Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Beginner....New Bike

659 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  NewbieTed 
#1 ·
First off let me say this is an excellent board for a newbie like me. Bought my first bike a Specialized Hard Rock Sport disc, Just love it went for my maiden voyage today and I am hooked. The most fun and a great workout all rolled into one. I am almost thinking about going tommorow if my butt doesn't hurt too much.(didn't have a chance to buy the shorts)All I purchased was the bike and helmut, tuesday I'm picking up a camelback, glasses, shorts, and a toolkit that goes on my seat. lucky enough to have a trail right by my house and a really good trail system 20 min away. Thaks for all the info from this board.
newb:thumbsup:

#2 ·
Hope your toolkit includes a patch kit, tire levers, spare tube and a small hand pump (I put mine in my camelback) as flats seem to come with the territory. Only other things I added were gloves and elbow pads for the more aggressive rides. I also enjoy this board a lot and have been riding for 8 months and am on my second bike (never thought I would drop a few thousand on a bike).

You really can find anything on this board as I think the following list from the ride pack list covers it all ( I am happy with the definitely recommended):

Things to absolutely buy before riding:
-- Good, quality helmet (non-negotiable)
-- Some way to carry water (bottle or camelbak).

Things that are definitely recommended before riding:
-- Bike shorts
-- A CamelBak-type product to carry both water and gear
-- Spare tubes
-- Tire levers (2)
-- A quality mini-pump (don't skimp with a cheap one, trust me)
-- Tube patch kit
-- Good, quality minitool (Topeak Alien II, Crank Bros, or Park Tool offer nice ones)
-- Gloves

Other things that I've learned the hard way to keep in my hydro pack:
-- Energy gel or some other form of anti-bonk
-- Handi wipes and/or a little bottle of purell - makes cleaning hands easy for repairs or first aid
-- Those small alcohol pads that you get with other stuff - good to clean tubes for patches and are nice for first aid
-- Some form of basic ID w/ pertinent medical info
-- Cell phone (reception capabilities permitting)
-- Spare chain links, PowerLinks (2), & a good chain-breaker tool (if not on minitool)
-- A spare rear derailleur hanger
-- A comprehensive first aid kit (such as a hiker kit from REI, etc)
-- Zip-ties in assorted sizes
-- A coupla feet of duct tape (just fold it around itself for a nice compact package)
-- Bug juice
-- Shock pump (optional)
-- Small but powerful flashlight (you never know!)
-- Pliers - I keep a small, cheapie Leatherman knockoff in my pack. It works for the few occassions I need it.
-- Spoke wrench (if not on minitool)
-- Some cash
-- Some form of a sharp blade.

Happy Trails,

Dave P

#4 ·
That was a very informative response I am going to print it out and load up at my Mountain equipment co-op on all of that stuff luckily I have 50% of that stuff on hand. Thanks for the great reply I think I saw that as a sticky somewhere if not it should be.
Thanks
Ted:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.