload adjustment.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The best deal I have seen on the tora for a while is here http://wheelworld.com/product/rocksh...r-oem-6895.htm

They also have recons going for under 200 as well. Both are good forks imho.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    FYI, there's currently an auction on eBay for a 2004 Trek 6700:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I recently purchased the same exact bike in great condition, except the tubes needed replaced, with hayes hydrolic brakes for $300. I cant stand the front fork either, i put more air in it and turned the rebound to the rabbit instead of the turtle and it helped, but i am still looking for a new front fork, but lights and a bike rack are higher on the priority list right now. I am also in the market for new tires, im going to go with the kenda small block 8s, they are supposed to be great in dry conditions, and kendas fastest mtn tire.

TRANCER
    Quote Originally Posted by xaeniac
    All I bought a 2004 Trek 6700 for $250. The bike is in good condition. It's not mint as it's got a few scuffs and needs a good cleaning. The bike probably has nver been tuned up, but all the gears work and brakes are good as well. I will probably bring it in for a tune up just to be safe. Do you think that I got a good deal? Any other additional comments and what not? Can someone confirm I do not think these forks have a lock out. They are the original Pilot Sl's
    Pics?
    Ride

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Is 20 psi the highest I can pump the Rockshox PilotSl shocks? That seems awfully low. Any advice on going over 20 psi on these shocks?

Permanent Noob
    I have an '03 with the Pilot SL and after they didn't believe me at first, they did some research and then my lbs told me to keep it at or below the max. I weigh about 190, which is where the preload sticker stops...) I used an electric once and it shot over 20 (doesn't take much!) and it looked like it was about to blow apart. Turn the rebound up to the rabbit and it rides better (IMO). I still get a bit more bounce than I think I should, but I really have nothing to compare to. If you have money burning a hold in your pocket you could always convert to disc. (It seemed to cure the hole in my pocket for now!)

Members who have read this thread: 0