Which Bike is your Favorite- Mtbr.com

View Poll Results: What Bike Do You Like Best?

Voters
26. This poll is closed
  • Scott Aspect 55 w/disc

3 11.54%
  • Jamis Durango 1 w/disc

2 7.69%
  • Cannondale F7 w/disc

6 23.08%
  • Gary Fisher Wahoo w/disc

15 57.69%
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Which Bike is your Favorite

Which bike do you favor more as a starter bike with good design and why?

Whichever bike I actually ride at the LBS and am happy with the fit of is my favorite. So I'm not going to vote as what I ride is not in the poll. I'm not sure if Cannondale CO2 and Caffeine frames are different dimensions so.....I'll just say that I am really happy with my F4.

I get the feeling that your poll is going to steer your choice in something you are considering purchasing...if that's the case, don't let anyone decide for you. Ride them all and buy the one that fits you the best.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Agreed, i wont let anyone decide for me, as im just wanting an opinion. I know i have heard great things about all these bikes. They are all in the price range and are all built differently of course.

Old man on a bike
    How could any of those bikes be my favorite let alone even be considered worthy? Are you sure this is how you want to phrase your poll?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dcKaz
    Agreed, i wont let anyone decide for me, as im just wanting an opinion. I know i have heard great things about all these bikes. They are all in the price range and are all built differently of course.
    Favorite out of those listed, if i wanted the Best i would have listed the Best imo

Old man on a bike
    Favorite out of those listed, if i wanted the Best i would have listed the Best imo
    So what's your favorite bike and why? Why just these four? What's the criteria?
    suum quique

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    So what's your favorite bike and why? Why just these four? What's the criteria?
    I guess i was in a rush to make the thread lol, I'm getting into mountain biking and out of the choices or even one not listed would be a great starter bike. Should i spend the extra $40 and go with the Aspect 40 if i choose that brand? Or maybe a personal experience with G2 geometry? Any info about the listed brands is helpful, which one is the most bang for the buck? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    For a starter or for any level favo bike is the bike that they feel most comfi

Different companies have different geometry.... So if i had to choose.... NONE from this list.

mtbr member
    i would say Cannondale f5 ... couse that's what i'm looking on buying... i think for a litle extra money you get a much better bike... but out of those for prob the f7 or the wahoo

Old man on a bike
    I guess i was in a rush to make the thread lol, I'm getting into mountain biking and out of the choices or even one not listed would be a great starter bike. Should i spend the extra $40 and go with the Aspect 40 if i choose that brand? Or maybe a personal experience with G2 geometry? Any info about the listed brands is helpful, which one is the most bang for the buck? Thanks!
    I have no idea what those bikes cost, what they're equipped with, what and where and how you ride etc. Why would anyone memorize specs for these four particular bikes? You could at least provide links and prices...

Off the top of my head I'd guess these are all fairly similar bikes, so get the one that fits you, and is sold by a convenient shop that will assist you in setting it up for you and servicing it.
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Have you ridden all the bikes on the list? If not, definitely do that first. When I was looking for my first bike, my list went from 6 possible bikes down to 2 by just taking a test ride, and choosing what "feels" right.

Quote Originally Posted by Vmax911
    Have you ridden all the bikes on the list? If not, definitely do that first. When I was looking for my first bike, my list went from 6 possible bikes down to 2 by just taking a test ride, and choosing what "feels" right.
    Exactly what happened with me...that Rockhopper Comp Disc suddenly didn't seem like such a hot idea. Nor did the GF (damn that thing felt like a tank!) and the Jamis I test rode.

Ride and buy - not buy and ride.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have only road the GF as of now, tomorrow i will be browsing around and test riding the rest if weather permits me to. here are links as wanted:

Jamis Durango 1:$635
    http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebik..._durango1.html

Scott Aspect 55:$643.99
    http://scottusa.com/us_en/product/1661/11865/aspect_55

Scott Aspect 40:$689.99 ($40 more then 55 model)
    http://www.cyclesunlimited.net/jooml...per/Itemid,30/

Cannondale F7:$659
    http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/09/cusa/model-9FS7.html

Gary Fisher Wahoo:$659.99
    http://fisherbikes.com/bike/model/wahoo-disc

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The CO2 crame is very nice, it weighs pretty much the same as the Caffeine frame from the F4, and I think for around what Cannondale says the F7's MSRP is, you can likely get an F5 for that price

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX
    The CO2 crame is very nice, it weighs pretty much the same as the Caffeine frame from the F4, and I think for around what Cannondale says the F7's MSRP is, you can likely get an F5 for that price
    Maybe i will have better luck once 2010 models come out, then i can try and find a marked down 09 f5

I miss f88
    +1
    Doing that made my choice really easy. Nothing felt as good as the Giant.

Old man on a bike
    The forks that come on all those bikes are a weak point IMO. I'd almost rather have rigid forks than those things. I know it's a price point thing but a better quality fork just makes things so much better...can't up your budget?
    suum quique

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The forks that come on all those bikes are a weak point IMO. I'd almost rather have rigid forks than those things. I know it's a price point thing but a better quality fork just makes things so much better...can't up your budget?
    Depends how long I'm willing to wait, it would be around fall if i took it up to around $750+

Old man on a bike
    Depends how long I'm willing to wait, it would be around fall if i took it up to around $750+

Well, there's something to be said for even that level of fork (equates to some of the better suspension forks a long time ago is best I can say). However, you just get a better package deal on the components and fork on a new bike by going up the ladder a bit, usually better than you can do by "upgrading". Patience is a good thing, no reason to over extend yourself for a bike even as harsh as that might sound Have you considered going used for more value (as is often the case if you shop carefully).
    suum quique

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Well, there's something to be said for even that level of fork (equates to some of the better suspension forks a long time ago is best I can say). However, you just get a better package deal on the components and fork on a new bike by going up the ladder a bit, usually better than you can do by "upgrading". Patience is a good thing, no reason to over extend yourself for a bike even as harsh as that might sound Have you considered going used for more value (as is often the case if you shop carefully).
    I have but its hard to tell when something is a good deal and if the bike is sound and free of ware and tear.

Lets say i save my money and wait for a better bike, as searching around i have found bikes more around the 750-800 range.

Cannondale F5 disc: $799(have heard great things, yet to test ride as lbs doesn't have in stock)
    http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/09/cusa/model-9FS5.html

Scott Aspect 45 disc: $827.99
    http://scottusa.com/us_en/product/1661/11860/aspect_45

Gary Fisher Marlin disc: $799.99
    http://fisherbikes.com/bike/model/marlin-disc

Jamis Durango 2 disc: $795
    http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebik..._durango2.html
    Last edited by dcKaz; 06-10-2009 at 09:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    My LBS has the '09 F5's for $749.99- the MSRP of my F4 is $1,119 and they sell it for $999. So when you're looking at manufacturer websites take into consideration that most shops don't ask full list for the bikes.

With my earlier comment I said you might get an F5 for F7 prices even before closeout time, I was a little optimistic with that I think, but my point was don't assume the MSRP on the websites is what they cost.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Just picked up a brand new 2008 Scott Aspect 40 today. I was looking at a Wahoo and really liked the Wahoo but i came across this one. They sold it to me for $375 and I get free tune ups as long as I own the bike. Really nice people at the LBS. I really like how it fits and it was a great deal.

Old man on a bike
    I have but its hard to tell when something is a good deal and if the bike is sound and free of ware and tear.

Lets say i save my money and wait for a better bike, as searching around i have found bikes more around the 750-800 range.

Cannondale F5 disc: $799(have heard great things, yet to test ride as lbs doesn't have in stock)
    http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/09/cusa/model-9FS5.html

Scott Aspect 45 disc: $827.99
    http://scottusa.com/us_en/product/1661/11860/aspect_45

Gary Fisher Marlin disc: $799.99
    http://fisherbikes.com/bike/model/marlin-disc

Jamis Durango 2 disc: $795
    http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebik..._durango2.html
    The Darts are the closest to real forks in that bunch, but still would rather see a step above.

Used can be hard, especially over the internet alone, but you can determine value somewhat even then. Keep in mind depreciation on a new bike is immense, especially lower end models.
    suum quique

Members who have read this thread: 0