Beginner Mountain Bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Beginner Mountain Bike

I'm in the market for a Mountain Bike and am trying to get the best bike I can for my limited budget. I've got about $300 to spend, give or take. It will be used for trail riding, short commutes, and simple riding around the city. I'm 5'10.

After some reading, I'm under the impression I should go Rigid, or at the very most, Front Suspension. And for my budget, I'm assuming the simpler, the better, so I've been looking at Single Speed(which I assume is different that Fixed where as I can stop pedaling without a problem?).

Anways, one option I am considering is the Motobecane Outcast 29. I've read some reviews and they are generally favorable, most stating some parts are on the cheap side but it's a great budget bike.

Any other recommendations?

mtbr member
    The bike your looking at is a perfectly find rigid SS 29er. When I first came into this topic I was actually going to suggest that bike, so I think your heading in the right direction.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    While single speed is low maintenance, you are starting out so recommending single speed probably isn't the best idea. You want do want a little versatility on your first bike so you'll can get a feel for what you want from mountain biking. The ability to shift gears will allow you to go up hills and down hills at the right pace. Single speeds are fine too but you'll end up walking up a lot of hills especially if your legs aren't used to pedaling high torques.

Go to your local bike shop, see what they have on clearance and test out a bunch of rides in your price range. You will be able to find complete bikes with gears, front suspension, and possibly even disc brakes (albeit not very good ones) for 300 to 400 no problem.

mtbr member
    Even the same size bikes from different manufacturers can have a different fit and feel. Try to test ride what you buy.
    Originally Posted by Vtolds/Dremer03---- "assume any bikes left unlocked and unattended are free to take"

AZ
    banned
    Yep , try not to buy a bike that you have not ridden .

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks for the responses. I'll definitely go to a LBS before I make any decision. And what size(on average) should I be looking for as a fairly average 5'10"?

Any other bike recommendations in my price range?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    As to the size, it depends. I am 175 cm (like 5'9"), have always ridden L, or 20" frame. What matters most for a mountain bike, is the top tube length (horizontal), that is, how conveniently you reach the handlebars. Unlike the seat height, it is not adjustable. There must be some golden middle - riding position neither too upright, nor too stretched forward. Try out as many bikes, as possible, and decide, what is convenient for you.
    Right now it is a good time to look for season discounts on 2009 models. LBS may also have used bikes in good condition, you may want to consider them as well. Normally, LBS gives 2 months warranty on their parts, not full warranty, but better, than nothing. Your best bet must be a front suspension bike with 21 or, better, 24 speeds and V(rather than disc) brakes. Don't forget, you will need some money left for a spare tube and a basic tool set. If you are going to ride off road, having sealant in your tubes will be a good idea as well, it is not very expensive, but not free either.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    How does the SE Racing Stout Mountain 29er compare to the Motobecane listed earlier?

And before I head to one of my LBS, are there any other bikes that are recommended around this price range? Maybe something other than a Rigid 29er? I would like to know what to look for before I go. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I have an 09 Raleigh Mojave 2.0 and it isn't the best, but its great for a beginner like me. With a few upgrades it would be a great bike.

I got it for $270 total on clearance. I was also looking at the Giant Boulder.

Members who have read this thread: 0