Best Disc Wheelset for the BUCK...??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Best Disc Wheelset for the BUCK...??

I'm looking to buy a disc wheelset for around $200,Any suggestions on what to buy? I have a Jamis dakar xc & the wheels I currently have are Zac19's,I weigh about 222 & ride hard.Whatta you think keep the wheels I have or upgrade if possible?

mtbr member
    mavic crossland. greenfish sometimes have them for... like $180 on their eBay store. I weighed 240 when I got mine, rode them hard for a year, broke the frame they where on, still never saw (nor needed) a truing stand.
    Absolute best bang/buck IMO.

I post too much.
    There's always the Azonic Outlaws.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules
    mavic crossland. greenfish sometimes have them for... like $180 on their eBay store. I weighed 240 when I got mine, rode them hard for a year, broke the frame they where on, still never saw (nor needed) a truing stand.
    Absolute best bang/buck IMO.
    I found crossride's for that much, How bout them?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    There's always the Azonic Outlaws.
    They go for well over $200 no?

mtbr member
    shimano xt hubs with mavic 317disc rims, available from most online shops for under 200 bills.

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUPASTAR2
    They go for well over $200 no?
    I seem to remember seeing them around 225, but I'm not 100% sure.

mtbr member
    Yeah ,Thanks guys,I have been looking at wheelsets I just wanted to hear it from some of you that those were good sets to you before I bought one.Guess I'll just narrow it down now. 2 people offered me wheelsets on another site would you guy's consider buying these or should I just go with 1 of the set's above?

mavic XM 321 rims built on Hope XC hubs with DT s/s DB spokes $175
    OR
    Laserdisc lite hubs and rims $150

Rod
    mtbr member
    This is what I would buy if I was you. Shimano xt hubs laced to Mavic 717 rims. I use these on my bike and they're a nice upgrade over my deore hubs laced to Mavic 317 rims. 240 dollars at pricepoint already built. Check out the reviews for this rim as well. Shop around and you may find them even cheaper. I have never had a problem with pricepoint and they ship their items asap.
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/142...c-717-Rims.htm

Here's the xt hubs laced to mavic 317 rims for 170.00
    http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...-Disc-Rims.htm

bike warehouse have the xt hubs laced to mavic 717 for 204 dollars. I have never shopped there so ask around before the purchase
    http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com...d&productId=14

Edit: I'm not familiar with the wheelsets you posted so I'm not going to attempt to give you any advice. I have used these products and they work great for me. If you can stretch your budget to 300 shipped I ran across xt hubs laced to mavic 817, I believe, a tubeless wheelset. My lbs owner uses this wheelset.

Bike to the Bone...
    I had the Mavic Crosslands. I'm like 230 lbs rider, so I'm not the lightest guy out there. The deal with the Crosslands is that for me they're too flexy. I didn't realize how much until I changed to a XT hubs laced to Mavic 819 rims. The newer wheelset made the bike feel completely different.

If you're a light rider and don't ride on rocks often, then it probably wouldn't be a problem with the Crosslands, but I would suggest going for a 32 spoke wheelset.

The Hope hubs laced to Mavic sounds pretty good for that price, thought. If they're new it's a good option, if not, go for a XT to Mavic something or other at your price range.

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone, I ended up purchasing a brand new pair of Mavic Crossride's for $160,was going to get the xt's but the store wanted $180 for em. Anyway thanks for all the feedback!

Members who have read this thread: 0