Bike Shorts- Mtbr.com

Thread: Bike Shorts

Gig'em Aggies!

Bike Shorts

I am in serious need of a good pair of biking shorts. I love to wear cargo shorts when I bike but they simply don't offer enough padding for my skinny tailend. I have been trying to find a decent pair of cargo style bike shorts that have some padding built in but haven't seen any. If you have a good recommendation for a regular lycra style with padding then that is fine as well, just not what I prefer.

mtbr member
    Get some Hoss Ponderosa shorts http://www.hossmtb.com/shop/index.ph...&products_id=1

These are great. I got a pair of Fox shorts that cost quite a bit more and they simply don't compare. The Hoss shorts really well designed, have a good amount of padding, have two zippered pockets for things you can't risk bouncing out, and have bomber contruction. You can get them straight from Hoss but I've also seen them for around $35 on E-Bay and Amazon, just in limited color choices.
    Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come

mtbr member
    get some bibs. good brands: craft, giordana, louis garneau, gore, assos. vastly superior to any baggie short when you consider fit and comfort only. if you are concerned about not looking like a roadie then get the hoss ponderosa. the mtn bike pros wear bibs and theres a reason why - they fit so much better and dont slide down like EVERY pair of shorts, even the hoss ponderosa.

Apr 2004
    Just buy a cheap pair of lycra shorts and wear your cargos over them.

all about the ride down
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufudufus
    Just buy a cheap pair of lycra shorts and wear your cargos over them.
    +1- I have a couple pairs of Sugoi liner shorts and really like the BDU style shorts to wear over them
    The More People I Meet the More I Prefer Dogs!

mtbr member
    i like Fox shorts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    REI sells novaro (their house brand) padded liners for like $25. I bought a pair of those and just wear whatever shorts I want. Of course I would like a full on mtb short but I'm on a budget

Feb 2009
    I like my Fuji mountain bike shorts

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I've been wearing cargo shorts over UnderArmour with no bad side effects, but I'm here on the beginner forum...YMMV.

mtbr member
    I just completed my first ride with Hoss shorts. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the padding. It feels like what I imagine wearing a diaper would feel like.

Hoosier
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelth
    I just completed my first ride with Hoss shorts. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the padding. It feels like what I imagine wearing a diaper would feel like.
    You'll get used to it and learn to love it on long rides. Just make sure you have your shorts pulled up so the chamois pad is snug, I wear my riding shorts significantly higher than regular shorts.

Also, to the OP, don't buy "padded" shorts if you're looking for comfort/softness. The pad is there to absorb sweat and prevent chaffing. For soreness issues you may need a new saddle or just some time to get your butt used to riding.
    SS is like beer...its an acquired taste.

Gig'em Aggies!
    Thanks for the responses.

Keatan: I have a fizik gobi saddle which I like. My but is just too bony. I am fine for a 2 hour ride without anything extra, but I want to get into some longer rides and would like to do some endurance racing (8 hour solo).

I will probably get some lycra shorts and just wear them under the cargo shorts. Price point also has some padded underwear for $11 a pair that wouldn't be bad.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Another endorsement for the Hoss Ponderosas. While they do feel like the padding is quite thick when you are not on the bike, I find they are perfect while riding. And that is where it matters. I also have a pair of Fox Rangers and while they are ok I like the Hoss's better.

mtbr member
    I've been riding with the Hoss Ponderosas too, and love them. I also just picked up a pair of Nema Boosts off of Chainlove for around $30. If I had to choose, I'd say I like the Ponderosas better, but I can't complain about the Nemas. Both have a good chamois and are comfortable. I like the outer material of the Hoss shorts a little better and they have more pockets. I've noticed that I tend to catch the Nema shorts on my seat from time to time, while that typically doesn't happen as badly with the Hoss shorts.

plays well with cows
    you ever try a thong? might be good when it gets really hot out...

08 fsrXC pro
    04 cirrus comp
    RIP 01 Slayer

MTB Name Professor Pedals

Members who have read this thread: 0