Bike Security Advice Please!!!!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Bike Security Advice Please!!!!!!

Hi just bought my first mountain bike today a used Trek Fuel 90 Disc for 600 I dont wanna lose this bike in anyway and dont want it stolen Im leaving it inside my house will do occasional XC but will also be using it to commute to college and thats where I wanna keep it secured. Does anybody have advice on types of locks locking methods and brands thanks for any help that can be given. THANK YOU!!!!!

p.s. I live in NYC and I hear stories of bikes getting stolen all the time so I'm extremely worried.

mtbr member
    u-lock! don't lock it in shady places and don't leave it outside insofar as you can avoid it. lock it when it's inside too! since it's easy to steal a front wheel with a quick release skewer, get a cable that locks on the u-lock and goes through the wheels.

you might find lots of info on the "commuting" forum if you search for threads about locks.

this is helpful too- Lock Strategy

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Buy a turd with bolt on wheels for commuting and U-bolt lock.
    No lock is thief proof, if they want your bike they will get it.

skaterqwertyuiop
    https://www.sheldonbrown.com/images/locktechnique1.jpg
    and bring the front wheel with you.
    I used to do that before i could afford to have 2 bikes (commuter/XC bike and AM/FR bike)
    It's not about what bike you ride, but how hard you tear it up :)

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I understand protecting/locking up your bike and that's fine. But honestly I find it FUNNY when people say " lock your bike up even inside your house/apt etc.." I know everyone wants to protect your investment but I just find it hilarious.....sorry just had to get that out my system since I see people say that all the time

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reice05 View Post
    I understand protecting/locking up your bike and that's fine. But honestly I find it FUNNY when people say " lock your bike up even inside your house/apt etc.." I know everyone wants to protect your investment but I just find it hilarious.....sorry just had to get that out my system since I see people say that all the time
    I actually used to do that but got over it relatively quickly. Now all of my bikes are in my room with me and my door is locked when I'm out. If you're a college student and live on or near campus, I would suggest walking. I have come out to people gathered around my bike messing with it before and am not a big fan of that. I have also heard of people kicking the wheels and bending the rims on other forums on here. I'm sure it doesn't happen often but my bikes are too important to me to chance it.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reice05 View Post
    But honestly I find it FUNNY when people say " lock your bike up even inside your house/apt etc.."
    I'm sure it's funny until someone breaks into your house and steals all your stuff. it has not happened to me yet but a lot of my friends have been robbed. I met a lady who had her bike stolen out of her locked garage in the suburbs. a friend of mine had his custom bmx bike stolen out of his locked car while it was parked for the night in his driveway. someone followed him home, waited til late, and busted out his window to steal just the bike. in my neighborhood, break-ins are an everyday thing, but being in the burbs does not make you or your stuff much safer from people who really want stuff they can sell quickly.

1+ on getting a cheap bike for getting around town.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    u-lock and cable: cable through front wheel and ulock through frame & rear wheel and cable to that.
    or
    just a u lock: make the back wheel just a thru-bolt axle instead of qr then put lock through front wheel and frame then to post.

T.W.O.
    There's no such thing as security unless you are riding the ugliest bike on campus. College commute, I'd go with a $50 used bike and keep your mtb at home. Renter and home insurance would be the way to go, post the pic of your bike on the forum it would at least prove the ownership for insurance.

I've got my whole roof rack system stolen in front of my house so College campus is just too easy. Do a search on YouTube there are vid of people stealing their own bike in a crowded place and no one cares.

mtbr member
    get a cheap commuter bike. trust me. when i was in college i stopped mountain biking because I'd break something on my bike and then I couldn't use it to ride to school. especially now a days with craigslist and ebay, there's not excuse for not have a cheap commuter.