newbie mountain biker

Basic tools/ spare parts

I just bought my first "real" xc bike and was wondering what basic spare parts/tools i should cary with me on longer rides (15-20 miles). I currently have a pump, patch kit, spare tubes, and the little levers to get your tire off. By the way my bike is a 9 speed.
    Thanks

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    Congrats

My ride kit (I typically ride 3-6 hrs per trip, unfortunately generally alone, AND I bike to the trail head...ie: REALLY REALLY *BIG* problems should something go wrong):

Tube
    patch kit
    tire levers
    pump

AND...

multitool (3 basic allen wrench sizes + philips + flathead)
    small bottle of lube (probably not really necessary)
    Spare disk pads (also probably overkill if you keep a good eye on the bike at home, but I have spares and they are light and small; might as well carry them!)
    Spare Powerlink (SRAM chain)
    Shock pump (not always)

FIRST AID KIT (I make my own so I know I have plenty of gauze and bandaging material + it's cheaper overall)
    $20 cash
    credit card
    ID
    Insurance card

Food (carbs + sugar. I take what I plan on eating + at least one emergency cliff bar)

Water (3 liter camelbak, generally always full when I leave)

What I really should also take and need to go get!:
    Duct tape
    cable ties (handy for jerryrigging a messed up drivetrain to get you out; or so I'm told. I haven't had to test the theory and don't want to!)

newbie mountain biker
    Thanks, that's really helpful. i bike to the trailhead also, so i know what it's like if you're unprepared and get stuck

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

newbie mountain biker
    Oh, I was looking for a thread like that. Thank you

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I. spare derailleur-hanger (especially if you ride where sticks/roots/deep-ruts are common).

II. extra links of chain (you've likely removed these from the last time you replaced your chain. . . right? Right?) The inspiration for this suggestion is simple; it's small enough to take along and, should you torque a link(s) so hard it bends needing removal, you'll still have the spares in your Camelback (you've got one right?). Um, yeah, if you don't have a chain-tool in your "rescue-kit"....

III. Use a partially-used roll of duct-tape. The roll is easy to squash - making it portable.

IV. 2-3 zip-ties: ...trust me!

V. ...mentioned it before but it's such a good idea that I'll risk the redundancy - grab an 8oz. Red-Bull and pack it horizontally across the top of the bladder of your Camelback (on the inside) so you have a "pick-me-up" just in case you bonk.

VI. No, I'm not a sales-rep for Camelback.

newbie mountain biker
    I have a 9 speed shimano chain on my bike. i can't find any spare links that you can buy for shimano chains, only pins. Would it be okay to use a 9 speed powerlink in case of emergency.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

For a 20 mile ride...

-water
    -powerlink
    -spare tube or patches and pocket pump
    -a good multi-tool

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    If you have sealant in your tubes, you'll need some solvent (like pure benzine, acetone or pure alcohol) and a small piece of cloth to clean the tube before patching. Also, for Schraeder valves it is a good idea to carry a valve wrench.

newbie mountain biker
    Would it be a good idea for me to get a book like Pocket Guide to Emergency Bicycle Repair http://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Guide-E.../dp/1931676097

newbie mountain biker
    Quote Originally Posted by xenon
    If you have sealant in your tubes, you'll need some solvent (like pure benzine, acetone or pure alcohol) and a small piece of cloth to clean the tube before patching. Also, for Schraeder valves it is a good idea to carry a valve wrench.
    Would rubbing alcohol in the little wipes work? If not would denatured alcohol (the kind used for paint thinner) work? I do have sealent in my tubes

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by papago warrior
    Would rubbing alcohol in the little wipes work? If not would denatured alcohol (the kind used for paint thinner) work? I do have sealent in my tubes
    I am not sure about the wipes. They may not contain enough alcohol for good cleaning. Denaturated 95% should work. I have used even drinking 95% alcohol and it did the job just fine. Pure benzine is the best though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by xenon
    I have used even drinking 95% alcohol and it did the job just fine.
    Moonshine is illegal lol...but even so, 190 proof??? Is that even consumable...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i carry all that plus a pocket knife and small canister of mace just incase i run into some unruley animals on the trails (or unruley people)

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RudeSechsVibe
    Moonshine is illegal lol...but even so, 190 proof??? Is that even consumable...
    It is if either your last name is also a first name, are a Dale Earnhardt fan, Uncle Jesse is also your dad, hunt your turkey for Thanksgiving, sport a mullet/Lynyrd Skyard t-shirt combo.

Rod
    mtbr member
    I under carry compared to all of the posts thus far and I haven't had a problem yet. I take a spare tube, mutli tool that includes a chain tool and tire levers plus other stuff I've never used, power link this will work with your shimano chain and make chain problems a breeze, and a pump. That will get you out of 99% of the binds. Somtimes I take a gel on the fast group rides, but if I eat good I won't need it. For longer rides 2 hours or more or if I'm doing a ride I've never done before I take my camelbak which has my map of the local area, compass, whistle, first aid kit, patch kit, and all the stuff I mentioned earlier. I also take some food such as an apple and a cliff bar. I take some extra co2 for my pump on these longer rides as well.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

Blind biker
    On all my rides i carry
    2 sets of allen wrenchs
    set of pedals
    tire pump
    extra water
    lock and cable
    screwdrivers
    wrench
    spare tube
    light
    cellphone