Bike choice- Mtbr.com

Thread: Bike choice

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Bike choice

You must get this "what should I buy" all the time so apologies for the boring question but after years of not riding at all (travel, family, usual story, etc., etc.) I am keen to get back into it. I have narrowed my choices down to the one of the following bikes which are all within $500 of each other (in Australia). Any recommendations as to which one of the below I should go for? I am sure that there are many other, completely different but excellent, suggestions and I very much appreciate the thought but with my ability to procrastinate when I have too many choices, I am amazed that I have reached the decision to buy one these 4 so quickly so would rather not confuse myself with more choices! In no particular order:

• Giant Trance X2 (2010)
    • Trek Fuel EX6 (2010)
    • Scott Genius 50 (2009)
    • Scott Spark 50 (2010)

I have my own thoughts about why some and not others but won;t colour anyone's suggestions at this stage. Your assistance in very much appreciated!

Suffers From Binge Biking
    Of those four bikes, I would be inclined to go with the Giant for a few reasons. The Fox fork on this bike I consider to be better quality than the Rock Shox ones found on the other bikes. I also like the Avid Elixer brakes on this more than the Shimano ones on the Trek. The rear suspension design used by Giant is excellent at not absorbing pedal energy when climbing, which means great efficiency. I cannot speak for the rear suspension of the Scott bikes though, as I am not familiar with this.

Of the Scott bikes, the Genius is more designed for all mountain riding. That is- large obstacles, technical descents, bigger hits, etc. You can tell this because of it's slacker head tube angle, larger rear rotor, heavier weight, and a rear suspension not used on most cross country bikes. This may be the right bike depending on what type of riding you plan on doing, but it just seems like the odd one out.

The best answer though is to just go out and ride as many bikes as you can before making a decision. If a bike doesn't fit you right, you're going to have a hard time truly enjoying the sport. Well that's my answer as best as I can do... hope it helped.
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

AZ
    banned
    As a Giant Trance X rider I can attest to the Maestro suspensions climbing efficiency , much better than my Scott .

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thanks guys that is exactly what I was after. I was leaning towards the Trance. My limited knowledge and a decent amount of research led me to the conclusion that the Spark might be a bit racey & the parts of the Genius that might make it better than that Trance are only on the 2010 model. Most people seem to compare the Trek X8 to the Giant X2 but it is a fair bit more expensive and since they don't sell the X7 in Australia it comes down to comparing the X6.

I have had a bit of a ride of a few but, to be honest, bikes are already so much better than I last remember that they all feel awesome in the carpark. I guess I just need to stop procrastinating and go and tell Santa what I want since everyone seems to think that I would probably be happy with any of them!

mtbr member
    I ordered a 2010 trance X2 last month...still waiting for the damn thing in my size. Might be pushed out to feb 2010 now

But on a happier note, i think the Giant is the best 'bang for your buck' as it were...the 15qr fork and shock with boost valve are worth it alone. As for the giant stem, seatpost and bars i wouldn't worry - they are easily changeable parts anyway

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Have ordered a 2010 Trance X2, stock except that I am going to change the Kenda tyres, not sure what for but something with more tread down the centre and I will probably go tubeless at the same time. Arrives Monday week, just in time to wrap up and put under the tree for myself!

Members who have read this thread: 0