mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Best bang for your buck brands

Checking for a buddy, what other bike manufacturers like Airborne are the best bang for your buck?
    Looking at a $1100 Giant but with some of these other brands, you get much more bike for the price.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    it is funny you mentioned Giant. I found the exact opposite as what you said. The other brands that I took a look at didn't offer nearly as good an offering as what I could get from Giant. It also comes into working with the LBS and timing on your purchase. I am in Canada so economies might be different up here. I looked at Norco that offered a great bike but was a full component group below that Giant offered and was a mismatch of Sram and Shimano parts. Cannondale seemed to fall either well below the level (at slightly less cost) or above what Giant offered but at a hefty premium. I was, however, looking at an FS bike at double the $$ value you are looking to spend. I don't know that translates to hardtail bikes as I gather that is the price point you are looking at.

mtbr member
    if your "friend" can wrench, look @ Diamondback. some think they are a sub-par frame of which I do not agree but, components are usually top of the line. in your price range, look @ the overdrive pro

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Giant lacks current geo at the lower end. cramped cockpits and steep headtube angles.
    Kona has good geo.
    Canyon needs to update. When they do they'll be a good value.
    Diamondback if you've got the corp. code.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    With that price point the OP can get a Fathom 2. Looking at 27.5 or 29? 27.5 has a HTA of 67 deg. Couldn't find a Kona with less than 68. 29 is a bit steeper at 69, but it depends what you want and what feels right.

I just picked up a Fathom 1, mainly due to local support, but it just felt the most stable and put together with the features I wanted. Haven't hit it hard as of yet due to the weather here in SEPA, but from what I've done I'm thrilled with the Giant and I think the OP would be too.

mtbr member
    Best bang for the buck is any leftover 2017 which I have been suprized to still see at my local shops even this late in the year.

Other than that Dimondback/Raleigh seem to put together a modern Geo with good price piont if you can get into there discount program. There design center is local to the tails I ride so they seem in touch with the what I need.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Diamondback 2017 2018 up, i am eye balling their model Catch 1. And i also compare this catch 1 to 2019 base Stumpjumper ST $1850. But DB components are way batter.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Haro puts out some decent bikes at lower price points and also has very good customer service IME.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by xxx123 View Post
    Diamondback 2017 2018 up, i am eye balling their model Catch 1. And i also compare this catch 1 to 2019 base Stumpjumper ST $1850. But DB components are way batter.
    Get the corporate account to DB. There's also a 5% off code too.

mtbr member
    I always thought Giant did well for price. I was torn between a Specialized Allez and a Giant Defy when I picked up my roadbike. The giant with the exact same component group and similar geometry, with a carbon fork and seatpost was several hundred $$$ cheaper than the specialized. Not much you can do if it doesn't fit you though.

As related above, Haro. My first mtb was a Haro. Still works well 15 years later. Great price with decent components.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by SoDakSooner View Post

As related above, Haro. My first mtb was a Haro. Still works well 15 years later. Great price with decent components.
    I just retired my 20 year old Haro last week. I'll still ride it when necessary.

mtbr member
    2018 Giants particularly the Reign, aren't nearly as good value as they use to be... can you say Deore drivetrain & brakes!?

Direct sales offer the best bang for buck & Canyon bikes look to be a step up from the rest.

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Giant's value comes from their after-sale support. They tend to be very generous with their support to keep you riding. SRAM brakes not working to your standards because you went over the bars, and the lever is wonky? They supplied me with a new set with Giant exclusive colors. Online brands likely may have you look for help on your own--try to call up SRAM and they'll tell you to go through a LBS.

Don't underestimate the value of the ownership experience. Don't need to come onto forums to troubleshoot, just take it to a Giant dealer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I think the Norco offers good value for money.

mtbr member
    okay
    Last edited by tealy; 10-27-2018 at 08:24 AM.
    "You can be clipped in and be boring or ride flats and have a good time." - Sam Hill