beginner concerns: fork mount bike tray, lever-less thru axles, and carbon protection- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

beginner concerns: fork mount bike tray, lever-less thru axles, and carbon protection

I have a 2021 Spesh Epic Expert on the way. Didn't really want to go that deep into cost, but it seems bikes are disappearing. So, it was like now or never.

Concern #1:

Recently switched from an upright bike tray on the roof to a fork mount after reading about better stability and less wind noise. Any advice on typical mistakes that are made?

#2:

From the photos, it looks like the thru axle doesn't have a lever. So, does that mean it requires a key of some kind to remove the wheel? Will that make fork mounted bike trays that much less convenient?

#3: Also, first carbon bike. Any advice on protection procedures? I can remember seeing an advertisement for crank boots. I don't remember the brand, and I'm left wondering if there's other "shielding" I should think about.

Thanks.

mtbr member

Through axles are available in both flavors... with or without a "lever". Easy enough to swap out if you want a lever. But yes, no lever, need a tool (usually Allen head).
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    #2 use the multi-tool you carry in your pocket. Kinda hope you got the Evo version. I would not buy a 'brain' bike.
    Because of the failure rate and time lost in only back to Spec repair.
    Better geo on Evo. Look at the Pinkbike review.
    I'd switch now.

A lever through axle is about $90.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sponger View Post
    I have a 2021 Spesh Epic Expert on the way. Didn't really want to go that deep into cost, but it seems bikes are disappearing. So, it was like now or never.

Concern #1:

Recently switched from an upright bike tray on the roof to a fork mount after reading about better stability and less wind noise. Any advice on typical mistakes that are made?

#2:

From the photos, it looks like the thru axle doesn't have a lever. So, does that mean it requires a key of some kind to remove the wheel? Will that make fork mounted bike trays that much less convenient?

#3: Also, first carbon bike. Any advice on protection procedures? I can remember seeing an advertisement for crank boots. I don't remember the brand, and I'm left wondering if there's other "shielding" I should think about.

Thanks.
    Yes, a thru axle without a lever requires a tool. Typically an allen key. When I was removing wheels frequently, I kept a set in my vehicle for this purpose. Still definitely less convenient. If you want a lever, you can buy a thru axle with a lever. Just have to match the dimensions (most important being the length and the thread pitch).

As for which roof tray, the quality of the upright trays does depend on the tray. Some are plenty good. Others less so. Just depends.

You don't need to go overboard with protection on your bike. It'll have some and you're going to need to decide if you want more. Crank boots protect the ends of the crank arm in the event of a pedal strike. Kinda a big deal if you have carbon cranks. If they're aluminum, it's not a big deal, but an aesthetic one. Most frame protection concerns will be related to sources of cable rub. Also shoe rub on your cranks. If you use bikepacking bags, there's another source of rubbing. Some downtube protection from rocks getting kicked up (what comes on the bike might be enough, but maybe not). I won't use a 1x drivetrain without a bash guard for the chain/chainring, as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

beginner concerns: fork mount bike tray, lever-less thru axles, and carbon protection

That bike should come with a multi tool as part of the bike. Mounted to the bottle cage or some other SAAG method. Itís always there and easy to use and not lose. I might 2-3 bikes this way and it only takes 1 minute.

I have thick clear frame tape in my seat and chain stays because I have exceptionally rocky terrain. And the loose rocks kick up at times. My wife has none on her epic swords and it has faired well. Occasional scuffing on the rear by the axle nondrive side from wrecks.

Also see how much space there is if the bars spin on you. Is there clearance for the fork to clear the frame. If not, a small preventative piece of protection can go a long way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Evo-

Single Track Mind
    Just a couple things. Since you went to fork mount, a lever is probably a good way to go. Also, most fork mount racks come as a standard QR and require an adapter, 15mm in your case.

As for protection, yes on crank boots if you have carbon cranks; though, most carbon cranks now-a-days come with boots. If you ride really rocky and chunky terrain, you might want to beef up the downtube protection. I haven't found it necessary after a decade of riding carbon bikes, but others do, so it is a cheap and effective piece of mind.

Other than that just have a blast.

mtbr member
    I kept the leverless axle, with the Epic having the swat tool on board, it takes a second to pop it out and unthread the axle. For putting it on the rack I use one of these.

https://rockymounts.com/collections/...u-axle-adapter

I use RockyMounts trays too so the everything is keyed the same.