Baggy cycling pants- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Baggy cycling pants

I've been looking for a while for biking pants are are slightly baggy/loose. Something similar to hiking pants.

Nothing like the tight spandex style cycling pants.

Looking for something with chamois liner but most of the stuff I've seen are pretty expensive.
    $80+

The pants is going to get mud on it, get stuck on thorn bushes and will probably see it's share of crashes so I'm looking for something reasonably priced.

Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Try doing a google or amazon search for the Fox Sergeant. Picked up a pair not long ago on close out for about $50.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    I've been looking for a while for biking pants are are slightly baggy/loose. Something similar to hiking pants.

Nothing like the tight spandex style cycling pants.

Looking for something with chamois liner but most of the stuff I've seen are pretty expensive.
    $80+

The pants is going to get mud on it, get stuck on thorn bushes and will probably see it's share of crashes so I'm looking for something reasonably priced.

Any suggestions?

did u check out pricepoint.com clothing sale section?
    http://www.pricepoint.com/thumb/15-B...hing-False.htm
    Sette Reken "Hopper" SS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joshik123
    did u check out pricepoint.com clothing sale section?
    http://www.pricepoint.com/thumb/15-B...hing-False.htm
    I did.

The link you sent me shows only 1 pair of pants available in only 2 sizes. No chamois either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I didn't really have much luck finding stuff like that when I was looking for winter pants either. There's the Endurance line of stuff, but they are pricey, not available locally (have to order from UK). I don't remember if they had chamois or not (don't think they did).

I ended up just getting a pair of black base layer pants at Target for $18 and wearing them under my riding shorts (which have a chamois).
    One nice thing is I don't have to worry about a pant leg getting caught in my chain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut
    I didn't really have much luck finding stuff like that when I was looking for winter pants either. There's the Endurance line of stuff, but they are pricey, not available locally (have to order from UK). I don't remember if they had chamois or not (don't think they did).

I ended up just getting a pair of black base layer pants at Target for $18 and wearing them under my riding shorts (which have a chamois).
    One nice thing is I don't have to worry about a pant leg getting caught in my chain.
    Could you please post a link for the target pants you got?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Maybe I shouldn't have called them "pants". They're just regular "base layer leggings", kinda like thermals but thinner and moisture wicking.
    You can buy them pretty much anywhere. I believe they come in different "weights", like lightweight, medium weight, heavy weight.
    The ones I have are pretty thin (lightweight), but they are pretty warm.
    I would like to have a slightly heavier pair for even colder days.

A lot of the people I see riding in winter that don't want to wear the regular spandex tights go this route.

mtbr member

I cant tell exactly if these are the ones that I picked up at Target or not.....I want to say the ones I got were only like 12 bucks. They work great. Champion duo dry wicking or whatever they call it. I wear them under my lycra.

as for hot weather, i tried the baggies with built in chamois, chamois tights with baggy shorts over them, and lycra.

Hot weather performance, to me hands down lycra only.

If you dont want to go that route, the best thing I have tried are some of those columbia or REI hiking shorts over my chamois tights. they breathe fairly well and dry fast.

In the GA climate i can get away pretty much with a pair of baggy shorts over my lycra right now.....my temperature stays a bit more level with the tights though.

mtbr member
    The base layer pants to get at Target are the Champion brand. I wear both the bottoms and tops on cold days. Good value. I use the med weight and they feel great.

As far as pants go, why not get some knickers if you want something longer than your normal baggies? I have a pair of Endura Humvee's that I love wearing. They have mesh in the back of the knees and zippered mesh opening on the thighs so if you get too hot you can let some cool air in. Brilliant idea. They are pricey, I bought mine at Colorado Cyclist for about $85.

If you don't want to spend that much, try the Hoss Ponderosa Knickers at Bicycle Warehouse for $33. They have gray or beige in just about every size available. I wear the baggies all summer, great shorts at a great value.

Here's the link:

http://bicyclewarehouse.com/product/...eige-12171.htm

You can always wear your base layer under your knickers on really cold days.

Ride On. .

mtbr member
    You can buy a pair of lycra tight shorts with chamois and wear them underneath whatever shorts you want. I have both baggies with built in chamois and wear lycras under shorts from target. The later is more comfortable because the chamois is not hanging from the baggys and you can buy several low cost baggies at Target.

mtbr member
    I'm thinking using leg warmers might be a better option since I can use my shin/knee guards as well.

Any suggestions on leg warmers or are they all basically the same?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Just buy a normal pair of bike shorts and wear baggy shorts over them.

Remember, don't wear anything under the bike shorts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    Just buy a normal pair of bike shorts and wear baggy shorts over them.

Remember, don't wear anything under the bike shorts.
    I think the OP was originally inquiring about long pants, presumably for colder weather.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut
    I think the OP was originally inquiring about long pants, presumably for colder weather.
    Same theory applies. Buy bike shorts and tights or long pants to wear over them.

mtbr member
    I think I'm going to experiment with leg warmers. I could wear the shin/knee guards over them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Campmor.com is a great place for anything outdoors. I have bought a few good pair of shorts and tons of other stuff there.

ridin' dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    Same theory applies. Buy bike shorts and tights or long pants to wear over them.
    But is it possible to wear long pants that aren't tights without getting caught in the chain?
    I used to wear jeans on my BMX bike and would chew up the cuff of my right leg from time to time.

But like you said earlier, my solution now for cold weather mtb is just tights with baggy shorts over them (or just compression shorts under baggys).

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    For cold weather I prefer bike shorts, then tights, then knee high wool socks, and then baggy shorts.

My friend just prefers long pants. However, neither of us have had a big ring in a while.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Check out Dicks Sporting Goods store or online. They sell mens baggy style cycling shorts w/chamios for around forty bucks. Can't remember the name, think it's Canard? Anyway they're good quality shorts. It's all I wear,no problems at all. Beats the higher priced LBS shorts. HTH.

tkerr

mtbr member
    The pants is going to get mud on it, get stuck on thorn bushes and will probably see it's share of crashes so I'm looking for something reasonably priced
    +1 for Endura's various 3/4lengths and trousers.

They aren't especially cheap, but they aren't hugely expensive either. I spent a couple of years riding around in various 'bargain' pairs of cycling shorts that wear plain rubbish. Eventually I bit the bullet and paid out on a pair of Hummvee's, then instantly regretted not just buying them in the first place. So far they've been pretty crash proof too, no rips or tears to report in almost a year.

The full lengths don't come with liners, which eats into your budget, but honestly think it would be worth scraping up the extra cash, or finding some on special offer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    You can get a cuff strap at most lbs's to keep the cuff of long pants out of the chainring.

There are many brands of running pants that have snug cuffs that work well for biking.

REI and some others have bike specific long pants with zippered cuffs.

Foxwear has a great reputation for custom clothing at competitive prices.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    what is the difference between mtb shorts and normal shorts? is there a type of shorts ,say a swim suit or athletic shorts that are similar?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by six foot sloth
    what is the difference between mtb shorts and normal shorts? is there a type of shorts ,say a swim suit or athletic shorts that are similar?
    mtb shorts have a liner that is tighter (like lycra or mesh) and often has a chamois (pad), and the outer "baggy" layer is made of a nylon and dries really quickly.

I buy my baggy mtb shorts on ebay or when an online supplier has a good sale. I generally don't spend more then $45 (shipped), but have spent a little as $30 on ebay.

mtbr member
    Try Tony Hawk cargo shorts they are cheap, light weight and real comfy. Like other post said get lycra tight shorts with chamois wear them underneath
    1.. 2.. 3... 4...........FIFFFFFFF !!!!!!!!!!

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Try the Fox High Frequency trail shorts. At under $60 you'll get a built-in chamois, zippered vent pockets, storage and waist adjustment. The suede-like microfiber is comfy as a pajama, yet as tough as cordura. The shorts have a snug-ish cargo/boardshort style fit and the chamois is antibacterial with two densities. As long as I don't gain any more weight...these shorts will be the last I'll buy for another three years. Get them here:

http://wheelworld.com/product/fox-08...ts-42482-1.htm
    Last edited by Cayenne_Pepa; 12-13-2009 at 04:55 PM.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    I wear bike shorts under warm-up pants. The ones I have are from my soccer days (Nike Dri-Fit and Adidas Climalite). The legs both zip to a point that's just about the size of my ankle. I've never had problems. I guess they might be kind of expensive to go out and buy, but they're nice if you just have some laying around.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Hoss Ponderosa

These are probably the best shorts that i have. They are great to hang out in after a ride and they have good storage for whatever. If you keep your eyes peeled you can find them on sale for $32 like me... best shorts i have found and they look good too

http://www.hossmtb.com/

Members who have read this thread: 1