to big?- Mtbr.com

Thread: to big?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

to big?

I'm wondering if the bike I just bought is to big. Its a Trek 6000 17.5" and I am 5'6. I can stand over the bike flat footed but the frame does slightly touch my crotch. Now I get home and see online it says for a mountain bike you want a few inches of room. Im wondering if a 15.5 would be better. Hopefully if so they will exchange it and order me a 15.5, man now im stressing over this.

mtbr member
    How does it feel when you are riding? That is more important than standover height. I am 6'2" and ride a 21" bike which is slightly too big as far as standover but when riding it is fine. I crash too often and come off the bike quickly sometimes to avoid crashing and never had an issue smashing the boys. So if it is comfortable, don't worry too much about slightly touching the top tube with your crotch.

mtbr member
    Effective top tube length is a more important measure than standover most of the time,
    2009 Giant Yukon FX

AKA Dr.Nob
    Quote Originally Posted by Brujo
    Effective top tube length is a more important measure than standover most of the time,
    Effective top tube length is a more important measure than standover ALL of the time.

You ride a bike NOT straddle it.
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

mtbr member
    when i used to dirt jump, a low standover was more important to me, than the perfect top tube length
    2009 Giant Yukon FX

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster
    How does it feel when you are riding? That is more important than standover height. I am 6'2" and ride a 21" bike which is slightly too big as far as standover but when riding it is fine. I crash too often and come off the bike quickly sometimes to avoid crashing and never had an issue smashing the boys. So if it is comfortable, don't worry too much about slightly touching the top tube with your crotch.
    Thats the thing im new to mountain bikes so the whole thing seems foreign in the first place, so its hard to gauge. Perhaps the 15.5 would be to small. It just made me nervous when I got home then read on a few sites you should have a few inches stand over height.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Height doesn't matter, on bike sizes, you need to be more woried about inseam. I have a 31" inseam and I ride a 17.5. It is a little close to the family jewels, and my seat is low, but it works for me. I am 5'8", and all torso. I think a 16 would have been better, but the LBS did not have a 16 when I was there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the info, can you explain the inseam, is that something I measure on myself?

mtbr member
    To measure your inseam it helps to have some help. Take a book and while standing against the wall place the book between your legs with the spine of the book against your crotch and the short edge of the book squarely against the wall. Measure from the book spine to the floor. Do this bare footed. This will be your actual inseam.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Dont stress about it I bought a new Felt 5 mo ago it was a 16.5 like you I read you should not touch the frame with your crotch . However the bike felt to small my brother bought a new Trek with a 18 in frame and we are the same height his bike fit me so much better so I went back to the shop and traded up to a 17.5 it hits my crotch but the fit is way more comfortable buy what fits you on the saddle not standing on the ground.

Awww CRAP!
    Mar 2010
    I did the exact same thing... I'm almost 6'3" and bought a 21" but when I looked in the book it said off road riding should have a few inches and I thought I only had about an inch. the bike also felt really big under me but that was just because I was new to a Mt bike.
    I'm glad I got the size I did and I think if I had gotten the smaller size I would be paying for it now that I'm a little more use to the bike.
    I also found that if I straddled the bike with my feet close together and lifted the bike up until it touched firmly that the tires were about 3" off the ground when I leveled them out. This made me feel a little better about how much actual standover height i had on the fram.
    2010 Stumpjumper FSR Expert

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks guys

Yea thats how I feel, the thing seems huge under me but I think its just because im new to this type of bike. When I peddle around my feel fine and not to stretched out. Just to be sure gonna go to a different shop tomorrow that has the one step down frame and see how it feels but sounds like im probably ok.

Also another question, what are some good sites to buy bike gear from? Not sure if there are sponsors here or whatever but I was lookin at hucknroll seems like a legit site. Sorry again if im mentioning a non sponsor or something.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    http://www.pricepoint.com/default.htm

http://www.blueskycycling.com/

Those are the two I use. And there is always Amazon and Ebay.

Members who have read this thread: 1