Bike Help- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Bike Help

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    38

    Bike Help

    Hey guys I am relatively new to biking. I have an 05 specialized hardrock comp disc. I can't get my bike to shift from 2nd to 3rd on the left hand side...my dealer put a new chain on (mine broke) and I told him of my issue. He put a longer chain on and it seemed to shift fine. I rode it in the lot and still fine...I get home ride it in my lot....doesn't do it. What is causing this? What might need to be replaced? Any parts I replace I want to be upgraded as eventually I would like to fully upgrade the bike. Also what are some good forks reasonably priced between 200-400$ that would be more suited for All-Mountain? I greatly appreciate everyones help in advanced.

    -Adam

  2. #2
    Haro Sonix LT VL120
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    812
    mmm...kinda vague. Put the shifter in granny gear (smallest chainring) and pedal the bike to make sure the chain is seated in the cogs properly. Once you do that, check the exposed shifting cable that is hooked onto the front derailleur (not the shifter on the handlebar) for slack. When the derailleur and shifter are in the 1st (granny gear) the shifting cable should be somewhat taut. If the cable is loose and bendy than unscrew the allen bolt on the front derailleur and pull the cable straight with your fingers or a pair of pliers (don't squeeze too hard with the pliers) and then tighted the allen bolt while pulling the cable tight. This is just a random guess at the prob. Is there a grinding noise when you try to shift into 3rd?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    38
    Yes there is it sounds like its scraping and if you look down while riding you can see the chain trying to make its way up onto the gear and then sliding off and rubbing.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    38
    Also just went and checked, everything is seated well and the cable is relatively tight

  5. #5
    Picture Unrelated
    Reputation: zebrahum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,123
    Take the cable out of the fixing bolt on the derailleur and check to see if the shifter still has all three clicks in it. If it doesn't, spray the living crap out of the shifter with WD-40 or Triflow aerosol (yep, that's pretty much the only application WD-40 is used for on bikes). If it does have three clicks, then shift to the lowest gear and put the cable back onto the derailleur with the barrel adjuster at the shifter threaded all the way in. Use the extra barrel adjuster turns to help dial in the shifting.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

  6. #6
    Haro Sonix LT VL120
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    812
    Either the derailleur has to be adjusted or there is too much slack in the line. Before you do anything, try turning the barrel adjuster on you front shifter counterclockwise. This will add some tension to the shifter cable and might solve the problem. Turn it one full rotation and then pedal the bike and try to shift into third. If it seems to be getting better than turn the barrel adjuster another full rotation and see if it will shift into gear.

  7. #7
    Haro Sonix LT VL120
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    812
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum
    Take the cable out of the fixing bolt on the derailleur and check to see if the shifter still has all three clicks in it. If it doesn't, spray the living crap out of the shifter with WD-40 or Triflow aerosol (yep, that's pretty much the only application WD-40 is used for on bikes). If it does have three clicks, then shift to the lowest gear and put the cable back onto the derailleur with the barrel adjuster at the shifter threaded all the way in. Use the extra barrel adjuster turns to help dial in the shifting.

    Um... the shifter won't necessarily "click" if there is no tension on the shifting cable. Am I wrong?

  8. #8
    Picture Unrelated
    Reputation: zebrahum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,123
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Avid
    Um... the shifter won't necessarily "click" if there is no tension on the shifting cable. Am I wrong?
    Yeah, a little bit wrong. Most shifters will click if you just hold them in your hand even without a cable attached to them.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

  9. #9
    Haro Sonix LT VL120
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    812
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum
    Yeah, a little bit wrong. Most shifters will click if you just hold them in your hand even without a cable attached to them.

    Yeah I always had to pull on the cable to get the shifter to cycle thru all three shift points. Usually it will click the first one or two.

  10. #10
    Picture Unrelated
    Reputation: zebrahum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,123
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Avid
    Yeah I always had to pull on the cable to get the shifter to cycle thru all three shift points. Usually it will click the first one or two.
    Sometimes the cable can get jammed up with the cable end coming out and if you don't hold a little bit of tension on it, but it will click regardless of holding tension on it or not.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,299
    Check youtube vid's and parktool to learn how to adjust it.

    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...ur-adjustments

  12. #12
    Haro Sonix LT VL120
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    812
    How'd you make out?

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.