BMX background. Want a new bike.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

BMX background. Want a new bike.

As the title suggests I've been riding BMX (racing, not tricks) for a while. I've been taking my cruiser to the trails lately and feel it's time to get something a little better suited to the task. Any BMXers want to throw their $0.02 in? Did you stay SS? Fully rigid? 26" or 29"? The biggest problems I have are rock gardens and steep climbs with rocks/roots/switchbacks.

I know actually riding some bikes is going to tell me the most, but there aren't a huge number of shops in my area that carry a wide variety of MTBs. I'd just like to hear y'all's opinions.
    All of the true things I'm about to tell you are shameless lies.

mtbr member
    I rode bmx for years, and right now I'm riding a fully rigid SS 26". 29" wheels will feel clumsy to you whereas the 26's are easy to flick around and have fun on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I racing internationally for years in BMX up through highschool. I tried the geared 26's and hated banging gears, so I've converted my Yukon into a SS now.

It's amazing how your riding style all comes back to you.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    There was actually a thread about thus about a week ago, http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=685066 .

Bottom line: the easiest way to go about it seems to be to get something as much like a BMX as you can (SS, ridid, ect) that will let you ride the trails comfortably and go from there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by officersdr
    I racing internationally for years in BMX up through highschool. I tried the geared 26's and hated banging gears, so I've converted my Yukon into a SS now.

It's amazing how your riding style all comes back to you.
    I've got a singlespeed Yukon too great bikes

mtbr member
    for whatever reason, a 29er really reminded me of my bmx days. it might just be because i rode 26" in between bmx and 29 and it was something new and fun. a ss will definitely seem the most normal to you but gears can really help if you have to climb a lot
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks for that link. I hadn't read that thread. Later today I'll be stopping by an LBS to test ride some bikes and I'll be checking out a 29er later just to see what that's all about. Thanks for the advice, guys.

EDIT: After hitting up one of my local shops I'm definitely looking for a SS 26" bike. I'm not really digging the whole big frame and seat-you-actually-use thing yet, though.
    Last edited by False; 02-26-2011 at 01:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by False
    I'm definitely looking for a SS 26" bike. I'm not really digging the whole big frame and seat-you-actually-use thing yet, though.
    Have you thought about a dirt jump bike yet?

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Or even a four-cross bike.

But like I said in the other thread, I think something like the Trailstar (I think On-One makes a similar frame but I dont know what it's called) would be an excellent place to start. You can start out with it rigid SS, relatively cheap, and ride it like a big BMX then slowly upgrade if you get more into MTBs. And if not it will still be a heck of a fun way to get around town.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I'm really interested in a DJ setup. From what I've been reading (unfortunately no stores in the area actually have DJ bikes in stock) they're kind of perfect for my style of riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS
    I've got a singlespeed Yukon too great bikes

I know, I was the one that PM'ed you asking about yours.........I'm hoping to finish her up this week. Just need grips and brake levers.

I'll try to get a pics up soon........I do want to firm up my DJ3's. I'm a clyde so she bounces ALOT

mtbr member
    I don't have the same BMX resume you do.. but I did grow up riding a BMX. I found my DJ bike to have a very similar feel. Mine has gears and a front suspension... but I find myself wanting a SS with front shock now to compliment it.

I do mostly pavement pounding - with some trails thrown in.
    --NC
    2008 Kona Cowan // 2005 Kona Cowan // 2009 Giant Modem // 2009 department store IronHorse // 1970s Schwinn roadie

Members who have read this thread: 0