Bike upgrades- Mtbr.com

Thread: Bike upgrades

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Bike upgrades

So, I've been out of the game (though never really got into it completely in the first place) for quite a while and I already forgot everything I learned :P

I'm trying to do two things to my current bike:
    Replace the front rotor. (6" or upgrade to 7")
    Replace suspension parts with ones that lockout (for a better all around bike)

I'm riding a K2 Lithium 4.0 with the Manitou Black super air fork and a Swinger 3 way air shock in the rear.

My questions are, can I use the Hayes Disc 7" Front Brake Adapter to use a 7" disc on the Manitou until I can replace the fork with something with lockout? If so, do I get the Is QR version or the Is 20mm version? Also, what rear shock can I use in place of the Swinger that includes lockout?

Normally I research the crap out of all this before posting, but I have finals all week and I'm burnt out. Any help is greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Non-adjustable lockout is not an upgrade, unless maybe you travel on paved/smooth roads often. For trails, what's the advantage of disabling your suspension?

You could look at RS motion control, or Fox RL forks that have "lockout force". Both are lockout but have blowoffs. Cuts down on bob while still allowing to run low enough pressure for full travel.

Why do you want to ditch the 3-way? Send that to me. If it fits, I'll give you my Ario. It has lockout.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GotoDengo
    Non-adjustable lockout is not an upgrade, unless maybe you travel on paved/smooth roads often. For trails, what's the advantage of disabling your suspension?

You could look at RS motion control, or Fox RL forks that have "lockout force". Both are lockout but have blowoffs. Cuts down on bob while still allowing to run low enough pressure for full travel.

Why do you want to ditch the 3-way? Send that to me. If it fits, I'll give you my Ario. It has lockout.
    I don't want to lose any functionality that I have now, I just want to add the option of lock-out. I only have one bike for trails and for commuting. It would be nice to lock the suspension for road use, but have the full 5" travel on the trail. I'm trying to find something that will be good for both.

Then again, if it's going to cost me $500+ for any one of those parts, I may as well invest in an entry level hard-tail or solid-body for commuting.......

mtbr member
    I would get a dedicated bike for commuting. You'll easily pay $400+ retail for air fork and shock at the low end. Running knobbies on roads both wears them down and adds unnecessary friction. You could change tires between road/trail, but that's a PITA. You just end up with a heavy commuter bike. would be lighter, and along with road-oriented gearing you could go faster (not sure what kind of commuting you do).

For less than the price of a new fork you could get a on CL, and don't have to worry about it being stolen.

Downside of getting a is you might wake up one day in lycra.

Members who have read this thread: 0