Beginner XC racer needs help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

New question here. Beginner XC racer needs help

Hey all,
    Ive been free riding for about a year now, but i want to get into XC racing. If anyone wants to give me advice about what bikes to look into, please do. Let me know all that you know, cause im not sure what im doin yet. If there's anyone from Maine out there, lemme know where a good place to start is.

Bring On The Tips
    What Bikes Should I Look At?

Thanks All!

Dirt Burner
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG D 77
    Hey all,
    Ive been free riding for about a year now, but i want to get into XC racing. If anyone wants to give me advice about what bikes to look into, please do. Let me know all that you know, cause im not sure what im doin yet.
    Bring On The Tips

Thanks All!
    In XC Lighter is better - Brands Like Turner or Titus are a great place to start.
    I believe there are people who disagree with my beliefs. I don't believe they are wrong. I know they are.
    - Ted Nugent

So Much To Break, So Little Time

Sharp rocks hurt...
    Are you looking for a Hardtail or a full suspension? If your looking for a middle priced race ready hardtail look into the Specialized Stumpjumper or the K2 Zed 4.0

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Im definately looking for a hardtail

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Im definately looking for a hardtail
    What is your current bike??

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

my current bike

my current free ride bike is one ive put together

'03 Specialized Rockhopper comp frame
    '02 Psylo XC 120mm fork
    Magura Julie 8" front, 6" rear discs
    LX front / XT rear
    Alex TD17 disc rims
    Specialized Pro 2.4 front tire, 2.3 rear
    Mosh platform pedals
    Specialized riser bar, stem
    Shimano XT cranks

I would race on this thing, but it weighs 4 tons and its not exactly nimble

Dirt Burner
    Check out the Titus racer-x or racer-x 100 they are truely solid XC race bikes. The Turner Nitrous is an XC only frame and it is sweet, frame weight is a scant 4.5 pounds including shock. If you really want a true full race XC bike then these are the frames to be looking at.
    I believe there are people who disagree with my beliefs. I don't believe they are wrong. I know they are.
    - Ted Nugent

RM
    Sep 2004
    How much $$$ do you have? That is the first thing that you need to decide.

Sharp rocks hurt...
    Yeah, I was just about to ask that same thing. What is your price range?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

price range

right now, im only looking at $1000, only because im just getting into it. i figure, once i stop getting my butt kicked in races, then ill upgrade. though ive heard nothing but good things about the titus.

thanks to all and keep the advice comin

Turner Homer
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDawg
    Check out the Titus racer-x or racer-x 100 they are truely solid XC race bikes. The Turner Nitrous is an XC only frame and it is sweet, frame weight is a scant 4.5 pounds including shock. If you really want a true full race XC bike then these are the frames to be looking at.
    But remember that the turner nitrous is desgined for racing only and it has a 150 pound weight limit. Take a look at the turner burners, because they are going for 850 at supergo and I just built one for myself it it is a very sweet bike and I plain on racing mine in the spring. Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sharp rocks hurt...
    right now, im only looking at $1000, only because im just getting into it. i figure, once i stop getting my butt kicked in races, then ill upgrade. though ive heard nothing but good things about the titus.

thanks to all and keep the advice comin
    Well I doubt you will find a Titus for less than $2,000. Like I said, check out the 2005 Stumpjumper from Specialized. The basic model is around $1,200. I've been riding mine for around 3 months and love it. The only thing is the break pads suck, just replace them when the fall apart.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

let me know what you think

ok everyone,
    thanks for all the advice, and ive done some looking around today. i found some bikes that id like all your opnions on.
    2003 Jamis Dakota $600
    2003 K2 zed team $500

both are in near perfect condition

let me know what you think!

Peace & Love
    Hey all,
    Ive been free riding for about a year now, but i want to get into XC racing. If anyone wants to give me advice about what bikes to look into, please do. Let me know all that you know, cause im not sure what im doin yet. If there's anyone from Maine out there, lemme know where a good place to start is.

Bring On The Tips

Thanks All!
    Forget the botique bikes for your needs, that is just silly since you do not want to spend near $2000 on the frame anyway.....complete nonsense to recommend given what you have noted as your needs.

For getting into XC racing, a hardtail is a sweet way to go and I would venture to say that NO WAY will you beat this deal at $1100 for a definite race ready hardtail....it is near your target price and will be very competitive. The component spec is very, very solid.

some highlights include:
    * SID race fork
    * XTR rear der
    * TruVativ Stylo Team SL GXP Hollow splined System crankset

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...05preorder.htm

cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

what do you think

so far ive found a few bikes and id like to kknow what you think

'03 Jamis Dakota $600
    '03 K2 Zed Team $500
    '04 GT Zaskar Expert $600
    '04 Fisher Big Sur $600

bang
    i would race your current bike, at least for the first race. so it's not a sub-20 pound bike, big deal. get some light-weight tires (and tubes) like python airlights or shwalbe racing ralphs and go for it. adjust the fork down to 80-100mm and rage on!

Dirt Burner
    Quote Originally Posted by dtrek4500
    But remember that the turner nitrous is desgined for racing only and it has a 150 pound weight limit. Take a look at the turner burners, because they are going for 850 at supergo and I just built one for myself it it is a very sweet bike and I plain on racing mine in the spring. Dave

SWEEEEEEET !!!!
    - Ted Nugent

Dirt Burner
    so far ive found a few bikes and id like to kknow what you think

'03 Jamis Dakota $600
    '03 K2 Zed Team $500
    '04 GT Zaskar Expert $600
    '04 Fisher Big Sur $600

Since you want to go with a little bit lower cost bike, given the ones you have found -Go for the Fisher Big Sur - I tested one, it rocked and if you found an 04 for $600 then snag it fast because an 05 has a MSRP of $1429.99. The AC/DC frame on the 05 Big Sur is great and really light, the crank is not the best, but fine for just getting started in XC. I think it would be the best out of the four that you listed.
    - Ted Nugent

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyco-Dude
    i would race your current bike, at least for the first race. so it's not a sub-20 pound bike, big deal. get some light-weight tires (and tubes) like python airlights or shwalbe racing ralphs and go for it. adjust the fork down to 80-100mm and rage on!
    I agree with Cyco-Dude. If you are a beginner then a couple of pounds will mean nothing versus getting in some saddle time. As we use to say "run what you brung". You can always add some lighter weight components to your bike and take those with you if later you get a better frame.
    I would worry first about building my skills and technique. Plus if you really get into racing you will probably want to build a bike versus buying one in stock form.
    Just my .02
    Good luck!

Minor Threat
    Jan 2004

new bike next year, upgrade now

This is my third year racing coming up, hope my advice helps. Ride the bike you have and save the money for a better XC bike next year if you find out this is what you want to do. By then you'll have a better idea of what you need. It will be a lot cheaper to make some adjustment as the others have said.
    First of all clipless pedals are huge. Find a cheap clearance pair, I like Eggbeaters (some hate them though). Also lighter XC tires and tubes, but you dont have to go crazy light and thin. Find a good 1.9-2.1 with a tread that fit your terrain and perferably under 600 grams. The next best thing would be a XC fork and 6" front disc, more money but you could look around for some good deals. The single track and climbing will be much smoother. Everything else should be fine.
    As far as racing goes, dont worry about being serious in your first races. Have fun and just give it a shot to see if you like it. Don't worry about the bike, you'll probably crush guys on crazy expensive bikes.
    Good luck this season and have a blast.