Best bike for 1200?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Best bike for 1200?

Ive been looking around but ii dont know what to get. I just want to know, whats the best new or used bike out there for around 1200?

mtbr member
    what kind of riding will you be doing? describe your trails. location will help.

there are many different types of mountain bikes and all have positive and negative attributes depending on what they are used for...

Suckin wind like a boss
    the one that fits you the best.

seriously. 1200 is a good price point to get a bike with solid components, anything you pick is going to be good. go to the lbs, ride several. then go to another lbs and ride some more. once you know what size fits you (the lbs will fit you to the bike), then you know where to start. look on craigslist, find one at the lbs, shop online- doesnt really matter. you can get a really nice hardtail for 1200 bucks, no doubt.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

T.W.O
    1200 will pull a sweet 08 or better full suspension bike.... you just have to know how to examine it and know the pitfalls of buying used so you don't have to to sink a bunch of money into it. But that is a sweet budget for used... fox front and rear shock, nice hydros.. maybe some chris king bling?

What are your measurements, where do you ride, and what type of riding do you do?
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I live in south florida, i ride mostly in xc trails, but i do some jumps. Im 6'1 about 190 muscular

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Yeah, depends on the type of trails in your area or type of riding you will be doing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I would seriously consider the Sette Derro 2.0, its priced at $1299. The bike is specked with good parts and full Fox. The bike is a 4" travel bike, so depending on your kind of ridding as stated above it might or might not fit your needs.

T.W.O
    there are some sweet bikes in your area..
    without really fitting you heres a quick search!

Trek Fuel EX 8 - 2011 - 18.5"

2010 Trek Fuel EX6

2009 cannondale rize 5

2011 Cannondale RZ 120 Four Mt. Bike
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Those are some sweet bikes for $1200. Must be nicer living someplace where people can afford nice bikes and then sell them a few years later for cheap.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Agree with pfox90 that used is the way to go. You can likely get a $3K bike that is 1-2 years old for your budget.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I think used is good, but since that's been mentioned...

In a new bike, you should be into a solid drivetrain and at least the Recon Silver (or similar) suspension fork. Most parts are going to be things you should be pretty content with keeping for at least their service lives, which should be reasonably long. The fork chassis is something you'd hold onto on purpose, but the internals get mixed reviews until you work up to the Motion Control damper.

If you don't have a ton of vert., a more jump/FR oriented hardtail shouldn't be too bad on trails. So if you spend a lot of time in flow lines, something to think about. If you don't, just stick with XC/Trail and drop the saddle if you like when you do hit the jumps.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I really wanted the Trek Fuel EX 8, I emailed the guy the first time he posted it and he never emailed me back. Minutes after he posted it the second time I emailed him and he never got back to me. I think i'm just going to wait and find a good used bike on craigslist

Flying in High in the Sky
    Jul 2011
    Will this be your first bike? I suggest you buy new for your frist bike, perferbly at your local lbs. Some of the shops around where i live give free life-time tune-ups with a purchase of a new bike. Other places are like a year or so. That's hard to beat even though it cost slightly more than online prices. Unless you are a well tuned machanic or already have a large array of automotive tools on hand, and a whole lot of time to learn about bike machanic skills i would say do not buy used. Things will break, parts will need servicing and you'll end up visiting a bike shop more than you would like. You have to put in mind the longivity of your bike also, not just the best bang for buck.

mtbr member
    If going new, I gave the Cannondale SL2 serious consideration. Ended up spending more (of course), but it was in the running late in the game.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    the airborne goblin is probably the best parts per dollar that i've seen.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slozomby View Post
    the airborne goblin is probably the best parts per dollar that i've seen.
    The BAMF Kimura will give it a run for the money, and is a few bucks cheaper...but Airborne is probably a better company to deal with.
    "Wait, this thing doesn't have a motor?" - Socrates

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by James_spec View Post
    Unless you are a well tuned machanic or already have a large array of automotive tools on hand, and a whole lot of time to learn about bike machanic skills i would say do not buy used.
    Things will break, parts will need servicing and you'll end up visiting a bike shop more than you would like. You have to put in mind the longivity of your bike also, not just the best bang for buck.
    if you find a great deal on a used bike there is no shame in meeting at a bike shop or asking a buddy and having them look over the bike. and 90% of what you'll need to do can be done with common household tools , and the ability to follow instructions. if you can assemble ikea furniture you can do almost anything on a bike.

and if your spending this much on a used bike a second set of eyes never hurts anyway.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by James_spec View Post
    Unless you are a well tuned machanic or already have a large array of automotive tools on hand, and a whole lot of time to learn about bike machanic skills i would say do not buy used. Things will break, parts will need servicing and you'll end up visiting a bike shop more than you would like.
    I see your point, but somewhat disagree.

First off, if you buy a new bike from an LBS, most of them are going to give you a free tune-up, or possibly one year of adjustments or maybe even lifetime... But that's generally a basic 10-minute tune-up or adjustment they're giving you. They may (or may not) cut you some slack on future repairs. However, if you break something, such as a derailleur hanger, doesn't matter if you bought the bike new or used, you're either gonna fix it yourself or pay someone else to fix it. New bikes aren't immune to stuff breaking on the trail. You taco a wheel on a brand new bike, and I would bet you're probably buying a new wheel.

Secondly I'm not at all mechanically inclined and have bought many used bikes, and never been burned. I test ride it, go through all the gears, the brakes, try the fork out, give it a visual once-over... if it checks out ok, I have little fear of buying it.

I 100% support buying bikes from your LBS by the way, but it's not like buying a new bike ensures you will have no maintenance or repair costs in the near future. Just depends.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It seems like a hardtail would be right for your area. The Rockshox Reba fork on the Airborne Goblin is a component you will not have to upgrade. X7 drive train components are fine. Brakes can go to SLX M665. Tires for my area would be Schwalbe Racing Ralphs performance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Check out the 2011 Scott Spark 60 I have found at my local bike shop for $1199 so that is dead on your pricepoint. Also, it has good componants. I would recommend seeing if any of last years models are out there in your size. Craigslist is another good place to shop but remember someone has probably rode the hell out of already and it has lost its new bike smell.
    See Ya at the bottom!!!!

mtbr member
    TTK8, where is this $1199 Spark 60? My LBS has the 70 for that price?????

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Bob's bikes in Boise Idaho. But I was wrong by $100 it is $1299 sorry. bobs-bicycles
    See Ya at the bottom!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    You might check out the mechanics at your LBS. Most of them will have a nice ride, well-maintained, and they're itching to get the next great thing so they have a price in mind for what they're riding now. They didn't pay MSRP for it, so they can make a buck selling to you, and satisfy their jones at the same time.

Members who have read this thread: 0