Bike choice: motobecane 29er pro vs Gary Fisher Cobia 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Bike choice: motobecane 29er pro vs Gary Fisher Cobia 29er

OK, about me:
    *) Currently ride Trek ex5. Happy with it, but want something lighter, faster, and simpler. Live in florida, FS is good on some trails and not so good on others.
    *) Have a good relationship with local trek shop
    *) 225lbs. 6'
    *) Getting in shape and wanting to take my skills up a notch or two

799$ http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...om29pro_08.htm
    1099$ http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...er_29er/cobia/ I can maybe work a small discount but not much.

The moto is a better deal obviously, but how much better? The next notch up on gf, the rig 29er, is 1539$ which is simply outside my budget. Going local has advantages though and it's hard to put a dollar value on that. I know this is a tough choice many rider struggle with. I'm just looking for an informed opinion on the difference in bike performance so I can make the call.

May 2009
    fisher and trek are highly over rated and overpriced. I wouldnt buy a fisher if they were 1/2 the cost. Having expressed my opinion I say support your local shop and they will support you.
    Get a bike you can test ride and put your hands on. There is nothing wrong with a bike from BD just if you dont know what you are getting it is kind of nice to put your hands on it first.
    MUD

My weiner is 10.5".....Oh wait...I'm holding this ruler backward.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by A from Il
    fisher and trek are highly over rated and overpriced. I wouldnt buy a fisher if they were 1/2 the cost. Having expressed my opinion I say support your local shop and they will support you.
    Get a bike you can test ride and put your hands on. There is nothing wrong with a bike from BD just if you dont know what you are getting it is kind of nice to put your hands on it first.
    Yeah -- I feel you. The ex 5 was a decent purchase but I didn't want to internet buy a FS bike. This was a good choice -- one of the pivot bolts popped out and it's in the shopt atm. I've been very hard on the bike though and it's held up pretty well over all. At least two guys in the local club ride motos and are happy with them. I'm definitely leaning there, but I feel the lbs deserves a shot at least.

May 2009
    I just have a problem with all the trek hype. Everyone gets one, they cost too much and you are limiting your options. Try your local shops, shop around and if nothing pops up jump on the MB.
    MUD

My weiner is 10.5".....Oh wait...I'm holding this ruler backward.

DynoDon
    Cycle Spectrum has Motobecanes in FLA..

http://cyclespectrum.com/index.cfm

Members who have read this thread: 0