Thread: bike and stuff

I Rode a Metric Century!

bike and stuff

Ok so I have some questions on a few things.

I am new to MB as the name says I am riding on a borrowed hardrock 05.

I am looking to buy a Gary Fisher Mamba in large. I am also looking at the Cateye Strata wireless computer. I would like a good set of clip pedals, any recommendations? Also shoes? helmet? UNder seat bag? cages? and bottles?

I am also going to get a hydration bag for longer rides, thoughts?

I am mostly riding on a paved trail, but do some mild off road but as time goes on I want to really step that up. Get more involved in the sport and all.

I am 6' 200lbs if you need to know to make recommendations.

Also should I upgrade anything on the bike at all?

And who is the best web vendor to you?

Sorry for all the questions.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Ok, lots of questions, here are some answers, but not all.

Don't worry about cages and bottles if you are getting a hydration pack, unless you want some engery type drink for those long rides. You don't want to put that in the bag. I don't like camelpak because of the bag that tastes like plastic forever and you can never get it dry inside. I like platypus bags and they are guarenteed forever. The bag itself should be large enough to put your pump in and the tools. Ditch the underseat bag, it only gets all nasty and dirty.

Bell helmets are cheaper and have replacement plans. You can get them on sale all the time. I like time pedals, www.pricpoint.com has some kakis on sale right now. Shimano's are good if you like a stiffer feel when you clip in. Crankbros are good if you don't smack them on anything and the candy's are always on sale.

You will have to try shoes on. Addidas are always on sale at performancebike.com, but they don't fit me right. Sidi comes in half sizes and are the best but cost a lot. Shimano's have a nice wide front foot.

For your paved trail, and gravel the computer is fine, when you move off road, take that crap off or I will have to make fun of you.

Have fun.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    By the way, chainreactioncycles.com has the cheapest bike parts, but you have to pay for shipping from england.

There's no app for this.

Whoa!

1st get the bike you want/need, and make sure it fits. Find a store you like and trust, and get on a brand name ride. Get them to help, that's why you're there, not buying off the INTERNET and guessing what size to buy.

The cockpit (butt on saddle, hands on bars) should feel comfortable, not too upright, and not too much pressure on hands. If the bike doesn't fit, you'll use it as much as a pair or shoes that don't fit, and your money will be wasted.

the rest of the stuff is incidental until you get a bike, and i suggest you leave the clipless pedals alone until you know how to ride well. they are a great assist for racers and those looking to increase power in the spin; right now, you simply don't need that.

Get a helmet and gloves, and a hydration bottle w/cage. A pack can come later.

Good luck, Jim

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by New to MB

I am looking to buy a Gary Fisher Mamba in large. I am also looking at the Cateye Strata wireless computer. I would like a good set of clip pedals, any recommendations? Also shoes? helmet? UNder seat bag? cages? and bottles?

I am mostly riding on a paved trail, but do some mild off road but as time goes on I want to really step that up. Get more involved in the sport and all.

Get a good set of clipless pedals (instead of toe clips) and a nice pair of mtb shoes that will mate with them. They may be intimidating at first, but are worth it. Get whichever helmet fits you the best and is most comfortable. Remember, if you have anything worth protecting upstairs, your helmet is not something you want to be cheap about. Get a Camelbak, it will most likely be your single most used mtb accessory.

R.I.P. DogFriend

I am looking to buy a Gary Fisher Mamba in large.

I am also looking at the Cateye Strata wireless computer.
    Congrats on the new bike. The Cateye Strada is nice and it's wireless. If you're looking to spend less, get the Enduro model (wired).

I would like a good set of clip pedals, any recommendations?
    Start simple and relatively inexpensive. Shimano 540's are a good choice, easy to find, work well, easy to get replacement cleats.

Also shoes?
    Look for shoes that are SPD compatible. Fit is very personal. I have good luck with Shimano and Specialized shoes. YMMV.

helmet?
    Another very personal type item as far as fit goes. I fit into Giro helmets well, some like Bell better. Specialized also makes nice helmets. At least slip a Giro Xen onto your dome just to see if you like it

UNder seat bag?
    There's a million of them in all different sizes. I use one when I don't take a Camelbak and just use water bottles. Otherwise I carry all that crap in my hydration pack.

cages?
    The garden variety aluminum $7 or $8 cages at your local bike shop are fine and they are mostly very similar. Pick a color that looks good on your bike. No need for anything fancy here.

and bottles?
    I like the "Polar" insulated bottles because it can be warm where I live, but if it's not too warm any bike shop bottles are fine. They don't last forever and they can get lost so don't go hog wild on these either. If you use anything besides water in them (I don't), wash them out when you finish riding or they will have a nice surprise waiting for you

You're a decent size person, so I would recommend at least a 70oz size if not 100oz if you can suck down some liquids when you exert yourself.

Ride the piss out of your new bike, fix what breaks and start saving for your second bike. What that will be, should reveal itself the more you ride this bike.

If you are already feeling the need to upgrade things on your bike before you even buy it, you would do well to consider bumping up to a higher end model in the first place. You will get more for your money rather then going the upgrade route.

Lots of good vendors out there and some not so great. Opinions may vary, but I have good luck with:

jensonusa

pricepoint

cambriabike

wheelworld

None are perfect, but I prefer and use the above. Good luck.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I take back my origional post. JimC is correct. If you are new, don't worry about getting a bunch of stuff right away. You could spend that money on a better bike. Just get the bike, helmet and gloves first. You decide on either a bag or cage. We just get excited when people want to buy stuff.

Members who have read this thread: 0