Bent Chainstay - Opinions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Bent Chainstay - Opinions

This is a 2002 Gary fisher mtb and I noticed that it seemed like it was bent at the chain stay. I wanted to do some light trails and install a new Dart 2 fork that I have in box.

Please advise, I appreciate the help.

These pictures are of the bike upside down.
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15391535/IMAG0138.jpg
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15391535/IMAG0139.jpg
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15391535/IMAG0140.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    If you are the original owner, see if you can get a crash replacement discount from trek. If not....i wouldn't ride that. A crease is bad in aluminum.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I am not a expert by any means but i think frames are supposed to be that way, did the wheel hub fit in the dropouts i think if it was bent the wheel hub would not seat properly. One of the pros on here would know for sure though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    They are supposed to be hourglass shaped. That last photo looks like a dent with a crease in it though.

Fat-tired Roadie
    ^^^ agree with this. I think only the crease in the last picture is not supposed to be there. Bike tubes have a lot of odd little dents and dimples by design, to make room for the crank, cassette, etc. I'd say if it's smooth and the paint's not weird, it's probably there on purpose.

If you can't get it warrantied, though, just keep an eye on that least crease. I wouldn't expect it to fail catastrophically all of a sudden, but if it starts cracking or the paint starts to flake around it, stop riding the bike.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yup, looks normal except for that dent in the last picture. However, I wouldn't worry about it too much due to its size and location. Just keep riding it like you usually would.

Still New
    I don't even know what a "chain stay" is lol

Is this a bike you are looking at to buy? Or one you own?

Single Speed Nation
    They curve the chain and seat stays slightly to A) create clearance for tires, drivetrain, etc. B) soften up the ride slightly on Hardtails.

Don't worry about it. Also, the dent really shouldn't affect anything.

From the second picture though, looks like you might need a longer axle. When the quick release is closed, the inside faces of the dropouts is supposed to sit tight against the axle nuts.

Single Speed Nation
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    Yup, looks normal except for that dent in the last picture. However, I wouldn't worry about it too much due to its size and location. Just keep riding it like you usually would.

The Chain Stay is the horizontal piece of frame (two, really - one on each side of the wheel) that runs from the bottom bracket shell (where your cranks are attached) to the rear dropouts (where the wheel is attached). It forms the bottom arm of your rear triangle.

The seat stays run from the top of the seat tube (where you put your seatpost into the frame) diagonally down to the rear dropouts, and meet up with the chain stays. Again, one on either side of the rear wheel.

Members who have read this thread: 0