Bikes for my boys?????- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Bikes for my boys?????

Okay, I need some help from all of you. I am trying to buy my boys first good mountain bikes. I am looking to spend 400 and have found a couple of viable options. WHat is my best bet? A trek 3500 for $399 or a Novarra Portal for the same price. My boys are 9 (a tall nine year old) and 11 and will hopefully have the bikes for 2-3 years. They will ride on trails, dirt roads, and in town. Which of these is the best all around bike or is there another one I should consider?? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Between those two I would go with the Novarra. A little better spec'd, and you likely won't do any better in that price range. Make sure you get the REI membership for the 10% back to make it an even better deal.

newless cluebie
    Sep 2009
    Check Performance Bike retail stores near you, you may find a Diamondback, Fuji or GT with better spec for the price.
    My Trifecta: Rocky Mountain Flatline Pro, Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC70, eBay Carbon Hardtail

mtbr member
    May 2011

Thanks

REI has them going on sale next week for 15% off. Thanks for the advice>

mtbr member
    May 2011
    What about the Giant Revel 2?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The Giant Revel 2 is not bad, but I would maybe spend a little more for the Revel 1 which has quite a few upgrades for the money, most notably the disc brakes.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I would look for some lightly used 26" bikes with small frames for around $200 to $300. I bought my son a 12.5" frame GT Backwoods when he was 9 that he rode for 3 or 4 years and it had some pretty decent parts that didn't weigh a ton. Then, I sold it to a friend for his 10 year old.

Got to be more of them around that would be better than what you could get for the same money new.

Enthusiast
    Of the two you liist, I favor the Novara Portal, and here are some reasons why:

* The Portal runs a 100mm fork versus the 3500's 63mm fork. If your kids do any trail riding at all, they won't regret having 100mm of travel.

* FWIW, I've ridden an RST Gila fork, and I remember finding it to perform reasonably well. Based upon my limited experience with RST and Suntour, I would take the RST-brand fork on the Portal in a heartbeat.

* Big difference on the crankset. The 3500 has 48/38/28 chainrings. That's a terrible combination for kids. That gearing is too high. The 42/32/22 on the Portal is much easier to push, and that matters for younger people.

* Your gearing in the back will be better on the Portal too.

* The Trek has a 7-speed hub, which suggests that it's also an old-style freewheel. The Portal for sure has a cassette hub. A cassette hub is stronger, and it'll be easier to change out rear gearing if you ever want to do that.

* The Portal has disc-ready hubs! That's a nice touch on a bike at that pricepoint. You can upgrade to disc brakes without having to upgrade the wheelset.

* I also like the SRAM shifters and deraillers on the Portal better than the non-series components on the 3500.

Hope the above helps. Have your kids test-ride if they can, before you buy, just to be sure they feel reasonably comfortable on the bikes. Good of you to buy bikes too, and especially to spend what it takes to get some quality. Best of luck.

mtbr member
    This web page has some great starter bikes for kids with good parts. The fs bikes would be fun for them I would not recommend for adults but for kids great.

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products.../hay1500xi.htm
    https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mountain_bikes.htm
    https://www.bikesdirect.com/products..._ghost6300.htm
    https://www.bikesdirect.com/products..._2200_2100.jpg

mtbr member
    I want to say its cool you are getting your boys good bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Yea I agree...
    Lucky boys!

I can't wait til my 2 are ready for the trails.

Members who have read this thread: 0