Bikes similar to Kona Coiler- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Bikes similar to Kona Coiler

Hello, I am looking to get a bike for my self. I have always rented. I want something that can do downhill/free-ride, but that I can still climb with. The Kona Coiler looked like my best bet, and a lot of the reviews said how strong the frames were which is good for me as well. However, the Kona Coiler's are fairly hard to find in a small. I am 5'6" with a 31 inch inseam. Are there any other bikes like the Kona Coiler or that fit my description in the > $800 range.

Note: I would be willing to go more than $800 but it would need to be either really new or have something exceptional about it.

Thank You for the help.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I would be willing to build my own bike as well. I would be fine putting in some elbow grease to get a good budget bike

mtbr member
    May 2009
    It will be pretty difficult to custom build a bike for $800 or less...even with using used parts. There are plenty of bikes out there, other than the Kona Coiler, that would suit the type of riding you're looking to do. The general consensus is that a bike that will excel at DH/FR riding won't be something you can climb very easily. If you're ok with less than optimal climbing and some hike a bike riding, then look for a used DH/FR rig. The issue with buying DH/FR bikes around your budget is they will be pretty outdated or completely hammered, unless you just stumble upon a crazy deal.

Another option is to go for a more AM-oriented bike, such as a Santa Cruz Heckler, Specialized Enduro, etc... which are great bikes when pointed downhill, are still decent enough climbers, and can handle some aggressive riding, some drops, and some jumps.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    thank you for the suggestion's. I am fine with buying a fairly used bike as long as It's not going to fall apart after a couple runs.
    Do you have any more recommendations on bikes that would fit what I am looking for?
    Can I expect the AM bikes to not fall to pieces if I start to run downhill courses?
    Is there a specific travel length/ head tube angle I should be looking for.

I guess I really just want to be able to huck it without it falling to pieces, and still be able to use it as a trail bike for light weekend backpacking.