Bike / Class Recommendation?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Bike / Class Recommendation?

Hey everyone, first post here and I'm already looking to pick your brains.. I've been in the market for a bike on and off for about a year now, and am finally ready to pick something out.

My question to everyone is what bike class should I be looking into and what what bike in general? Firstly, I would say that my budget is around $500+, and the type of riding I will be doing will be mostly paved: jumping up and down curbs, maybe off some stairs here and there, hitting some local dirt trails (nothing major, it's flat where I live), and the most likely "rare" real authentic bike trail up in the mountains (although I guess that could change if I were to meet other people who ride).

The bikes I was into in the past were the Gary Fisher Marlin, and the Specialized Rockhopper. But what's interested me now is this whole "Freeride" and "Urban" classes that might be more my style. I'm pretty confused, thanks for the help in advance!

mtbr member
    Go Ride some bikes. If you want to ride urban or freeride you should probably raise how much you want to spend. A normal 500 dollar XC bike will handle some very small drops (2 feet and under).
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    So the Gary Fisher Opie / Mullet and the Specialized P.1 / All Mountain won't be up to the task?

AZ
    banned
    Not for DJ and Urban Freeride style riding , you want a DJ / Freeride specific bike . Check out the Freeride forum , its a good place to start to get your bearings .

Can't feel my legs
    Actually, for the type of riding you stated, and if you don't plan on going for huge drops and jumps, all the bikes you listed would work well. Just keep in mind, the Mullet is SS.

Members who have read this thread: 0