bike lock?- Mtbr.com

Thread: bike lock?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

bike lock?

my dads bike got stolen off of his car last night. it was locked with one of the cable locks. and they just cut it and pulled it off his car carrier. he rides it at work and stuff.

so now my question is i do not have a garage to keep my bike in. but i have a power pole on my property that i have been bolting my bike to, but what locks are you guys using? are there some that are more secure then others? what are your suggestions?

~Disc~Golf~
    Bring it IN THE HOUSE!!!
    Locks are nothing more than time-extenders.

I almost* feel no sympathy for someone who gets their bike stolen while "locked-up" outside

*I said almost
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If I HAD to and there were no other option I would probably go with one of these chains and for the lock I've got no idea,nothing quite matches the security provided by the chain. No you you can probably see why i don't keep my bike outside

Trying not to kill myself
    Bummer about your dad's bike. I don't even go into a store with it on my car rack unless I can see it out the window. As for what lock you should use - you'll never stop a determined thief, but you can at least make him work really hard for the bike....

mtbr member
    Search youtube for "u lock angle grinder" and watch the carnage. Nothing is safe.

But u-locks will at least slow thieves down for a couple of minutes. Cable locks are done in seconds, and are absolutely useless as a primary lock.

Class Clown
    lol that pic is hilarious. DO NOT leave your bike outside! a thief will notice it and come back another time with the tools to take it.

now sometimes you have to lock it up when you're on the go but that's what a cheap commuter bike is for...krypto + braided steel lock.

DynoDon
    buy yourself a shed, old van, inclosed trailer or take it in the house, out of sight out of mind. and take this good luck...

T.W.O.
    There's no need for locks on a mountain bike, you load the bike from home go to the trail and ride, back to the car then load the bike and go home then put the bike away. Unless I stop at gas station or drive-thru I don't stop anywhere else.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Unfortunately if someone wants to steal your bike there is very little deterance a bike lock can offer. I agree with placing the bike were someone can't see it.

Fueled by Tigerblood
    If you absolutely have to, a chain lock will be your best bet. The braided cable locks can be snipped by even the smallest of cable cutters, because you can easily just cut the individual strands, a few at a time.

A heavy chain and a padlock is your best bet, although as others have said, if someone really wants it, they're going to get it. Maby put it under a tarp against the side of your house? Make it look like a pile of wood?
    2011 ERIKSEN XX BUILD IN PROGRESS HERE: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=698673

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Ive cut off a cable lock in a few minutes, and that was with some really crappy dull wire cutters. It had a pretty decent sized cable on it too. I would use a u-lock if I lived in the city. With that said, I use a cheapy keyed cable lock. I only lock it up on campus for hours at a time, although I probably don't even have to lock it up, its a cheapy toys-r-us Schwinn.

Members who have read this thread: 0