Bar ends- Mtbr.com

Thread: Bar ends

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Bar ends

Was looking into putting a set of bar ends on the end of my handle bars. I currently have a Trek 3900. Any incite on this topic or advice? Which type would work the best (Looked into 3 different shapes)? Any info would be great. Thanks.

mtbr member
    What kind of handlebar are you using and how wide is it? Barend was the biggest hits a few years ago now it's not so hot. They offer more hand positions. I like the stubby kinds it does not hook the tree branches or bushes as much. You can also get the one from Ergon it's very comfortable.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks for the reply. The bars are Bontrager Approved Riser, 25.4mm, 30mm rise. Was looking at the stubby ones but never had any experience with them.

mtbr member
    I love the Specialized bar ends. I have them on my geared bike but not my single speed. And every week, by lap 2 at the local races I say "damn it I forgot to put the bar ends on again!"
    :wq

mtbr member
    I like the Cane Creek one they are comfortable, I don't know what is available now because less riders are using them. Check ebay or CL.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I like bar ends on my XC bike, but not my trail bike. Like others have said, it might catch a tree when things get narrow, but when you're going distance, I love bar ends.
    2009 Access 9.5 29er
    2010 Diamondback Insight RS (700c hybrid)
    Velorazzo frame build (26)

turtles make me hot
    I have a really short set of ends on a Raceface Ride riser bar. I know that isn't cool, but they're pure function over form. A couple weeks ago, on a night ride, I snagged one on a tree and went over the bars. Only the second time in 20 plus years.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I had these first but they were slick and short and not too comfortable for my big hands.

My Treks by Firehand10k, on Flickr

so i switched to these. They have a nice and comfortable shape but the were too narrow around for my hands so not yet ideal.

My 29er and accessories by Firehand10k, on Flickr

So I got these and the are pretty much perfect for me. Been having a great time with them and the drop bars i added in there.

Finished by Firehand10k, on Flickr

I think it all comes out to what you like best and what you want for grip from them.
    I did buy a wider bar to fit those drop bars in where I wanted them and still keep those bar ends fitting there.

Probably drunk right now

You have bigger stones than I do....

Quote Originally Posted by firehand10k
    I had these first but they were slick and short and not too comfortable for my big hands.

My Treks by Firehand10k, on Flickr

so i switched to these. They have a nice and comfortable shape but the were too narrow around for my hands so not yet ideal.

My 29er and accessories by Firehand10k, on Flickr

So I got these and the are pretty much perfect for me. Been having a great time with them and the drop bars i added in there.

Finished by Firehand10k, on Flickr

I think it all comes out to what you like best and what you want for grip from them.
    I did buy a wider bar to fit those drop bars in where I wanted them and still keep those bar ends fitting there.

I would be scared to death about taking a core sample out of my quads (or cracking my kneecap) with the set up in your last picture. It hurts enough running my knee in to my stem. I can't imagine running a body part directly in to the butt end of a bar end.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

Fat-tired Roadie
    I have a set of inexpensive Dimension bar ends. They're probably about 5"-6" long, and have just the beginning of a hook on the end. I find they deflect trees more often than catch them (only ever happened to me once, and it wasn't a big deal) and it's enough of a hook that I can pull back on them if I want to. I have them pointed mostly forward, with very little upward angle, so a little extra something at the end is necessary for that. I usually use them to climb out of the saddle - lets me open up my body a little more. Now and then, I use them like aero bars if I'm riding on a road or a fire road in between sections of trail.

Bar ends on risers is kind of a crime against fashion, but flat bars aren't fashionable either and that's what I have.

Depending on what you want to use the bar ends for, it might make more sense to put your handlebars somewhere else. They're unfashionable right now because homeless alcoholics install them on their beater bikes, pointing straight up, to give a more upright riding position. They'd be happier using a higher-angled stem or a set of riser bars. (They might also be happier with improved social services, but that's not a topic for this forum. ) Some racers in the '80s spent most of their time on their bar ends. Improved suspension meant that they could put their handlebars a little further away without undue pain, so it became unnecessary. I guess my point is that they're a secondary position, to do something your primary position doesn't do as well; if you're unhappy with your primary riding position, you need to address that directly.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    I would be scared to death about taking a core sample out of my quads (or cracking my kneecap) with the set up in your last picture. It hurts enough running my knee in to my stem. I can't imagine running a body part directly in to the butt end of a bar end.
    With the extension to raise them and the longer stem I don't get near the bars at all with my legs. I thought about what you're saying when I installed them but I decided I'll be heading somewhere painful enough not to notice those if i did end up getting to near them. Since the photo was taken I did add solid rounded end plugs to those.

turtles make me hot
    The ones I run are identical to Firehand's first set. They JUST fit in my hands.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo28246
    What kind of handlebar are you using and how wide is it? Barend was the biggest hits a few years ago now it's not so hot. They offer more hand positions. I like the stubby kinds it does not hook the tree branches or bushes as much. You can also get the one from Ergon it's very comfortable.

+1 on the Ergons. I used to think bar ends were pointless after trying a few. But the Ergons make sense. They are short enough not to clip branches and stuff. And they are forms right to fit your hands and still off good grip. Plus Ergon just makes the best grips, so when you're not on the bar ends, you still have a super comfy ride

slap happy
    yea i don't see nearly as many mtn bikes sporting bar ends as i used to. i use them, love them. but i do a fair amount of climbing and it's more comfortable to have that hand position/option.
    funny thing though, is many of the people on the serious DH bikes i see tend to give the bar ends a dirty look....and i have yet to do lift serviced riding this season....so maybe the issue is the bar ends are very easy to snag a tree/branch on a tight trail?

fwiw, i bought these bar ends. a bit pricey, but i love them. but damnit, i wish Nuke Proof still made the ones they used to sell back in the 90's. loved those ones.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...r+Ends+11.aspx
    Consequences dictate our course of action and it doesn't matter what's right. It's only wrong if you get caught.

Members who have read this thread: 0