mtx
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Best clipless pedals for beginners?

For MTBing, 90% road and only 10% off road....

What are the best clipless pedals for a first time user?

Are they even necessary?

AKA Dr.Nob
    Pedals necessary? Yes
    Clipless pedals? No

There is no best pedal for a beginner and there are no pedals designed for beginners. The best pedals are the ones that can have the release tension adjusted.

My advice would be to get some cheapish shimanos.

FWIW I wont ride without clipless pedals.
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

A wheelist
    As Gumby says. I'd personally advise you to get the best you can afford though. Beginners (in my opinion) should get adjustable tension pedals (there are a couple of makes that aren't) and the more you pay, the better they will work. The best are Shimano's XTR at about $150.

Here is a clip-in pedal primer I wrote recently in response to my frustrations with the "Oh you're gonna fall for sure" crowd around here. Come back with any questions.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilders with information and motivation.

mtbr member

My 2 cents

I'll throw in my opinion...remember, it's an opinion. I was a commited flat pedal rider, really commited. Then last winter, I decided to give egg beaters a try. At first, on easy rides, I thought, "hey these aren't so bad." Then one day on another easy ride, I made a horrible mistake, I stayed clipped in and rested against a pole...when my ride buddy caught up to me and continued, I pushed off the pole and was in a big gear. Needless to say, the hard start, bad positioning of my front wheel and the ditch I fell into cost me a broken wrist. I began to hate the clipless idea. When the weather warmed, I borrowed a road bike, started riding a LOT on the road. I bought the bike, put eggs on it and found out that I always remembered to clip out at stops. It became such a habit that I no longer thought about it. On the MTB I was still uncomfortable...so much so that when I gave a try at my very first race, the night before, I put the flats back on...I finished dead last, couldn't stay on my pedals, kept losing my confidence on the trail, and realized that I hated flats...I put on the beaters and have never looked back. That same trail I lost the race on, now is just a sweet ride, and I have even learned that going over the bars one can unclip without a single thought about it.
    I learned the hard way that I didn't figure it all out before trying it, no practice, no understanding of what I had to do...all the stuff I shouldn't have done I did at first...now, I would never consider flats again.
    Roses are Red, Violets are Blue, Fireroads are fun, but Singletrack rules!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hi,

I have been riding a mtb for almost a year and was against clipless pedals. I just didn't see the need. Well I finally thought I should give them a try. Today was my first ride with clipless. I bought Shimano 520s for about $50. Read the reviews on the 520s they're great beginner pedals and then some. They also have the tension adjustment, so today being my first time I had them set almost to the lowest tension. I had no problem unclipping while riding. And what a difference climbing with the clipless. 100 times better then with platforms, I love them!

bi-winning
    Shimano SPD M-520.

The End.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    The best are Shimano's XTR at about $150.
    Don't waste your cash.

Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    Shimano SPD M-520.
    Yes.

Newbie in japan
    Feb 2008
    crank brother mallet Cs

not tensino adjsutable

but GOD they feel fantastic

mtbr member
    Time Attack, are very good peddles. you can find them used on Ebay or MTBReview for around 40 bucks. Easy to clip in and out of, excellent mud clearing and bullet proof. Happy Trails.

bi-winning
    As always, ask 3 MTBR users for opinions on pedals, and you will get at least 3 different suggestions.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Double-metric mtb man
    Personally, the Shimano 520's are what I would steer most beginners to. Not the greatest pedal for clearing mud or snow, but they have enough of a pedal to be used not clipped in and can be adjusted to a really light tension (really easy to get in an out of).
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

local trails rider
    +1 Time ATAC, except they are not very good for pedaling without clipless shoes.

Shimano 520 should be OK, if you want to keep the budget down.

mtx
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Do I need special shoes with them too then? Or can I use my normal sneakers...

edit: Did some more research and it looks like you need cleated shoes as well? Do soccer cleats work? LOL.

local trails rider
    For clipless pedals you need shoes that have attachments for bolting on the cleats.

Chainreaction cycles has some info:
    http://www.chainreactionbicycles.com/pedalfaq.htm

edit:
    Instructions for Shimano shoes:
    http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/media/te...9830600367.pdf
    Last edited by perttime; 03-10-2008 at 01:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtx
    Do I need special shoes with them too then? Or can I use my normal sneakers...

edit: Did some more research and it looks like you need cleated shoes as well? Do soccer cleats work? LOL.
    they're just stiff soled shoes with slotted holes on them, but they're bike specific.. the "cleats" come with your pedals. they're not really cleats like soccer or track cleats, its just a bracket that sits on the shoe.

biking shoes rock. the stiff sole feels great to ride in, even with normal pedals.

Better Late Than Never
    Mar 2004
    I am pretty new to clipless and can offer comments on 3 types:

The Rodeo "Dual" platform ones - They have a platform on one side and clips on the other. This is handy if you do a lot of mixed riding, but honestly, it's like having a half assed attempt at both things. Not real impressed.

Crank Bros. Mallet C's. - I found these on sale in bright blue and they are pretty neat. Hard to clip in and out of (for me) but I was still getting used to the feel. The big plus is that the huge platform gives you something to move on if you can't connect right away. A decent beginner pedal in my opinion, though most folks graduate to more traditional offerings.

Finally, the Rithcey V3 Mountain pedals - Your basic shimano style clipless pedal. Nothing fanc. However, they adjust easily and I found them to be BY FAR the easiest to use. Not sure if they are still around in the same sense as they once were (new model maybe) but affordable, under $50, easy to use, clean, and practice on. When I get back into riding more, these are the first ones on the new bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by balling
    crank brother mallet Cs

not tensino adjsutable

I have the 2008 Mallet 1's and they are great. The Mallet C's can be had for $50. No tension adjustment but I haven't had an issue on getting in and out. And if you do have a problem clipping in, the platform allows you to pedal without clipping in.

mtx
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsmoto
    they're just stiff soled shoes with slotted holes on them, but they're bike specific.. the "cleats" come with your pedals. they're not really cleats like soccer or track cleats, its just a bracket that sits on the shoe.

biking shoes rock. the stiff sole feels great to ride in, even with normal pedals.
    So I just buy the M520 and I'm all set?

$45 sounds like a good deal for pedal and shoes...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

For shoes, I hope you have a narrow foot or normal. Wide is a headache to find a shoe without busting the bank. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

cheap mtb shoes are about 50 bucks.. the good ones run into the hundreds! i got some clearanced shimanos for about 50, they're alright.. needed a new insole right off the bat though, the stock one was paper thin! i think the m520's by themselves are 45 bucks, add a pair of shoes ontop of that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I've been biking for about 6 months, and picked up some of the crank bros acid pedals (they were cheap ~$50). I liked the fact that it had a platform, so if I wanted to just ride around with my girlfriend in sneakers, I could. They have the eggbeater on the inside and after a little adjusting to get the cleat in the right spot, they work like a champ. I've been really pleased by ease of use. They aren't hard to clip out of and clipping in is just finding the right spot and practice (like any other pedal I suppose). I don't have any expierence with any others. This is just my new rider expierience.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Like the others said you need a pedal and bike specific shoes. I doubt 45 dollars will cover it, but if you can more power to ya. I learned with Crank Bros smarty and they work great, but I have only used one other Time pedal. Both pedals work fine and I personally believe almost any pedal will work as long as you're smart and don't ride a trail that's too hard for you your first few times out. Ride some fire roads or something
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    Shimano SPD M-520.

The End.
    Very good value. Work well in mud and dry, not that expensive, not that heavy, pretty good!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Ok, on a related subject, I have decided to go with clip in pedals and am wondering about the shoes. I dont know anything about the shoes...do they come with cleats or are the cleats a separate purchase....Any suggestions on shoes you can clip in but wear around for short periods without walking on the cleats?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    As Gumby says. I'd personally advise you to get the best you can afford though. Beginners (in my opinion) should get adjustable tension pedals (there are a couple of makes that aren't) and the more you pay, the better they will work. The best are Shimano's XTR at about $150.

Here is a clip-in pedal primer I wrote recently in response to my frustrations with the "Oh you're gonna fall for sure" crowd around here. Come back with any questions.
    I've been using SPD for almost 15 years, but your primer was a great read. THANKS!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Personally I would recommend the Shimano M540 pedals. Google for reviews, the adjustable cleat tension is a great feature for beginners.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Wow , This post is three years old mmacken.
    I doubt he is still looking for pedals.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero260
    Wow , This post is three years old mmacken.
    I doubt he is still looking for pedals.
    Maybe he's counting on the OP being very indecisive?
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilders with information and motivation.

Click Click Click
    The post is old, but I had the same questions, and this helped me greatly!

It's all about the FSR!
    I would say Shimano SPD pedals, and multi-release cleats, and you can change the cleats out at a later time once you are adjusted to the pedals.

Bicycle Radical
    My first pair of clipless pedals are the Time X-Roc S. I have not had any trouble unclipping and have only fallen once in about 250km so I am pretty happy with them so far. They are on the expensive side however.

Just Ride
    This:
    Sette Element Shoes w/ Time Atac Alium Pedals at Price Point

well that's what I want for christmas anyway. Both the shoe and pedals have great reviews. I've never ridden clipless, but based solely on the reviews, this deal doesn't seem bad at all! Only $100 at that!!!
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

Stand-up philosopher
    i got a pair of 520s for $33 @ amazon in july. my shoes are a pair of $40 exustar shoes from bike nashbar. cheapest clipless setup i could find.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
    Shimano SPD M-520.

The End.
    This. Inexpensive, adjustable, tough as nails.
    "Wait, this thing doesn't have a motor?" - Socrates

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by balling View Post
    crank brother mallet Cs

not tensino adjsutable

Mallets are so much harder to get in and out of than egg beaters.......

mtbr member
    While you won't necessarily go wrong with any of the cleats mentioned, I agree that the Shimano M540 are the way to go. Besides good quality at a good price, they offer a big advantage especially valuable to a beginner - adjustability. The tension screw allows you to change how easy the release is - that is, how much force and technique is required to pull your foot out of the pedal. To make release really easy and with zero learning curve, get the SH-56 "multi-release" clips. The are basically rounded off versions of the standard SH-51 clips that come with the pedals.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    To make release really easy and with zero learning curve, get the SH-56 "multi-release" clips.
    I couldn't disagree more strongly. While "multi-release" cleats allow beginners the ability to pull out of the pedals in any direction in an "oh $hit" moment they have two large drawbacks -

1. So that the shoe stays in the pedal when the foot is subjected to normal pedaling forces and trail forces, the tension adjustment has to be set high to prevent unwanted (and potentially dangerous) releases. This hinders the correct release direction.
    2. The ability to pull out at any angle does nothing to teach the Newb what they really need to do to commit the correct action to memory.

The best tool for pedal newbs is a decent quality adjustable tension pedal with the tension set really low.

mtb enthusiast
    The 520s are dual-sided as well so you don't have to worry which way the pedal is positioned. Make sure you tension equally on both sides of the pedal.

mtbr member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gasp4Air
    To make release really easy and with zero learning curve, get the SH-56 "multi-release" clips.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    I couldn't disagree more strongly. While "multi-release" cleats allow beginners the ability to pull out of the pedals in any direction in an "oh $hit" moment they have two large drawbacks -

1. So that the shoe stays in the pedal when the foot is subjected to normal pedaling forces and trail forces, the tension adjustment has to be set high to prevent unwanted (and potentially dangerous) releases. This hinders the correct release direction.
    2. The ability to pull out at any angle does nothing to teach the Newb what they really need to do to commit the correct action to memory.

The best tool for pedal newbs is a decent quality adjustable tension pedal with the tension set really low.
    I offer that suggestion for a beginner who may be concerned with being able to unclip and might not otherwise try clipless. I should have added, as I usually do when suggesting the SH-56 cleats, that the new user can gradually increase the tension as their confidence grows, and ultimately move onto the SH-51 cleats, again starting at low tension. This will not be necessary for every rider, but is a good option for some, especially those for whom even the minimum SH-51 tension feels too daunting.

Also, this rider states they ride 90% road with 10% off road; strong clip tension isn't likely to be an issue.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I started using clipless recently and i love them i noticed imediatly the diference in pedaling so much easier in my opinion i have had mishaps but never while on the trail riding only when i decide to stop and forget to unclip wich usually results in a big laugh from all my buddies who have been using clipless pedals for a while but it wasnt hard to learn at all and i have time atacks aliums and use some axo shoes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    for beginners? I suggest the Speedplay Frogs. Why? Because you can unclip by twisting out like normal or by backing out your foot from the pedal. Not something you can do with any other pedals. It's a good transition from cages to clipless or from flats to clipless. We use these as an alternative to anyone who has tried SPDs or Crank Brothers and can't get use to them.
    2009 Access 9.5 29er
    2010 Diamondback Insight RS (700c hybrid)
    Velorazzo frame build (26)

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by hardwarz View Post
    for beginners? I suggest the Speedplay Frogs. Why? Because you can unclip by twisting out like normal or by backing out your foot from the pedal. Not something you can do with any other pedals. It's a good transition from cages to clipless or from flats to clipless. We use these as an alternative to anyone who has tried SPDs or Crank Brothers and can't get use to them.
    Frogs are awesome, but they are ridiculously expensive. Unless you are a wealthy beginner, it's probably not a good idea to drop $100+ on some pedals. On top of that, they're on the rare side, so if you wanted to try out a buddy's bike, chances are your shoes wouldn't work.

entry-level SPDs or Crank Brothers Candy pedals are a beginner's best bet, IMO.

mtbr member
    Frogs have great float if your have knee trouble though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I just bought my first clipless pedals the other day. I got the Shimano M540s for $50 with shipping on Ebay. There are a couple left. For the price of the 520s I could resist the upgrade. I'd post the link but I'm the new guy and I don't know is it's allowed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    you can post links. ive posted a good number of ebay, amazon and other links.

mtbr member
    I grabbed a pair of Shimano M530's for $40 shipped on fleabay and they seem like a solid pedal, although I am a noob and have no clue what I am talking about. The are adjustable and also have a large platform on them
    2015 Intense Carbine 29
    2013 Motobecane Fantom Team DS

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for the info!

Members who have read this thread: 7