Bike input- Mtbr.com

Thread: Bike input

Jyn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Bike input

Wasn't getting enough feedback on the other forum, and interests have slightly changed. I'm looking for my 'first' (read: first good) mountain bike. It will be used for trail riding and jumping. When I rode BMX, I rode hard and I expect to do the same in this sport. However, my knowledge is limited when it comes to mountain bikes.

I don't really want something that I'll need to throw money into for upgrading to suit me better. I know that's a lot to ask for when my budget is in the $600 range.

A friend is selling his '97 stumpjumper with the following upgrades:
    1. 2005 Manitou Black front fork ($550)
    2. 2003 Cane Creek headset
    3. 2003 Raceface Prodigy XC crank set and front sprocket ($150)
    4. 2003 Raceface XS ISIS bottom bracket
    5. 2003 Shimano XT full driveline upgrade including rear cassette, front/rear derailleurs, brake levers, shifter levers, chain, and all cabling ($250)
    6. 2003 Wheel build with Mavic X517 ceramic rims and standard gauge DT Swiss butted spokes with brass nipples (used original hubs since they were in good condition). Front rim is radial-laced. ($350)
    7. 2000 Race Face 2 riser handle bars (puts you into a more upright riding position)
    8. 2004 Specialized XC Mountain Stem
    9. 2000 Rock Shox Suspension seat post
    10. IRC MythosXC 2.1 tires front and rear
    11. ODI aftermarket grips (best Ive ever found)
    12. Specialized SPE Body Geometry Seat

Input on that bike? Input on other options in my price range?

Thanks

flying fatass
    It seems like it would be a more XC oriented bike....and the components are kind of old and out dated...but i would say if you stick to trail riding, you should be OK, but i wouldnt suggest jumping on that bike.....with all that old XC equipment, i wouldnt doubt youd start breaking parts if you crash....

I think i saw your post on the DH forum too, you were looking for a more freeride oriented bike...

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Bike+2008.aspx

the only bike i can think of for near that price that would be worth any consideration would be the one in the link above...

Its a Jamis Parker 1 from 2008.....the frame itself is good (although some of the componentry may be worth changing after some time)...its a park bike, so it will be good on the trails, but the frame is burly enough for jumps and what not (just dont take em too big)....Ive got the Dakar XLT from them, and its essentially the same frame with AM/XC geometry....its held up quite well to my 230lb's doing light freeride at times, though i mostly do trail riding.....
    Quote Originally Posted by BeaverTail
    Should your balls sit in front of the saddle or on the saddle? Im a bit confused.

Jyn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for the info. It seems like the availability on the Jamis is somewhat limited.

I'm looking at the Kona Stinky's but haven't had much luck. The classifieds over on pinkbikes are a little sketchy, plus everything is listed from Canada.

Any other ideas?

flying fatass
    craigslist/ebay..plus this place has classifieds too....

You may also want to consider a hardtail.....you can buy decent used ones for not much over what your price range is.....Im not too fond of them though, so someone else is going to have to chime in with good suggestions for some....

Also, you say "When I rode BMX, I rode hard and I expect to do the same in this sport", but what exact kind of riding are you looking for? You say you want to do jumps too? I really think that you (being from a BMX background) should look more into an Urban/Dirtjump hardtail...especially given your price range.....they would have similar geometry (maybe a little more relaxed) but are made simple and strong, so they can take a few crashes.....

look at this

http://jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/h...9_komodo1.html

HT bike, MSRP just under 700$...it may not be the best one to get, but it gives you an idea of what (i think) would be a good choice.....raise the seat up a bit and you can be comfortable on the trails, lower it again and it should be good for jumps....
    Should your balls sit in front of the saddle or on the saddle? Im a bit confused.

Jyn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I plan to be riding technical trails and doing some jumping -- nothing crazy, but something I can have fun on without worrying about it falling apart.

To be perfectly honest, a Kona would probably be overkill for what I plan to do.

flying fatass
    then a hardtail would be ok.....since you came from a BMX background, then you should know how to pump and absorb impacts without the handicap of rear suspension, so riding through techy stuff should be good, plus it would be more nimble and flickable too....so a nice burly hardtail should be fine, plus its simpler, so less to fall apart......

Jyn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Any thoughts on this ebay find?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/09-GARY-FISHER-R...item53dde157d7

Or buying the GF Opie, specialized hardrock 29er (2010) new from the dealer?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I just bought this last month and have been very happy with it so far. I've been doing trails and light jumps with it and it rides and shifts smoothly. The frame isn't name brand so the resale won't be great but it's still a good bike:

http://www.rei.com/product/776817

There's also a 29'er version of that bike on the site if you were looking for a 29er.

Members who have read this thread: 0