bike computer question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

bike computer question

is the cateye strada wireless good? theres one on amazon for like 41 dollars.
    Amazon.com: Cateye CC-RD300W Strada Wireless Bicycle Computer: Sports & Outdoors

anyone have it?

i was also looking at the Sette Alpha X 17 which is 40 dollars.
    Sette Alpha X 17 Function Wireless Comp W/Cadence at Price Point

im torn someone help please. i really just want to know how far and fast im going and how long ive been riding. everything else is just a plus if it is included.

please excuse the noob question

thanks

DynoDon
    I like the wireless ones, but I use Planet Bike, around the same price, but it reads 4/5 things at once, it also has temp, average speed, top speed during ride. I also have a Specialized wireless on my road bike, the Spech only reads one thing at a time.
    I like the Planet Bike Protege 9.0 best, it does all I want from a computer.

Amazon.com: Planet Bike Protege 9.0 Wireless 9-Function Bike Computer with 4-Line Display and Temperature: Sports & Outdoors
    Four wheels transport the body,

Two wheels transport the soul !!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I too am thinking of a wireless one and find a bunch of them on fleabay for under 20 bucks shipped, are these crap? I am guessing they are.

Ride More, Work Less
    I love my planet bike on my road bike (wired, rear wheel)...haven't used one on my mtb in years. I am more appreciative of Planet Bike's bicycle advocacy. They just seem to have their priorities in order.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Also shopping around for one. Subscribed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Nashbar just had a sale on them. They had some marked as low as 20 bucks, retail 60-70..I think the model was VDO C1 wireless.

Salty member
    I've got the Cateye Micro wireless and really like it, I bought it off amazon for a good price. If you haven't read the thread on how to "roll out" your tire to get the proper input setting, I suggest reading up on it.
    2018 Santa Cruz Bronson Carbon C-S Build NOX/Hope Hoops
    If you're not bleeding, you're not trying...

XC Hack
    Dec 2011
    I just got a Sigma BC 1009. It's a basic wired computer and it smokes all the Cateyes I've had over the years. The numbers are crystal clear and huge for easy reading. The install is awesome with options to mount on bar or stem (mount rotates) using either o-rings or zipties. They have a wireless version too (BC1009 STS). I think people overlook Sigma for some reason--I did until I did some research. I'm super pleased.

mtbr member
    I would go flea-bay or the $40... or else just go for a Garmin Forerunner 305. It has almost all of the features of a wireless bike computer, plus it comes with a heart-rate monitor (usually sold separately for $50+). The latter is a huge deal if you ever want to get serious about cycling as fitness, as knowing your heart-rate is key.

I got it because it seemed like a good price on a "bundle" of wireless cyclocomputer and HRM.... about the same (or less) as the other wireless computers I was looking at. The GPS was just a bonus but assumed I wouldn't use it much. On the contrary, seeing my ride transposed against google/yahoo maps.... seeing the areas where I struggled (high heart-rate), my speeds in certain areas, the elevation changes at various points.... all ended up being much more interesting and useful than I thought. I was surprised that in certain trails that seemed "easier", aerobically, I actually was getting a better workout.

Anyway... one of the better values out there, IMO, since it includes the HRM and comes with almost all of the features of the more expensive bike-specific Garmins, but you can wear it as a watch (for activities other than biking), or mount it on your bars.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyHuynh View Post
    is the cateye strada wireless good? theres one on amazon for like 41 dollars.
    Amazon.com: Cateye CC-RD300W Strada Wireless Bicycle Computer: Sports & Outdoors

anyone have it?
    I bought the RD300W a few months ago for my hybrid (road riding) and it's been fine so far. I liked the fact that you can mount it on the stem.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I've had the best luck with Sigma. The computer is a bit bigger but that also comes with larger numbers and screen which I find a benefit while riding. You also get temperature and back light on lower models than you do with Cateye. These are certainly not make or break features but it is nice that Sigma adds them.

My road bike has a Sigma 1009 wired with cadence, I have a wireless Sigma on my Cannondale bad boy, and just ordered a Sigma wired for the SS I'm building. Didn't want to go wireless across the board because I don't want to deal with the extra batteries required.

Sigma and Cateye get the best reviews so I would stick with either of these. I have found no performance difference between the wire or wireless so for that it comes down to personal preference.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The nashbar sale is still on. Here is the one I just got..Im not looking for anything fancy.

VDO C1 Wireless Bike Computer - Cyclocomputers

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    If you have a smartphone try a free or low cost GPS apps. MotionX, MapMyRide, Strava, etc.
    I used to use a wireless cateye but after a while I got tired of it and took it off my bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    The Protege from PlanetBike is an excellent computer and very affordable. I's easy to read and gives you a lot of info.

I had a CatEye a few years ago and it was so small that it was difficult to read. The buttons were also too small so it was hard to navigate. Be sure to check the size before you order anything online. I like to be able to read my computer without having to take my eyes off the road for any length of time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Sette Alpha X 17

I just bought the

Sette Alpha X 17 Function Wireless Comp W/Cadence from Pricepoint. I just had a Cateye wired computer before and thought this would be a major upgrade, but I was sorely disappointed. For one, I dont care anything about Cadence. I mountainbike 90% of the time.
    My biggest disappointment is, you have to have it search every time you go bike to get it to work. Every time it has to "look" for the receiver. I liked my old wired Cateye where I just hop on and fly. Also didnt care for the two sensors, one for speed, one for cadence.
    Ive only had this on my bike for a week, and am willing to sell it lower than I bought it for. I have gone back to my good old reliable wired cateye.
    Write me at if you are interested in buying. Its a 49 dollar computer I will take 30 bucks for it

Suckin wind like a boss
    i have an atom sl 30 wireless on my hardtail, and aside from it being finicky with the sensor placement, its pretty spot on. once i figured out its sweet spot i have had nothing but good luck with it.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull30 View Post
    The nashbar sale is still on. Here is the one I just got..Im not looking for anything fancy.

VDO C1 Wireless Bike Computer - Cyclocomputers
    Actually not bad Imo I just use it for milage and average speed. I got caught in a thunderstorm in bfe a few weeks ago and no probs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have the Cateye CC-RD300W and like it a lot. It is large enough to read even without my reading glasses. It is auto on and off -- no worries about forgetting to turn it on. Just like the speedo/odo on your car. When you want to use it, just look at it.

Another nice feature is that there are no buttons on the top. The whole case IS the button, so it is easy to operate while bouncing around, and adds to the rainproofness. (There is actually a button on the underside between the shell and the mount. The case rocks on a pivot to push the button).

That said, I lost it when it fell off the bracket during a ride. It is not easy to get off, and I was surprised this happened. I called Cateye to buy a replacement head, and they informed me that it is not available separately, and that yes, they do shake loose occasionally. They recommended another Cateye mode (Enduro), saying that it is more rugged and geared towards MTB. But it is not wireless. So I brought another Cateye Strada, and put a zip tie around the foot so it can't come off.

For DWs bike I got a Bell Wireless from WalMart for $20. It works fine, has a thermometer which is nice, and like the cateye and unlike other cheap computers, supports setting wheel size to the mm. The only downside is that it is auto-off but not auto-on. You have to remember to turn it on, at the beginning of a ride as well as after stops. Also, it does not support stem mounting, whereas the Cateye does.