GBD
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008

... and if we just ... Bike Cover Reccomended?

I keep my bike outside, under a patio, because underneath it is not to hot and stops the sunlight. the shed we have gets stinking hot and would melt the bike

i am thinkin gof getting a bike cover.

would this benefit the bike? protect it more?
    would this keep that nice shiny silver look to the gears?
    i cant store it inside, not allowed to
    so anyone reccomend a specific bike cover? could i make my own?

thanks, all you advice is greatly appreciated

GBD

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    What do you mean can't keep it inside?!!! How uncivilized!!!,

Seriously, bike covers tend to be a bit pricey and can be hard to find in some places.

If dampness isn't a concern, drape any old cloth such as a worn bedsheet, over it to keep dust off, otherwise you should use a plastic tarp to keep it dry.

If you're a bit skilled with a needle, either material can be cut and sewn into a nice fitted bike cover.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

mtbr member
    Depending on the size and type of bike, a barbecue cover will fit and be cheaper. I think I heard that the motorcycles covers are cheap as well.

Personally, I live in a 1 bedroom apt with my wife so the bike stays outside year round. I only cover it with a tarp, but that has worked fine so far

GBD
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Ahh, yes, but i have no BBQ cover,

might try that tarp idea. Im sure someone could sew some together for me. i guess as long as it keeps dust and moisture off?

i see what u mean about bike covers being expensive... like 100 bucks for some waterproof material in the sahpe of a bike, that tighen near the bottom on the wheels and has holes so u can put a bike lock through... really overpriced

would you guys need to lock ur bike if u leave it outside?
    i dunno if i should start securing it to something....

thanks for the help

Probably drunk right now

Put it in the shed...

Quote Originally Posted by GBD
    Ahh, yes, but i have no BBQ cover,

might try that tarp idea. Im sure someone could sew some together for me. i guess as long as it keeps dust and moisture off?

i see what u mean about bike covers being expensive... like 100 bucks for some waterproof material in the sahpe of a bike, that tighen near the bottom on the wheels and has holes so u can put a bike lock through... really overpriced

would you guys need to lock ur bike if u leave it outside?
    i dunno if i should start securing it to something....

thanks for the help
    The problem with tarps (unless they're more expensive bike covers) is they trap moisture and rust your bike. Keep it inside or in your shed vs. the tarp.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I don't think you really need to cover it. So long as it isn't getting pelted by rain or snow it should be fine. If you wipe down the bike after rides, that should be enough cleaning to keep it looking shiny and new.

In terms of exposure to the elements and dust, you are doing more damage to the bike when you ride it as opposed to leaving it uncovered under a patio.

GBD
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Oh wow, crimson fox, i fully agree. that is an amazing and awesome perspective and way to loook at this situation.

but if i was to make a cover, what materials should i use?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GBD
    I keep my bike outside, under a patio, because underneath it is not to hot and stops the sunlight. the shed we have gets stinking hot and would melt the bike

i am thinkin gof getting a bike cover.

would this benefit the bike? protect it more?
    would this keep that nice shiny silver look to the gears?
    i cant store it inside, not allowed to
    so anyone reccomend a specific bike cover? could i make my own?

thanks, all you advice is greatly appreciated

GBD
    Wil the patio keep it dry? If so, you don't need a cover. If not, the shed sounds like a better option (assuming it is dry in there). Unless rubber pieces are melting, I don't see how the heat is going to harm it. If it gets wet under the patio, then the tarp is going to trap moisture, and that will be more detrimental over long periods of time. I would put something above the bike to keep it dry, but not covering the bike.

mtbr member
    Your shed is too hot? What is your bike made of chocolate? Seriously i doubt your shed gets hot enough to hurt your bike. Put it in the shed where it belongs.

Members who have read this thread: 0