Bike seat height picture.- Mtbr.com
    banned
    Sep 2011

Bike seat height picture.

I made a thread before about why people have the seat way above the handelbars and associated that with proper fit. My bike is always even with the handle bars so I got concerned that maybe my bike is to big.

I feel great on it, no bend in my elbows, but I don't feel like I am reaching for the bars either. I cab get full power and sprint without ever leaving the seat...So I assume that is a pretty good fit. Well here is my bike recently and with my seat in the riding position....how's it look? Does this look like it is in the proper position overall? Oh and excuse the rear tire, classic whitewall, I stole it off an old NEXT cruiser when my Kenda came apart..... Hey...it works....pretty well actually.

What could go wrong ...
    seat height is set when there is a slight bend in the knee when the crank is in line with the seat tube ... I'd be more concerned about the "no bend in my elbows"

there are several methods to set your seat height HERE
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

banned
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoke2 View Post
    seat height is set when there is a slight bend in the knee when the crank is in line with the seat tube ... I'd be more concerned about the "no bend in my elbows"

there are several methods to set your seat height HERE
    Yah, I'm set with the knee bend thing.

The straight out arms tell me my bike is to big though, even though I feel totally comfortable and can ride pretty much al day with no major pain in my shoulders or arms.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    You are short and that bike has a long travel fork which raises the front end. That riding position may work just fine for you. The frame itself doen't appear to have an overly long head tube. I'm guessing you don't feel stretched out either.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

banned
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dru View Post
    You are short and that bike has a long travel fork which raises the front end. That riding position may work just fine for you. The frame itself doen't appear to have an overly long head tube. I'm guessing you don't feel stretched out either.

Drew

I don't feel stretched at all... I'm pretty nimble on it and although it is a quite large bike when looking at it and heavy, I can put her where I want very fast. It doesn't feel big.
    I know they say have elbow bend to take hits and bumps, but I think it's overrated. I've taken many hits and never hurt my elbows or hands....I do have some bend....but nothing really noticeable.

I love the feel of that bike ever since I sat on it in the store...I sat on it and was like "this is the one"(my first good MT bike in 2007) It is very fun to ride, but heavy...you do feel the weight over bumps and the forks totally way to stiff, but....it is a great bike. I also like the looks of it better than anything else I've seen.

I'd love to put on Reba forks, Deore drives, lighter wheels ect ect, but I don't have the money to dump into it. I bet it would be a killer machine with all top stuff and lighter weight.

banned
    Sep 2011
    Another view...

local trails rider
    My rule of thumb for getting seat height "about right" for efficient pedaling is to pedal with my heels on the pedals, and raise the seat until I can barely do it without rocking my hips at all. Then I have a slight bend in the knee when the ball of the foot is on the pedal.

... I like to have my hands a little below seat level: otherwise I feel like I'm perched high above the bike and cannot control it properly. Others have different preferences.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Members who have read this thread: 0