Beginners and buying a new bike and components to look for and comparisons.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Beginners and buying a new bike and components to look for and comparisons.

Hi,

I am looking to buy a new bike and I have not owned one in 14 years. I am looking at the differences between hardtail and FS. I am going to ride mostly on street, paved trails, and gravel trails but I want to have the option of Mountain and XC as well. My problem is in the comparing of bikes. Because some of the models look exactly the same but one or more of the components might be a little different. How do I know which component matters much and if the difference in the component is worth the difference in price. I want and will upgrade the bike bc i want it to last a long time. I unfortunately am one of those people who will spend 6 months online trying to decipher this puzzle and compare and contrast when i could have just bought a "decent" one and been riding the whole time instead of sitting in front of the computer, but i hate to not get the best deal, and/or the most for my money.

Could someone do a post comparing many of the most popular brands of components and how they rate their products?

If you want to compare bikes I won't complain either. LOL

Example.

What is the most important component on the bike to look for if buying stock new bike?
    Beginners and buying a new bike and components to look for and comparisons.
    Forks? What kind are best? I think Dirt Research comes up alot, at least it did 13 years ago when i had my first Kona Lavadome.

Brakes? What kind and brand? Such as I know (from a reply I saw on another post) that Shimano makes LX-XT-XTR- and that XTR is their high end. What about other brands and how their different tiers compare to Shimano.

Shox? Rocks Shox?

I am sure there are other important things that i have missed and would love to be educated.

THanks in advance

BOB

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hi,

Just wanted to add trying to spend around 900-1200 so i definitely would appreciate all the info for comparisons and upgrades for later, what is the best for starting the bike now in that price range as well.

Thanks again,

EGGROLL!!!
    Boy, that's a pretty broad question! You'll find that most bikes in a similar price range have similar components. You may want to scout around your local bike shop and check a few bikes out and then ask people to narrow things down for you. Most people find that how they feel on a particular bike is much more important than the particular components on the bike. Once you find one that's comfortable and feels good, you can always swap out components if you really want to.
    http://www.mullenortho.com Braces and Invisalign in Leesburg VA

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by eggraid101
    Boy, that's a pretty broad question! You'll find that most bikes in a similar price range have similar components. You may want to scout around your local bike shop and check a few bikes out and then ask people to narrow things down for you. Most people find that how they feel on a particular bike is much more important than the particular components on the bike. Once you find one that's comfortable and feels good, you can always swap out components if you really want to.

I know it's broad. But that is some of the choices i might face. Such as if you were going to upgrade your bike one part at a time, what would be the first part you would start with and why? Then what would you look for in that part. If 1 bike i like has say a top of the line fork but regular brakes, and another bike I like just as much has top of the line brakes and a regular fork which would u go with and why? You don't have to use this specific example but hopefully you get my point.

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Generally, bikes won't have such mixed components as a high-end fork and low end brakes. All the major manufacturers usually put components that are similar in price and performance together.

It depends on what you mean by "upgrade". It could be for lightness purposes, more functionality, heavier duty etc etc. It's VERY broad.

But, based on your initial description of your riding style and what you seem focused on (components), i would recommend a $500-$700 hardtail from an "off-brand". This means Motobecane, Ibex or Forge (by Target). They have generally less high-tech frames, but pack lots of value into their component package. A full-suspension is out of the question and unecessary for your riding. At that price level, it'd be too heavy and the components wouldn't be quite as good.

Look for a Rock Shox or Marzocchi fork (i'm biased towards RS) and probably an LX rear derailleur. Most bikes should have mechanical disc brakes, and as long as it has some sort of brand name to it, then it should be fine (Avid/Tektro/Shimano).

You're not going to find TOO much difference between the quality and performance between stuff at that price level AND if you spend more than that it would just be overkill. A full-XTR 21LB XC racing machine is NOT necessary for you. Basic, good quality components will be more than enough. Don't over-do it. AND don't buy a bike just to upgrade it. You'd be better off spending extra money on a higher spec bike as a whole.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I went through the "buying a bike on a budget" deal not too long ago, and I learned a few things.

One thing I know now, AFTER buying my ride, is that the basic things everyone looks at are somewhat misleading. Things like front and rear derailleur, while obviously important, are nothing if paired with **** shifters and crappy cable(not to mention if they arent properly tuned). What im trying to say, in general, is to try to avoid going for that one "awesome" component if it means getting other components that are two steps lower.

Other components I find that are taken for granted in a budget bike are pedals, wheels and tires, seat, cranks and BB.

Dont go for that one prize component, get the bike that's built solid all around. Then get it built PROPERLY and tuned up for the way you ride.

Peace.

Members who have read this thread: 0