bike assembly/tuning tutorial or videos around?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

bike assembly/tuning tutorial or videos around?

My first MTB in a while - a Motobecane 600HT from bikesdirect is arriving shortly. I am fairly handy so I'm sure I can figure it out when I look at it, but I was wondering if there are any tutorials or videos that show the proper way to go about it. It would help if I start reading up ahead of time. If I can't figure it out, I can always take it to a bike shop, but from what I gather, it's not all that hard.

T.W.O
    Youtube will have installations of each component. You can go pick up a Park tool/Art of Zen bike maintenance book and those will also tell you how to properly install and work on your bike.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks. I'll stop by the local BN store on my way home from work to see if they have those books. But since I'm stuck at work right now, any online links would be helpful for the moment.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Fat-tired Roadie
    I like parktool.com. They have a new bike assembly article, which is massive overkill for what you're doing, and individual articles on almost every component on a bike.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Itchiee
    +1. Especially this one: http://bicycletutor.com/new-bike-assembly/

Still New
    I wouldn't worry too much about the assembly of the bike. Mine came 90 percent assembled. The only thing you will have to put on is the front tire, the seat, handlebar and pedals. If you take your time, it's a piece of cake. The hard part is adjusting everything. It can be pretty frustrating adjusting the brakes. The derailleurs will need some minor adjusting too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for all the helpful links!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    got most of it assembled tonight, except for the front brakes. I noticed that my front wheel is slightly wobbly side to side. Is that just a matter of truing the wheel?

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by aharami
    got most of it assembled tonight, except for the front brakes. I noticed that my front wheel is slightly wobbly side to side. Is that just a matter of truing the wheel?
    First make sure it's not play in the bearing or a loose quick release.

Pull the tire and spin it again. Often, tire treads have a funny alignment, and it makes it look like the wheel has a hop.

Once you've eliminated those two things, the most likely thing that's left is that the wheel needs truing. Unfortunately not a big surprise, with inexpensive bikes. It's helpful to have a truing stand, but you can also use the brake pads on a rim brake as a guide, or MacGyver something together with your fork and a zip tie. Find a post by "Mike T." and follow the link in his sig. to a page with some information on truing wheels without the usual tools, pay your shop, or join a co-op. I find my work is much, much better when I use a real truing stand.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Members who have read this thread: 0