Bike performance- Mtbr.com
    nOOb

Bike performance

Just a quick question. I recently picked up two bikes, an older Specialized Hardrock (98-01) and a newer Cannondale F7 (07-09). I love both of them. The Cannondale is a beast on the trails, rides like its on the street. The Specialized is a great, light, and fast bike. It's actually faster than the F7. Is this a common thing when it comes to different bikes? What do you call the difference in speed, carrying speed? I've noticed the difference several times, the Spec, just wants to go fast, faster than than other bikes I've riding. The F7 is solid on the trails. Is it just weight, tires, set-up? Any answers would be a great help.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    "Is it just weight, tires, set-up?" yes.

correct fit will make you faster. the right tires for the task at hand. weight makes it harder to climb and accelerate but not really "speed".
    and finally perception. are you actually going faster ( gps track ) or does it just feel that way.

T.W.O
    Multiple bikes in the garage.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Feel is very subjective ,toop really know you have to time the trail or track lots of times ,that's the only way to tell for sure.

mtbr member
    I have an older bike and I get the impression that bikes have gotten rather fat in the past 8 years.

My KHS Alite 4000 hardtail is something like 23lbs. That is with good old V brakes, 3x9 XT drivetrain, and tube 26" tires. My 98 Moongoose DX 6.5 beginner bike was solid, but heavy at 28lbs. Now a days it seems that 28lbs is not all that heavy. I know my KHS is quite a bit faster simply due to less weight in wheels, drive train and frame.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0