Best Bike Skills Clinics?- Mtbr.com
    J-Flo
    Apr 2012

Best Bike Skills Clinics?

I'm looking to improve my (intermediate) skills, particularly in areas such as jumping, hopping/obstacle clearing, high-speed cornering, and technical climbing. I've read the excellent Lopes & McCormack book (more than once), but some things need to be learned by doing and I think a good skills clinic would really help. I was lucky to receive a birthday gift certificate from my wife for the riding clinic of my choice.

It looks as though I already missed most of this season's clinics here in the SF Bay Area, but would love to hear from those who are knowledgeable as to particular programs or teachers that are good, and what to look for in this kind of clinic. I ride XC and AM on a 29er hardtail.

T.W.O.
    Check out Bikeskills. Ive done a few in Socal it had help me a lot. I've seen the schedule in Tamarancho.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    You know Lee does clinics right? He's doing one in Socal later this month. Maybe he'll be in your area some time.

group W bench member
    Any instructional video from Fluidride is worth watching

Fluidride Like A Pro MTB PART5 - YouTube
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Rider of Berms
    A clinic at Camp Tamarancho in Fairfax for November 11th was just posted on the schedule at Bikeskills.com =

Mountain Bike Skills Clinic at Tamarancho (NorCal)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfloren View Post
    It looks as though I already missed most of this season's clinics here in the SF Bay Area, but would love to hear from those who are knowledgeable as to particular programs or teachers that are good, and what to look for in this kind of clinic. I ride XC and AM on a 29er hardtail.

you might be too advanced for it, but Velo Girls is having a coed Mtn Bike skills clinic in Palo Alto on Oct 28th:

"Bike Skills 102 (co-ed) -- Fundamental Mountain Bike Skills
    It's time for a little dirty fun! We'll teach you the basics (and not-so-basics) of balance, weight distribution, and how to use the terrain to your advantage. Learn to rock, roll, hop, and jump. Master the art of steep climbs. Learn to descend with confidence and skill. After just four hours, we guarantee you’ll be a better bike handler and have much more fun on the bike."

I can't post the link because I am too much of a low-post count newb, but you can google velo girls and go to the calendar bar to find it.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions. I think the Bikeskills clinic at Tamarancho would be ideal but unfortunately I can't make it that weekend.

I will check out Velo Girls web info. I definitely could benefit from more foundation on weight distribution. As could almost anyone who is not already an expert rider. I understand how to do it but don't yet have the muscle memory to make it work pumping multiple rollers, for example. I confess that Velo Girls wasn't something on my radar.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    Any instructional video from Fluidride is worth watching

Fluidride Like A Pro MTB PART5 - YouTube
    Sweet link. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfloren View Post
    Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions. I think the Bikeskills clinic at Tamarancho would be ideal but unfortunately I can't make it that weekend.

I will check out Velo Girls web info. I definitely could benefit from more foundation on weight distribution. As could almost anyone who is not already an expert rider. I understand how to do it but don't yet have the muscle memory to make it work pumping multiple rollers, for example. I confess that Velo Girls wasn't something on my radar.
    Cool- let me know if you end up going to that clinic, I might check it out too if my exams aren't too brutal that week. I thinking it would hopefully be a good way to meet more people to ride with... Stanford seems to have a heaps of roadies but I haven't met anyone who regularly rides trails yet!

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Thanks, as it turns out my travel schedule has changed and I will be able to make the Bikeskills clinic at Tamarancho this coming weekend. I've signed up.

Members who have read this thread: 0