Beginner upgrades- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2018

Beginner upgrades

Hello. New to mountain biking so thought I'd pop on and say hello. I've started with a rockrider 540 seems a nice bike done some off roading few hills and trails and seems to be quite a sturdy bike. Upgraded the handle grips to lock on ones. Got some Hutchinson tyres. The forks feel a bit soft can you stiffen them so they don't go down as far? Or upgrade they are suntour xcr and would only have about 100 if I was upgrading

Snow Dog
    Where do you ride/live?

What is the terrain like?

I ride full rigid, so I don't know much about forks/suspension, but just wanted to say welcome!

Others will be along in a moment to give you a ton of info!!!
    Go practice. Figure it out. - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

jcd's best friend
    If you only have 100 to spend, I would get a set of grippy pedals like RaceFace Chesters and find some flat mountain biking shoes (or skater shoes) on sale too.

If you are worried about your fork, I would ask a bike shop and see what they say.
    Trek Émonda | Transition Scout | Transition PBJ | Framed Attack Pro

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Isn't the XCR an air spring fork? You need a shock pump (about $30) and you need to adjust to pressure to your weight, terrain and riding style.

No doubt there's also a rebound adjustment to be made.

Read a manual and search for videos on adjusting a fork properly for sag and rebound.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Doesn't look to be an air fork has lockout and preload adjustment? maybe

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    XCR is available as an air fork in one version.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    XCR is available as an air fork in one version.
    It is. From the googling of that bike the pics seem to point to his bike not having air. That's what I was going by.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiarinate View Post
    Hello. New to mountain biking so thought I'd pop on and say hello. I've started with a rockrider 540 seems a nice bike done some off roading few hills and trails and seems to be quite a sturdy bike. Upgraded the handle grips to lock on ones. Got some Hutchinson tyres. The forks feel a bit soft can you stiffen them so they don't go down as far? Or upgrade they are suntour xcr and would only have about 100 if I was upgrading
    Couple things you can do:

The "inexpensive" route would be a heavier coil spring for your fork. You can find them on this page, and which one you need will depend on the model of your fork, what spring is already in there, and what your "rider weight" is (that would be the weight of you, your clothes, and any gear and water on your body).

https://www.srsuntour.us/collections...e-parts?page=2

A full upgrade will cost more than your budget, but will give you a nice discount on an air fork for more adjustability.

https://www.srsuntour.us/pages/upgrade

Pedals are a good choice to upgrade for anyone. Always look at "contact points" first. The places you contact your bike (pedals, saddle, grips), and where your bike contacts the ground (tires). They're almost all wear items, but they're important ones.

Maxxis cult follower
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiarinate View Post

Found your bike

https://www.choosemybicycle.com/en/w...40-2017-review

It's actually not a bad entry-level bike at all. Even comes with Hayes hydraulic brakes (I had the same ones on the front of one of my bikes, it did fine except for steeper downhill stuff).

Just by looking at the bike pictures I'm pretty sure he has the older XCR coil fork. $100 will not buy anything better. $175-200 will, so start saving! Actually, $100 may buy you a Rock Shox dropper post, come to think of it...
    From Ancient Times - Scarlet Skies Burn to Ash