Bike Luggage Question/ Flying with a bike Question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Bike Luggage Question/ Flying with a bike Question

Hi,

My first question is: Does anyone know of a good bike case that you can put a 20" mountain bike in? I've looked, but there are quite a few and most are $350+ which I was hoping for something under 200.

Now, here is my second question. The max weight for airline luggage is now 50lbs ...so if you have a 25lb case, you better have a 24lb bike. So does the airline make exceptions to this?

Or are there other ways to fly with a bike? I figure that throwing them in a case is the best idea. But my FS bike is about 28-29 lbs and well, I'd need a case under 20# to meet the airlines 50# requirement.

If anyone has any suggestions, comments, or ideas, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Former Bike Wrench

Good job! Inexpensive and Light

This case is pretty light and inexpensive...though maybe not super durable. Airlines charge for over 50lbs...they don't care how it gets to that weight so getting a light box is critical.

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/commo...6,3&TextMode=0

Good Luck

MTBR Demi-God
    Apr 2006
    As far as I know, the airplanes do not consider bikes to be a part of the 50lb free luggage. They consider it separate, and charge 90 bucks. They do not care about the weight, as long as its a bike- nothing else stuffed into it.

I have been flying with Singapore airlines, and they follow this rule. Continental also follows this- check this link out:
    http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...0BE5AEFFA3215F

mtbr member
    Wow,

that can add up ... I want a bike for when I visit home, but It may be worth buying a cheaper bike and leaving it there ....

MTBR Demi-God
    Apr 2006
    I remember once I was able to fool the airline authorities into thinking that the bike was just a part of my allowed baggage....

I had removed both the wheels, and packed the frame (with components) in a very discrete manner... a square box, made it look like just an oversized package... and wheels in the suitcase....

So the suitcase became 1 peice, and the frame became another peice. And I checked in when it was the most busy... so the guy was like "what do you have in there"... and I said "just some stuff for home".... and he was like ok... you might have to pay the oversized fee... and I gladly paid the $15... rather than $90.....

it worked both ways.

mtbr member
    Yeah it seems that these days the airlines are pretty anal about charging extra for bikes now matter if they fit the size and weight requirements or not. I was thinking the same thing of just completely taking the bike apart and packing it between two suitcases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    You can get a good bike box from Performance for under $200 and if you get a coupon for 10 or 20% you'll be doing really good. I've used mine quite a lot for my triathlon bike with no problems. I find it better to FedX the bike to my destination if possible. It's usually cheaper and you'll have better service and better insurance than you will with the airlines. Unless you are going to Hawaii, FedX is usually a better deal

Members who have read this thread: 0