Beginner - Giant Fathom 1 2019 vs Norco Fluid 1 HT 2020- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2020

Beginner - Giant Fathom 1 2019 vs Norco Fluid 1 HT 2020

Hi all, new to the forum.

Iím seeking abit of advice on buying my first mountain bike in years. I will mainly be riding trails with abit of cross country thrown in.

The two bikes I have been mainly looking at are as suggested in the title, links below:

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/3613/p...19-silver.aspx

https://www.evanscycles.com/norco-fl...-bike-EV363971

Both a similar price point as I secured the norco at 20% off RRP.

Any advice on which to go for? Or any others to look at in this price point?

Kind regards, Jake

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    My money would be on the Fathom1. SLX drivetrain over Sram NX any day of the week for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Thanks for the reply. Is the SLX 11 speed as good as the new 12 speed? I was edging the way with drivetrain and better brakes on the fathom, but didnít know how the RS Sektor forks on the Norco compared to the Suntour Axon on the fathom?

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I'm just switching my HT to a 11 speed 11-46t cassette with a 30t chainring. I don't have serious long climbs that makes me wanting a 50t. I'm sure one day I'll kick myself for saying that but we'll see. lol

Couldn't tell ya by personal experience but from the reviews I've read, both forks are pretty good. I'm sure someone with some personal experience will chime in.

Only downside to the Fathom I see but not really a deal breaker for me, is the 141QR boost rear axle vs 148mm boost on the Norco.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Thanks, I appreciate your input. Hopefully someone will come along and explain which is the better fork if any.

As for the rear axle, Iím abit of a noob with everything youíve just explained haha. In Lehmanís what does that mean?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The wider the drop out (141 v 148 ) plus the though axle is stronger , you most likely wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Almost all new riders get caught up with components,the truth is bikes in a price range are very similar . Parts wear out/break .The most important thing is to find a bike that fits,that's mostly the reach . That's mostly top tube length. you can get a longer or shorter stem , move saddle on the rails ,but those only do so much. The top tube needs to be close.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Thanks for the response.

I really just want a decent bike thatís going to last me a good few years and help me learn as best possible. Iím guessing they are both fairly decent bikes at an entry level price point.

I would have to buy either online at the minute so I just wanted a bit of help to choose the one which had the better spec on paper I suppose.

Do you have any experience with either fork?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Norco has a new frame in 2020 that has hidden cable runs and slacker and steeper seat tube. So this frame is a step toward more trail capability.

looks like the medium giant sits in-between the medium and large fluid
    how tall you are makes a difference.

if you climb more and want more modern for the future (upgrades, etc.) then fluid.

for 300lbs savings, I think the giant.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Hi Fuse6F, thanks for the response.

Iím about 5ft10 but have relatively short limbs. When I tried the large in the norco I was pretty stretched on reach so I think I would go for the medium.

I also secured the norco at £955 as it had 20% off last week, so they are very similar price wise. The giant actually comes out a tad more expensive on the cyclescheme as the store add 10% onto sale items when purchased using this method.

Any advice on the forks?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jlwhitworth1 View Post
    Hi Fuse6F, thanks for the response.

Iím about 5ft10 but have relatively short limbs. When I tried the large in the norco I was pretty stretched on reach so I think I would go for the medium.

I also secured the norco at £955 as it had 20% off last week, so they are very similar price wise. The giant actually comes out a tad more expensive on the cyclescheme as the store add 10% onto sale items when purchased using this method.

Any advice on the forks?
    Nice score. You will have fun.

5'10" should put you in the bottom range of the large. Just change to a 35mm stem. Thats 15mm shorter.

Was it mail order or from lbs as in you could test and switch if need.

Forks. A good fork makes a big diff. This one is fairly light. As in no steel. Ride it till you save money and look for a take off 35mm oem rockshox with the new damper

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/ridden-a...ike-forks.html

Then your rocking. Change air tube inside to fit your travel.

For safety. Id toss a super aggressive front tire on and trade it back to the store for a discount in the new tire.

Go tubeless.