Bar ends- Mtbr.com

Thread: Bar ends

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Bar ends

Sorry for rhe dumb question but why is it such a faux pas to use bar ends with riser bars?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    just a style thing. if you want them, throw them on.

undercover brother
    Agreed, its just a style thing in that aspect. But I will never use them for the fact that they can become extremely dangerous in a wreck, especially when people do not have them angled correctly. For me, I never have a problem with being uncomfortable on my grip, and I'll take bruised knuckles over a punctured rib any day.

mtbr member
    Nothing wrong with them, but just like any accessory there's a time and place for them. I have two sets for commuting and just fireroad/gravel, but on serious off road I take them off. Some like them some don't. I use them for different hand positions and they help a lot, but I take a LOT of crap about them from people who think they aren't cool (even though they don't care about my Sam Hill 5/10's and thick coke bottle glasses), but I like them so I use them.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Not initially a style thing, they simply were/are not needed anymore. The idea behind bar ends was/is to give you a more stretched out position and weight the front wheel for climbing. Back in the late 80s/early 90s when bar ends became popular, frame geometry on an MTB was quite different than it is today. Back then the average top tube length of an XL/21" frame was 23.5"! Narrow flat bars (18-23", average about 22"), long stems, 4" or more drop from the seat to the bar, steep head tube angles, etc. Bar ends were used as an extension of the bar to move the rider further over the front wheel to keep wander and front end lift down, and improve climbing efficiency. But with new geometries, bars, etc., many riders found the old bar end to hinder more than it helped. So they fell out of favor.

As something looses it's usefulness it passes through stages, from unnecessary, to stupid, to a fashion thing. Why? Because most riders don't even know why they existed in the first place, and they do look stupid, at least to them. But hey, they looked "stupid" back in the day too. However, they were useful so stupid got overlooked. And as human beings we tend to avoid things that are not fashionable in order to fit in.

Anyway, that's how bar ends, whether on a riser or a flat bar, became a fashion faux pas, unless your a XC racer of course.

Personally I say, if you like em and they work for you, give the herd and the fashion police the one finger wave and do what works.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dvda View Post
    Sorry for rhe dumb question but why is it such a faux pas to use bar ends with riser bars?
    It is not a Faux Pas to use them.

****** to the dirt
    If it gives you a more pleasant and comfortable ride than use them.

mtbr member
    Out of style? Who cares about style? I've used them since the nineties, and I still rock flat bars. Super wide flat bars, but flat bars none the less. Can't think of a single instance in which they would be a hinderance.

mtbr member
    It's your bike that you ride. If you like them, use them.

One other reason for having them is just to have an alternate hand position. I do a lot of long rides where I am in the saddle for many hours without any breaks. I also ride to a lot of trails, ride and then ride home. It's nice to have that alternate position to just kind of spin along.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash View Post
    Not initially a style thing, they simply were/are not needed anymore. The idea behind bar ends was/is to give you a more stretched out position and weight the front wheel for climbing. Back in the late 80s/early 90s when bar ends became popular, frame geometry on an MTB was quite different than it is today. Back then the average top tube length of an XL/21" frame was 23.5"! Narrow flat bars (18-23", average about 22"), long stems, 4" or more drop from the seat to the bar, steep head tube angles, etc. Bar ends were used as an extension of the bar to move the rider further over the front wheel to keep wander and front end lift down, and improve climbing efficiency. But with new geometries, bars, etc., many riders found the old bar end to hinder more than it helped. So they fell out of favor.

As something looses it's usefulness it passes through stages, from unnecessary, to stupid, to a fashion thing. Why? Because most riders don't even know why they existed in the first place, and they do look stupid, at least to them. But hey, they looked "stupid" back in the day too. However, they were useful so stupid got overlooked. And as human beings we tend to avoid things that are not fashionable in order to fit in.

Anyway, that's how bar ends, whether on a riser or a flat bar, became a fashion faux pas, unless your a XC racer of course.

Personally I say, if you like em and they work for you, give the herd and the fashion police the one finger wave and do what works.

Good Dirt
    I agree

mtbr member
    I like 'em! Yes, I rode with them starting in the mid 90's when I first got into the sport, and all my bikes had them, up until I got my last bike, which I had little intention of taking offroad, and the new bike I just got a few weeks ago.

They DID become a fashion thing for a while, but you could tell who used them and who was a poser by the angle they were set at: Relatively parallel to the ground = mtb'er. Pointed almost straight up = poser.

Maybe with the new geometry you don't NEED them, but I'm more than likely going to put a set on my new bike. I'll give it a few rides first. I always thought they came in handy back in the day, let's see how they function now.

Op it is always up to you finally what you do.

But for me when I was coming flat out on a downhill section and my bar ends got caught on a tree and my bike stopped but I didn't, for me it was the point to toss them

mtbr member
    My bar ends are more like nubbins. I cut them down to about 2in. Just enough to get about 2 fingers on or to rest my palm in an outward position. I have tried to ride without them and i just can't stay comfortable for an entire ride. By mile 5, i am wishing they were back on. Never once have i wished they weren't installed.

They do not reach out and grab trees any more than the 700mm bars would. They won't skewer me any more than the bar will. I will bet there are a lot more ppl who have been injured by the handlebars than there are with bar ends. Do ppl still use handlebars? Yup. Silly, isn't it?

I like bacon... (clyde)
    Before I put mine on, I was repositioning my hands on the bar frequently after several miles on the trail. Which, I feel is actually pretty dangerous. An LBS recommended some and sold them to me for just a few bucks. Ever since then, I've been happy to have them. I figure if they hit a tree, the bar would have anyway and I would be likely to crash regardless. At least I would save my knuckles and brake lever. I've never gotten them snagged in a bush, but that could potentially change my opinion if the result was bad enough. I also feel like they grant more stability on smooth steep climbs, though.

Screw fashion; its a waste of time.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
    Bike: '08 Trek 6500
    Color: Oreo
    Delicious...

mtbr member
    love the front end tonka loader for the bike stand. NICE!

I always had bar ends, well, ergo cane creek nubbins anyways. Having my hands horizontal all the time hurt my wrists, so having the vertical option was nice. I didn't care about fashion, I'm all for comfort.

My pugs has Jones h-bars on it now, they kindof have bar ends in a way but it is more a "cut loop" rounded section above the bar instead of a 90 degree bar off the straight MTB. I heart them!

Members who have read this thread: 0