bike for newbie- Mtbr.com

Thread: bike for newbie

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Smile bike for newbie

Is planning to buy my first mountain bike this summer. budget about 600-700.
    totally have no idea about this. Can anyone suggest some bike to me?

my friend suggest a few to me.
    Jamis X3, Durango 1, Dakar XC Sport
    Diamond black Response, Avalanche
    what do you think?

appreciate for every response!!
    Last edited by 7910; 06-24-2011 at 04:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    LBS have some decent entry level bikes at that price range. Ride everything slightly above and below your price range and learn what you like and learn a bit about components.

You will want to go Hard Tail if you insist on going new.

Keep an eye on craigslist I found a lightly used 1 year old stump jumper for 375. That being said almost everything in there is a overpriced junk so if you do not know about components you can easily end up with a 3 year old hardrock base model for 300 dollars as well.

Bikesdirect is also an option. It will give you considerably more bang for you buck then a local bike shop, but you don't get to test ride it before you get it.

Consider a 29er as well they seem to be very popular recently.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    what do you think about bikes I mentioned?
    Last edited by 7910; 06-24-2011 at 04:41 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    For 600-700 you can get an Avalanche 1.0 if you find a sale. I would say you are hard pressed to find a bike spec'ed the same in that price. I have a 2.0 that has been more than capable.

mtbr member
    I just bought my 1st HT last year. I shopped around at a few LBS and rode a few sizes of bikes to see what I liked better. Rode some 26ers and 29ers. Found out what size you need and then do some price watching. Don't buy on impulse.

Once you know what size and 26 or 29 wheel. Then look into your budget.

Just by looks and value I really like the Jamis Durango 1. I dont know much about the RST fork but the Deore Shadow deraillers are nice.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruneor View Post
    I just bought my 1st HT last year. I shopped around at a few LBS and rode a few sizes of bikes to see what I liked better. Rode some 26ers and 29ers. Found out what size you need and then do some price watching. Don't buy on impulse.

Once you know what size and 26 or 29 wheel. Then look into your budget.

Just by looks and value I really like the Jamis Durango 1. I dont know much about the RST fork but the Deore Shadow deraillers are nice.
    actually what is 26er and 29er? I see that a lot in here.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 7910 View Post
    actually what is 26er and 29er? I see that a lot in here.

Those are references to wheel sizes.

T.W.O.
    -1 on Bike direct. If you are new to mountain bike or cycling it's not really for you. Buy used for $700 yo can get pretty good bike here's the link you can start looking.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/list...0&pmin=&page=2

or this in the US
    http://bike.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/bike.c...=d&submit=+GO+

Do some homework then post some questions.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    -1 on Bike direct. If you are new to mountain bike or cycling it's not really for you. Buy used for $700 yo can get pretty good bike here's the link you can start looking.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/list...0&pmin=&page=2

or this in the US
    http://bike.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/bike.c...=d&submit=+GO+

Do some homework then post some questions.
    Mimi, I probably agree with about 90% of the advice you give to newbs, but I am a little confused on this one. The reasons to avoid Bikesdirect are, to me, multiplied many times over when you go out on the used market. Unless you get lucky and find something local on those internet classifieds, you are still buying sight unseen, and trying to judge condition by pictures as well.

Again, I certainly wouldn't recommend Bikesdirect to someone who doesn't even know the difference between a 26er and a 29er yet, but I wouldn't recommend Pinkbike either. Sounds to me like the OP really needs to stick to LBSs this time around, accept getting lesser components in exchange for proper fitment, assembly quality, and the ability to test ride/fit lots of different models.
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Screw the search function... you're new, ask the question(s). If anyone gets thier undies in a bunch it's thier problem.

mtbr member
    I would say in your price bikesdirect.com it will have the best parts. If you can bump up the budget a few hundred more you can get one from a shop and get the same quality. I find that in your price buying online is the best option. You need to be careful because in that price range if you dont shop around and do research you can get a bike with some crappy parts. I know its a hard pill to swallow that at 700 bucks you can still get a bike with some crappy parts. Naturally one would think for 700 all the parts would be good bit its not so. If you want a good bike from a shop you need to drop like 1000 I only tell you this from personal experience. Mountain bikes take a lot of abuse and stuff wears out fast on the entry level bikes. For example the wheels will be cheap the cassette the brakes will be so so and usually a very low end fork. All put together when you start riding alot the parts will hold you back. The bikes direct bikes listed above have pretty good parts in your price the fork is the best entry level fork the brakes are pretty good the wheels are ok and the finishing kit is ok as well. The frame is not the best looking but it will be a good starter bike. Now if you dont like the looks of the BD bikes you need to up the budget and you can get something with nicer paint. Ideally if you are sure you will like the sport and you can swing it the best recommendation I can give you is to up your price to around 1000 or 1200. If you dont think you will like the sport or not sure spend less. The problem is if you love the sport in 6 months you will be wanting to upgrade and that gets expensive. If you just spend the money up front you can get a bike you wont need to upgrade and you can ride the piss out of it and it wont break.

For example something like this bikes direct bike will last for along tome without needing new parts other than chains. If you compare this to the Giant bike I listed it is worlds better for less money. Dont get me wrong I love Giant bikes but if you want a Giant or Cannondale ext. you need to drop some cash 700 wont do it. I would say if 700 is your top price get the bikes direct bike if you can up the budget to 1200 I would still go Bikes Direct but if you can go around 1500 or more get a big brand like Giant Cannondale Trek Ext.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/.../fly_pro_x.htm
    http://www.treefortbikes.com/#navbar...222368285___35

mtbr member
    As far as the bikes you listed they look good but are littered with cheap parts. If you dont know what to look for you wont see it the bike companies know how to paint the bikes so they look good and expensive when really they are not. For any serious mountain biking you need good gear and good gear cost money. If you are just planning on putting around on roads and some easy trails your budget is good. If not and you want to do epic hardcore rides up the budget.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash Test Dumby View Post
    Mimi, I probably agree with about 90% of the advice you give to newbs, but I am a little confused on this one. The reasons to avoid Bikesdirect are, to me, multiplied many times over when you go out on the used market. Unless you get lucky and find something local on those internet classifieds, you are still buying sight unseen, and trying to judge condition by pictures as well.

Again, I certainly wouldn't recommend Bikesdirect to someone who doesn't even know the difference between a 26er and a 29er yet, but I wouldn't recommend Pinkbike either. Sounds to me like the OP really needs to stick to LBSs this time around, accept getting lesser components in exchange for proper fitment, assembly quality, and the ability to test ride/fit lots of different models.
    Thanks Crash Test Dumby, I can see why Pinkbike is not a good idea for him right now. I see that he's in Canada so I thought of PB.

The best way to go for a newbie is LBS(local bike shop) It's the safe way to go. Look for a shop that offer service warranty like lifetime tune up, or at least a few years. With the budget it should be easy enough to find a decent hardtail. It's a good idea to stick with Giant, Specialized, Cannondale, and Trek because they are bigger companies you can also look for the 2010 model that they may have on the showroom floor they would be cheaper and would have same or similar components.

Consider the bikedirect buying later when you have better understanding of the frame, components and how to fix or tune them.

AZ
    banned
    Does BD ship to Canada?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Does BD ship to Canada?
    As I understood it from another Canadian poster, they do ship to Canada, but shipping is not free, and Canada applies import duties, or local taxes or something, so in the end it costs as much or more than buying at a LBS.
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Screw the search function... you're new, ask the question(s). If anyone gets thier undies in a bunch it's thier problem.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash Test Dumby View Post
    As I understood it from another Canadian poster, they do ship to Canada, but shipping is not free, and Canada applies import duties, or local taxes or something, so in the end it costs as much or more than buying at a LBS.

Noted , thank you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Really informative thread. Thanks to all. The DB does look like a bargain until you add on shipping & any duties.

I have visited 2 LBS: Trek and Cyclepath. Initially I wanted to buy used for $200-$300. After doing some research I found you can buy new from LBS in the $600-$700 bracket. I like the idea of having a warranty and 1-2 years service from my LBS.

So far I am between these 2 bikes:

Trek 3700 Disc
    Devinci Cameleon 1

I can't tell much of a difference which is why I am here. Any help is sincerely appreciated.

(Sorry I can't post links directly as I am a newbie)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aortsu View Post
    Really informative thread. Thanks to all. The DB does look like a bargain until you add on shipping & any duties.

I have visited 2 LBS: Trek and Cyclepath. Initially I wanted to buy used for $200-$300. After doing some research I found you can buy new from LBS in the $600-$700 bracket. I like the idea of having a warranty and 1-2 years service from my LBS.

So far I am between these 2 bikes:

Trek 3700 Disc
    Devinci Cameleon 1

I can't tell much of a difference which is why I am here. Any help is sincerely appreciated.

(Sorry I can't post links directly as I am a newbie)
    Sure you can get one of those bikes but they are both garbage. The forks are crap the crank the derailleurs the cassette the wheels everything is junk. Ask one of these guys here who would get any of the parts on those bikes for their bikes no one would. Those bikes are a joke as far as mtbs go if you are going to be doing any hard riding. They are good for park riding but not hard core mountain biking. I am not trying to be a dick but its true I don't want to see you get crap. If you are a little handy you can get a bike online if you are in Canada look for a bike thats better in Canada. I really cannot recommend that you spend your hard earned money on a low end kids bike. The cranks on the bikes are the cheapest ones shimano makes the wheels on the trek are single wall not even mtb rims. The brakes on both are crap the chains are cheap everything is cheap.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    500 For that trek is a complete waste. You would be better off buying a NorthRock from costco. Only costs 300. I doubt you will go through 200 dollars of repairs in a year. Seriously the components are better.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yep - I own the Northrock XC6, great buy!
    http://www.northrockbikes.com/mountain-xc6.php

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm in the same boat as you.